Registering for classes and I want to change my major

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Sanaa
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:02 pm

Registering for classes and I want to change my major

Postby Sanaa » Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:21 pm

I am interested in going to Law School to pursue a career in Corporate Law, however I was wondering how switching majors would impact my abilities to pursue this goal. I thought I was interested in majoring in Finance, but one of the pre-requisite courses I am in is KILLING ME (Financial Accounting) and I am thinking about completely changing my major. Perhaps a double major in Sociology and Art History since I love both almost equally; I was thinking that instead of majoring in Finance I could take some classes in the concentration but not declare as a BBA. WHAT SHALL I DO!?!?

User avatar
FKASunny
Posts: 3904
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:40 am

Re: Registering for classes and I want to change my major

Postby FKASunny » Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:30 pm

Sanaa wrote:I am interested in going to Law School to pursue a career in Corporate Law, however I was wondering how switching majors would impact my abilities to pursue this goal. I thought I was interested in majoring in Finance, but one of the pre-requisite courses I am in is KILLING ME (Financial Accounting) and I am thinking about completely changing my major. Perhaps a double major in Sociology and Art History since I love both almost equally; I was thinking that instead of majoring in Finance I could take some classes in the concentration but not declare as a BBA. WHAT SHALL I DO!?!?

What kind of school do you go to? Would you be able to actually use your finance degree as a fallback option in case you can't kill the LSAT? If yes, then try to rough it out in finance if you're actually interested in it and do everything you can to get A's. If you go to Giant Faceless State U, then switch majors and focus on enjoying yourself and killing the LSAT.

Sanaa
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:02 pm

Re: Registering for classes and I want to change my major

Postby Sanaa » Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:34 pm

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) wrote:
Sanaa wrote:I am interested in going to Law School to pursue a career in Corporate Law, however I was wondering how switching majors would impact my abilities to pursue this goal. I thought I was interested in majoring in Finance, but one of the pre-requisite courses I am in is KILLING ME (Financial Accounting) and I am thinking about completely changing my major. Perhaps a double major in Sociology and Art History since I love both almost equally; I was thinking that instead of majoring in Finance I could take some classes in the concentration but not declare as a BBA. WHAT SHALL I DO!?!?

What kind of school do you go to? Would you be able to actually use your finance degree as a fallback option in case you can't kill the LSAT? If yes, then try to rough it out in finance if you're actually interested in it and do everything you can to get A's. If you go to Giant Faceless State U, then switch majors and focus on enjoying yourself and killing the LSAT.



I attend Emory University, and if I went through with the Finance major I would be enrolled in the Goizueta Business School. Financial Accounting is the DEVIL!!!

User avatar
FKASunny
Posts: 3904
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:40 am

Re: Registering for classes and I want to change my major

Postby FKASunny » Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:38 pm

Sanaa wrote:I attend Emory University, and if I went through with the Finance major I would be enrolled in the Goizueta Business School. Financial Accounting is the DEVIL!!!

If you're having this much trouble with a prereq, then I'd say you might want to switch. Your GPA is going to be much more important than your major. The only time it's really advisable to risk a hit on your GPA is for a major that will give you more than an outside chance of landing a good job right out of school or is one of those known for their difficulty (think finance from Princeton for the former and hard science degrees for the latter.) However, if you're going to go the liberal arts route, be sure to choose something you could see yourself being passionate about or you're in major trouble. It's difficult to keep churning out BS papers if you don't actually care about the subject matter.

User avatar
Emma.
Posts: 2401
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:57 pm

Re: Registering for classes and I want to change my major

Postby Emma. » Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:39 pm

Sanaa wrote:
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) wrote:
Sanaa wrote:I am interested in going to Law School to pursue a career in Corporate Law, however I was wondering how switching majors would impact my abilities to pursue this goal. I thought I was interested in majoring in Finance, but one of the pre-requisite courses I am in is KILLING ME (Financial Accounting) and I am thinking about completely changing my major. Perhaps a double major in Sociology and Art History since I love both almost equally; I was thinking that instead of majoring in Finance I could take some classes in the concentration but not declare as a BBA. WHAT SHALL I DO!?!?

