Prestige of Law Firms that Recruit at Michigan or Duke

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
curious66

Prestige of Law Firms that Recruit at Michigan or Duke

Postby curious66 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:03 am

Hi,

So, I am deciding between Michigan and Duke -- and someone mentioned to pick Michigan due to the kinds/prestige of the firms that recruit at Michigan. Something to the effect of the top firms recruiting at Michigan. The school mentions this on the website also, but I wanted to get a perspective from someone who actually attends and has gone through OCI. At Duke ASW, they handed out a long list of firms that folks had gone to and Michigan has something similar posted on their website. I'm really torn between the two schools. Thoughts please.

KidStuddi

Re: Prestige of Law Firms that Recruit at Michigan or Duke

Postby KidStuddi » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:00 pm

Prestige, especially when it comes to prospective law firms, should be irrelevant in your decision. You're getting way ahead of yourself; merely attending Duke or Michigan isn't going to guarantee you a "prestigious" job. You'll need exceptional grades before that is even a possibility. With exceptional grades from either Duke or Michigan, you'll have plenty of shots at great firms. Furthermore, any real hierarchy there is among law firms is almost always regional. Michigan will have the "top" midwest firms and Duke will have the "top" southern firms. Both will have solid representation from among the "top" NYC firms. Niether is going to place particularly well in D.C. Go to the school nearer whichever geographic market you prefer to start your career in.

Elston Gunn

Postby Elston Gunn » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:35 pm

This post represents so much ignorance about legal hiring that I don't even know how to answer it. Spend a lot of time on places like the Legal Employment forum and things will be a little clearer.

The top firms pretty much recruit at all the T14s, and even if they don't specifically go to the on campus interview program, they will still consider applications from high achieving T14 students. The important question is how low grades-wise firms are willing to dip into the class and how many students they are willing to take from each school. Grade cutoffs are likely to be pretty similar for firms at Michigan and Duke, with perhaps the midwest firms preferring Michigan students and southern firms preferring Duke. (Caveat: Duke has pretty consistently outperformed Michigan in big firm hiring lately.) How much money are you getting in scholarships from these schools? What are your other options?

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:37 pm

Last edited by rad lulz on Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:05 pm

Pick whichever one is cheaper. If they're the same price, pick whichever one you like better.

/thread

curious66

Postby curious66 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:11 pm

Elston Gunn wrote:This post represents so much ignorance about legal hiring that I don't even know how to answer it. Spend a lot of time on places like the Legal Employment forum and things will be a little clearer.

The top firms pretty much recruit at all the T14s, and even if they don't specifically go to the on campus interview program, they will still consider applications from high achieving T14 students. The important question is how low grades-wise firms are willing to dip into the class and how many students they are willing to take from each school. Grade cutoffs are likely to be pretty similar for firms at Michigan and Duke, with perhaps the midwest firms preferring Michigan students and southern firms preferring Duke. (Caveat: Duke has pretty consistently outperformed Michigan in big firm hiring lately.) How much money are you getting in scholarships from these schools? What are your other options?

Yes, I understand the above median and going deeper in the class -- but it was mentioned by another friend as we were discussing schools and I will be the first lawyer in our family (assuming I make it :), so, thought I would ask here for advice.

Scholly difference is $45K between the two (Mich is giving the scholly, sticker at Duke). Other options are Cornell and Georgetown (at sticker), Vandy (30K) and UCLA (90K, but not in the running).

KidStuddi

Postby KidStuddi » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:00 pm

curious66 wrote:Yes, I understand the above median and going deeper in the class -- but it was mentioned by another friend as we were discussing schools and I will be the first lawyer in our family (assuming I make it :), so, thought I would ask here for advice.

Scholly difference is $45K between the two (Mich is giving the scholly, sticker at Duke). Other options are Cornell and Georgetown (at sticker), Vandy (30K) and UCLA (90K, but not in the running).

Well, rest assured that your friend is misinformed. Also, if this friend actually uses the word prestige while attempting to help you make a major life decision, you should probably seek the counsel of a less vapid friend.

Absent a geographic preference for the south east, Michigan is the only rational choice.

run26.2

Postby run26.2 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:10 am

KidStuddi wrote:
curious66 wrote:Yes, I understand the above median and going deeper in the class -- but it was mentioned by another friend as we were discussing schools and I will be the first lawyer in our family (assuming I make it :), so, thought I would ask here for advice.

Well, rest assured that your friend is misinformed. Also, if this friend actually uses the word prestige while attempting to help you make a major life decision, you should probably seek the counsel of a less vapid friend.

Absent a geographic preference for the south east, Michigan is the only rational choice.

Agreed that prestige is probably not the best basis for selecting your eventual firm.

Culture, for instance, is one factor that I would consider ahead of prestige. I know several people who worked at Cravath or Wachtell that lateralled to "less prestigious" firms (based on vault ranking), and they weren't partners, so they likely took a pay cut to do so.
Last edited by run26.2 on Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:16 am

Michigan is cheaper, go there. Don't pay sticker at Cornell/GULC/Duke.

/thread

curious66

Postby curious66 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:49 am

thanks everyone for the insight! Much appreciated. I was very drawn to Duke when I visited, but I don't necessarily have any ties to that region and the finances are non trivial for me to go to law school (even though I have some help from relatives).

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”