Is Law Preview Course worth it??

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
jiazhoujiazhou

Is Law Preview Course worth it??

Postby jiazhoujiazhou » Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:22 pm

I am a 0L at Penn and just received an email from the law school about a Law Preview Scholarship opportunity. Basically a law firm will sponsor scholarship recipients to attend a one-week law preview course in one of the major cities. It'll be free but it'll mess up with my summer schedule a little... I was wondering how helpful the course would be in terms of preping me for the 1st year and especially in terms of networking (Since I'd be taking it in LA and the courses are taught by local lawyers/professors, and CA is where I hope to land a job after LS.)
Has anyone here taken it before or heard of it, or have thoughts on this type of course in general?
Thank you!!

prāna

Re: Is Law Preview Course worth it??

Postby prāna » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:53 pm

jiazhoujiazhou wrote:I am a 0L at Penn and just received an email from the law school about a Law Preview Scholarship opportunity. Basically a law firm will sponsor scholarship recipients to attend a one-week law preview course in one of the major cities. It'll be free but it'll mess up with my summer schedule a little... I was wondering how helpful the course would be in terms of preping me for the 1st year and especially in terms of networking (Since I'd be taking it in LA and the courses are taught by local lawyers/professors, and CA is where I hope to land a job after LS.)
Has anyone here taken it before or heard of it, or have thoughts on this type of course in general?
Thank you!!

i was also curious about this. Talked to some law students and even a law professor. The consensus was that it's a waste of money because you will learn all of that in the first year AND because you would want to relax in your summer before law school, so you come to school in Aug/Sep recharged. That mental focus/relaxation in a pretty stressful 1L semester will help you more than a would a summer course. I followed this advice. Gonna travel instead. If it messes with your summer too much, don't do it - my 2 cents.

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:24 am

It won't help you at all. It might make you feel just slightly less confused for the first few days of law school, but you'll be in exactly the same place two weeks into law school and at the end of the semester whether you take it or not. Just enjoy your precious last weeks of freedom and relaxation. That will serve you far better during 1L fall.

Mitch McDeere

Postby Mitch McDeere » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:36 am

no

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”