What kind of school do you go to? Would you be able to actually use your finance degree as a fallback option in case you can't kill the LSAT? If yes, then try to rough it out in finance if you're actually interested in it and do everything you can to get A's. If you go to Giant Faceless State U, then switch majors and focus on enjoying yourself and killing the LSAT.



I attend Emory University, and if I went through with the Finance major I would be enrolled in the Goizueta Business School. Financial Accounting is the DEVIL!!!


If you can't handle UG Financial Accounting, being a corporate attorney might not be the right career path.

Sanaa
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:02 pm

Re: Registering for classes and I want to change my major

Postby Sanaa » Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:41 pm

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) wrote:
Sanaa wrote:I attend Emory University, and if I went through with the Finance major I would be enrolled in the Goizueta Business School. Financial Accounting is the DEVIL!!!

If you're having this much trouble with a prereq, then I'd say you might want to switch. Your GPA is going to be much more important than your major. The only time it's really advisable to risk a hit on your GPA is for a major that will give you more than an outside chance of landing a good job right out of school or is one of those known for their difficulty (think finance from Princeton for the former and hard science degrees for the latter.) However, if you're going to go the liberal arts route, be sure to choose something you could see yourself being passionate about or you're in major trouble. It's difficult to keep churning out BS papers if you don't actually care about the subject matter.


Okay, this helps. I have the rest of the summer to think about this but I honestly think I am done with the whole BBA deal.

Feel free to leave more comments!

Also, could I learn some of this 'Corporate Law' stuff while in Law School like Private Equity, Real Estate, and the like?

Sanaa
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:02 pm

Re: Registering for classes and I want to change my major

Postby Sanaa » Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:45 pm

Emma. wrote:
Sanaa wrote:
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) wrote:
Sanaa wrote:I am interested in going to Law School to pursue a career in Corporate Law, however I was wondering how switching majors would impact my abilities to pursue this goal. I thought I was interested in majoring in Finance, but one of the pre-requisite courses I am in is KILLING ME (Financial Accounting) and I am thinking about completely changing my major. Perhaps a double major in Sociology and Art History since I love both almost equally; I was thinking that instead of majoring in Finance I could take some classes in the concentration but not declare as a BBA. WHAT SHALL I DO!?!?

What kind of school do you go to? Would you be able to actually use your finance degree as a fallback option in case you can't kill the LSAT? If yes, then try to rough it out in finance if you're actually interested in it and do everything you can to get A's. If you go to Giant Faceless State U, then switch majors and focus on enjoying yourself and killing the LSAT.



I attend Emory University, and if I went through with the Finance major I would be enrolled in the Goizueta Business School. Financial Accounting is the DEVIL!!!


If you can't handle UG Financial Accounting, being a corporate attorney might not be the right career path.



Well, from what I heard...Accounting is more geared towards persons who are looking at doing Tax Law, that is NOT what I would like to do. The Finance and Accounting majors at my school are two separate things, I just hate Financial Accounting!

User avatar
Xs20
Posts: 821
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:03 pm

Re: Registering for classes and I want to change my major

Postby Xs20 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:46 pm

FWIW I think financial accounting can be intimidating because it's usually one of the first classes you take and all of those concepts are brand new to you. Everything else tends to build off of that, so once you get past the prereqs and get into your finance courses, things become easier to grasp. I hated financial accounting and accounting in general, but finance classes are much different and, IMO, much more interesting.

User avatar
Emma.
Posts: 2401
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:57 pm

Re: Registering for classes and I want to change my major

Postby Emma. » Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:48 pm

Sanaa wrote:
Well, from what I heard...Accounting is more geared towards persons who are looking at doing Tax Law, that is NOT what I would like to do. The Finance and Accounting majors at my school are two separate things, I just hate Financial Accounting!


At my firm this summer (in the corporate group) I asked around the associates to see if there were any classes they'd particularly recommend as being good prep for practice. Financial Accounting was the class that got the single most recommendations.

