Where to live for Pitt law?

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
whatsEwingdoing

Where to live for Pitt law?

Postby whatsEwingdoing » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:07 pm

Hello, I've decided on Pitt Law for 2016. I live at home currently, about 30 minutes outside of the city. I don't want to commute to law school, I'm gonna be spending too much of my time reading in a library to deal with driving back and forth everyday. Pitt recently gave me a ten thousand dollar scholarship, so I am most certainly moving out and into the city. Any Pitt grads have any good advice on where to live? I've heard Shadyside is great if you find a roommate or two. Thanks, any advice is appreciated.

Gamecubesupreme

Re: Where to live for Pitt law?

Postby Gamecubesupreme » Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:27 pm

I would recommend Oak Hill Apartment, especially if you can find a house mate to live together.

--LinkRemoved--

Rent is only around $1000, so if you live with a house mate, you each would only have to pay around $500.

Great neighborhood, IMO. Really close to the school too.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:43 pm

I live in Squirrel Hill and I think it is the best neighborhood in Pittsburgh and close to everything. 5 min drive to the law school, 5 min drive to night life, arguably safest area in the entire city.

Lacepiece23

Postby Lacepiece23 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:50 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:I live in Squirrel Hill and I think it is the best neighborhood in Pittsburgh and close to everything. 5 min drive to the law school, 5 min drive to night life, arguably safest area in the entire city.

debatable about being the best neighborhood in pittsburgh... sorry just my city so i'd have to disagree.

whatsEwingdoing

Postby whatsEwingdoing » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:22 am

I heard Oakland is a bit shady sometimes haha any living advice within walking distance to Pitt Law?

Younger Abstention

Postby Younger Abstention » Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:28 am

A friend got jumped while he was living in Oakland for Pitt UG so be careful, but it doesn't seem like a terrible neighborhood and this was years ago. Shadyside is another option quite close.

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:32 am

whatsEwingdoing wrote:I heard Oakland is a bit shady sometimes haha any living advice within walking distance to Pitt Law?

Parts of Oakland are definitely shady. Apartments that are close to Pitt or one of the hospitals will be safer, generally.
Shadyside or squirrel hill are decent neighborhoods with a lot of housing, but you'd likely have to bus/bike. Pitt UGs get free busing, not sure about law students.
If you do get housing in Oakland, make sure it's legitimately in Oakland. Some properties on CL claim to be in Oakland but are actually in the Hill district.

Kage3212

Postby Kage3212 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:55 pm

Stay out of Oakland. Go with either Shadyside, Sq. Hill, or Southside. Hitch up with some dudes/dudettes on the facebook group to make rent more reasonable.

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:50 pm

Kage3212 wrote:Stay out of Oakland. Go with either Shadyside, Sq. Hill, or Southside. Hitch up with some dudes/dudettes on the facebook group to make rent more reasonable.

Eh, Southside is infested with undergrads. I wouldn't live there got law school.

UnfrozenCaveman

Postby UnfrozenCaveman » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:06 pm

Do you want to walk to class? Love the city, but Pittsburgh is a pain for that...

whatsEwingdoing

Postby whatsEwingdoing » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:13 am

Yes I definitely want to walk to class (and by class I also mean walking to the law library for hours on end). I want to get a place where I can get to Pitt within a 10 minute walk. Oakland? Shadyside? I guess I'll just have to wait it out on CL and see what pops up.

Incubateus

Postby Incubateus » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:33 am

I grew up in Pittsburgh, went there undergrad, and lived there for a few years after. I've lived in shadyside, greenfield, squirrel hill, east liberty/highland park, friendship, south oakland, and north oakland. I would live in friendship if I was going back now. -- especially for law school. Shadyside is overpriced. Greenfield is too removed. Squirrel Hill is not active enough for me. East Liberty is too much of a shit hole. Highland Park is too far and mostly too family oriented. South Oakland is too dirty/loud/should be condemned. North Oakland wasn't too bad. It's a little overpriced, but I didn't mind living on North Neville. Friendship is awesome for law school. It's quiet, free parking, walking distance from shadyside, walking distance (15/20 minutes)/bus to school (5 min). Unless things have changed, your law school ID is a free bus pass. Friendship also has some awesome architecture. It's big, spacious, and not pricey for what you get. You're also close to some of the cool things springing up in Garfield. You can always walk down or bus down to Oakland for the night (the Pitt buses run up to the bottom of South Aiken). All in all, I highly recommend it. I was thinking about Pitt last year and was thinking about living there. Any other questions feel free to PM me.

whatsEwingdoing

Postby whatsEwingdoing » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:27 pm

Awesome! Thank you all for the advice!

UnfrozenCaveman

Postby UnfrozenCaveman » Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:31 pm

+1 to this advice, from what I know/have heard. A friend of mine lived in Friendship while she went to Pitt Law and it seemed to work great. Also Bloomfield...

Incubateus wrote:I grew up in Pittsburgh, went there undergrad, and lived there for a few years after. I've lived in shadyside, greenfield, squirrel hill, east liberty/highland park, friendship, south oakland, and north oakland. I would live in friendship if I was going back now. -- especially for law school. Shadyside is overpriced. Greenfield is too removed. Squirrel Hill is not active enough for me. East Liberty is too much of a shit hole. Highland Park is too far and mostly too family oriented. South Oakland is too dirty/loud/should be condemned. North Oakland wasn't too bad. It's a little overpriced, but I didn't mind living on North Neville. Friendship is awesome for law school. It's quiet, free parking, walking distance from shadyside, walking distance (15/20 minutes)/bus to school (5 min). Unless things have changed, your law school ID is a free bus pass. Friendship also has some awesome architecture. It's big, spacious, and not pricey for what you get. You're also close to some of the cool things springing up in Garfield. You can always walk down or bus down to Oakland for the night (the Pitt buses run up to the bottom of South Aiken). All in all, I highly recommend it. I was thinking about Pitt last year and was thinking about living there. Any other questions feel free to PM me.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”