Do You Find People Aging Faster in Biglaw?

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
User avatar
scifiguy
Posts: 575
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:41 pm

Do You Find People Aging Faster in Biglaw?

Postby scifiguy » Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:43 am

We've all heard that stress ages you and there's research suggesting that it may also take years off your life. I'm wondering if people have seen noticeable differences in their biglaw peers' physical appearance/age and their health?

And, likewise, do you guys find similar patterns in other areas of law (mid...small..)?

User avatar
Ruxin1
Posts: 1284
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:12 pm

Re: Do You Find People Aging Faster in Biglaw?

Postby Ruxin1 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:55 am

Please stop making threads.

User avatar
Tom Joad
Posts: 4542
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:56 pm

Re: Do You Find People Aging Faster in Biglaw?

Postby Tom Joad » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:03 am

Ruxin1 wrote:Please stop making threads.

I was trying to make a scifiguy parody account without getting banned, but apparently TLS prevents people from registering new accounts using TOR. But damn, I think the joke is played out.

El Principe
Posts: 551
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:10 am

Re: Do You Find People Aging Faster in Biglaw?

Postby El Principe » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:05 am

Lulz delivered :lol:

User avatar
scifiguy
Posts: 575
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:41 pm

Re: Do You Find People Aging Faster in Biglaw?

Postby scifiguy » Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:38 am

Ruxin1 wrote:Please stop making threads.



I will. But I do find this a topic of interest.

User avatar
kay2016
Posts: 1121
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:23 am

Re: Do You Find People Aging Faster in Biglaw?

Postby kay2016 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:00 am

TLS users are aging faster due to your random threads... :roll:

jwinaz
Posts: 179
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:03 pm

Re: Do You Find People Aging Faster in Biglaw?

Postby jwinaz » Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:31 pm

So does smoking, alcohol, sugar, sun exposure, etc. ... (I mean with aging.)

Each does so at different rates and depending on consumption levels, but if you combine them altogether you might just start looking 10 years older than you really are. A friend of mine aged quite rapidly from smoking and drinking a lot.

For the effects of stress, you can Google "Presidents / stress / aging." It happens. You may get grey hairs and wrinkles faster from stressful jobs.

User avatar
mephistopheles
Posts: 1947
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:43 am

Re: Do You Find People Aging Faster in Biglaw?

Postby mephistopheles » Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:23 pm

Tom Joad wrote:I think the joke is played out.



it would be if it was a joke.

User avatar
scifiguy
Posts: 575
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:41 pm

Re: Do You Find People Aging Faster in Biglaw?

Postby scifiguy » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:59 am

kayleighcheyenne wrote:TLS users are aging faster due to your random threads... :roll:



Now that was funny. lol. ohhhh nooooo!!! Very seriously, I shall STOP then! :shock:

I read this today too while Googling the topic more:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/1 ... 47000.html

It lists 5 ways chronic stress can affect aging...

1. Job Stress Can Damage Cells, Leading To Early Aging.
2. Even The Anticipation Of Stress May Accelerate Cellular Aging.
3. Stress Ages The Brain.
4. Stress Can Lead To Vision & Hearing Loss.
5. Chronic Stress Can Contribute To An Unhealthy Lifestyle.

Buit check out #2. Even antipicating stress can age you faster. :cry:

mephistopheles wrote:
Tom Joad wrote:I think the joke is played out.



it would be if it was a joke.


I actually think many people may not weigh in these serious potential consequences of working in a stressful job when deciding to do it or not. I mean I think people recognize there will be stress, but I think people don't always stop and think at what cost to my health (specifics and more subtle costs) ...or other costs ...it might have.


jwinaz wrote:So does smoking, alcohol, sugar, sun exposure, etc. ... (I mean with aging.)

Each does so at different rates and depending on consumption levels, but if you combine them altogether you might just start looking 10 years older than you really are. A friend of mine aged quite rapidly from smoking and drinking a lot.

For the effects of stress, you can Google "Presidents / stress / aging." It happens. You may get grey hairs and wrinkles faster from stressful jobs.


Yup, so does eating too much meat I think ....I'd have to double check that one though.

User avatar
scifiguy
Posts: 575
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:41 pm

Re: Do You Find People Aging Faster in Biglaw?

Postby scifiguy » Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:58 am

Tom Joad wrote:
Ruxin1 wrote:Please stop making threads.

I was trying to make a scifiguy parody account without getting banned, but apparently TLS prevents people from registering new accounts using TOR. But damn, I think the joke is played out.


Hmmmm.




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Whittie and 4 guests