Sanaa
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:02 pm

Re: Registering for classes and I want to change my major

Postby Sanaa » Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:51 pm

Xs20 wrote:FWIW I think financial accounting can be intimidating because it's usually one of the first classes you take and all of those concepts are brand new to you. Everything else tends to build off of that, so once you get past the prereqs and get into your finance courses, things become easier to grasp. I hated financial accounting and accounting in general, but finance classes are much different and, IMO, much more interesting.


Yeah...I am just really impatient and want to jump into Finance right away. Not only that, but I still have to take Managerial Accounting, and I am not looking forward to that AT ALL! Afterwards, the Accounting bit will be over, but I just don't like it.

Sanaa
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:02 pm

Re: Registering for classes and I want to change my major

Postby Sanaa » Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:53 pm

Emma. wrote:
Sanaa wrote:
Well, from what I heard...Accounting is more geared towards persons who are looking at doing Tax Law, that is NOT what I would like to do. The Finance and Accounting majors at my school are two separate things, I just hate Financial Accounting!


At my firm this summer (in the corporate group) I asked around the associates to see if there were any classes they'd particularly recommend as being good prep for practice. Financial Accounting was the class that got the single most recommendations.


Okay, I just don't like the class. I agree that it has given good insight into the Accounting perspective of Business, but I want the Finance part...Grrr! Sorry, I am just really frustrated right now, I register for classes in like seven minutes and I am freaking out! Add/Drop/Swap is GOD!

User avatar
Xs20
Posts: 821
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:03 pm

Re: Registering for classes and I want to change my major

Postby Xs20 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:57 pm

Sanaa wrote:
Xs20 wrote:FWIW I think financial accounting can be intimidating because it's usually one of the first classes you take and all of those concepts are brand new to you. Everything else tends to build off of that, so once you get past the prereqs and get into your finance courses, things become easier to grasp. I hated financial accounting and accounting in general, but finance classes are much different and, IMO, much more interesting.


Yeah...I am just really impatient and want to jump into Finance right away. Not only that, but I still have to take Managerial Accounting, and I am not looking forward to that AT ALL! Afterwards, the Accounting bit will be over, but I just don't like it.

Managerial, in my experience, is way easier than financial. I went into it thinking I was going to hate it, too, and ended up being like "oh, this isn't that bad." If you can "get" financial, even if you hate it, managerial will be easy. After that, you'll likely never have to journalize another entry or any of that BS, but do make sure that you understand the basic building blocks of it. I say stick it out and don't let financial scare you off.

User avatar
Emma.
Posts: 2401
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:57 pm

Re: Registering for classes and I want to change my major

Postby Emma. » Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:58 pm

Sanaa wrote:
Emma. wrote:
Sanaa wrote:
Well, from what I heard...Accounting is more geared towards persons who are looking at doing Tax Law, that is NOT what I would like to do. The Finance and Accounting majors at my school are two separate things, I just hate Financial Accounting!


At my firm this summer (in the corporate group) I asked around the associates to see if there were any classes they'd particularly recommend as being good prep for practice. Financial Accounting was the class that got the single most recommendations.


Okay, I just don't like the class. I agree that it has given good insight into the Accounting perspective of Business, but I want the Finance part...Grrr! Sorry, I am just really frustrated right now, I register for classes in like seven minutes and I am freaking out! Add/Drop/Swap is GOD!


Just whatever you do, don't switch to a worthless program like Sociology/Art History.

Sanaa
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:02 pm

Re: Registering for classes and I want to change my major

Postby Sanaa » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:05 pm

Emma. wrote:
Sanaa wrote:
Emma. wrote:
Sanaa wrote:
Well, from what I heard...Accounting is more geared towards persons who are looking at doing Tax Law, that is NOT what I would like to do. The Finance and Accounting majors at my school are two separate things, I just hate Financial Accounting!


At my firm this summer (in the corporate group) I asked around the associates to see if there were any classes they'd particularly recommend as being good prep for practice. Financial Accounting was the class that got the single most recommendations.


Okay, I just don't like the class. I agree that it has given good insight into the Accounting perspective of Business, but I want the Finance part...Grrr! Sorry, I am just really frustrated right now, I register for classes in like seven minutes and I am freaking out! Add/Drop/Swap is GOD!


Just whatever you do, don't switch to a worthless program like Sociology/Art History.


Sociology and Art History are not worthless, they are very engaging majors and I LOVE that classes. I am going to double major, with a major in Sociology for sure. I take Art History classes for fun because I find it interesting and engaging, I just hope my Finance classes (have not taken any yet) are like this.

User avatar
Emma.
Posts: 2401
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:57 pm

Re: Registering for classes and I want to change my major

Postby Emma. » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:07 pm

Sanaa wrote:
Sociology and Art History are not worthless, they are very engaging majors and I LOVE that classes. I am going to double major, with a major in Sociology for sure. I take Art History classes for fun because I find it interesting and engaging, I just hope my Finance classes (have not taken any yet) are like this.


lol

User avatar
Xs20
Posts: 821
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:03 pm

Re: Registering for classes and I want to change my major

Postby Xs20 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:08 pm

Emma. wrote:Just whatever you do, don't switch to a worthless program like Sociology/Art History.

+1

Having an even cursory understanding of finance will be exponentially more useful to you than sociology or art history both in your personal life and in your career, if you want to go into corporate law.

Sanaa
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:02 pm

Re: Registering for classes and I want to change my major

Postby Sanaa » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:20 pm

Xs20 wrote:
Emma. wrote:Just whatever you do, don't switch to a worthless program like Sociology/Art History.

+1

Having an even cursory understanding of finance will be exponentially more useful to you than sociology or art history both in your personal life and in your career, if you want to go into corporate law.


OMG...I just like the classes, get off of my back will ya? Thanks.

User avatar
Xs20
Posts: 821
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:03 pm

Re: Registering for classes and I want to change my major

Postby Xs20 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:32 pm

I'm not disputing whether you like the classes, I'm just saying they're worthless. And we have been trying to help you, so settle down.

User avatar
sinfiery
Posts: 3308
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:55 am

Re: Registering for classes and I want to change my major

Postby sinfiery » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:49 pm

Emma. wrote:
Sanaa wrote:
Sociology and Art History are not worthless, they are very engaging majors and I LOVE that classes. I am going to double major, with a major in Sociology for sure. I take Art History classes for fun because I find it interesting and engaging, I just hope my Finance classes (have not taken any yet) are like this.


lol

dixiecupdrinking
Posts: 3139
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:39 pm

Re: Registering for classes and I want to change my major

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:50 pm

Are you guys kidding? Switch to art history, switch to gender studies if you want. It will make no goddamn difference. You aren't going to get enough specialized knowledge from any undergraduate degree to make any difference to a law firm. The only exceptions are for hard sciences in IP work. If you want to do corporate law, the only thing you need to do is get into a top school that big firms hire from, so just keep your GPA up and get a good LSAT score and nobody will care what you majored in.

User avatar
Emma.
Posts: 2401
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:57 pm

Re: Registering for classes and I want to change my major

Postby Emma. » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:52 pm

dixiecupdrinking wrote:Are you guys kidding? Switch to art history, switch to gender studies if you want. It will make no goddamn difference. You aren't going to get enough specialized knowledge from any undergraduate degree to make any difference to a law firm. The only exceptions are for hard sciences in IP work. If you want to do corporate law, the only thing you need to do is get into a top school that big firms hire from, so just keep your GPA up and get a good LSAT score and nobody will care what you majored in.


But OP will also end up stuck going to law school. If s/he does something worthwhile at UG that'll create options in case s/he realizes down the track that law is a terrible idea.

dixiecupdrinking
Posts: 3139
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:39 pm

Re: Registering for classes and I want to change my major

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:03 pm

Emma. wrote:
dixiecupdrinking wrote:Are you guys kidding? Switch to art history, switch to gender studies if you want. It will make no goddamn difference. You aren't going to get enough specialized knowledge from any undergraduate degree to make any difference to a law firm. The only exceptions are for hard sciences in IP work. If you want to do corporate law, the only thing you need to do is get into a top school that big firms hire from, so just keep your GPA up and get a good LSAT score and nobody will care what you majored in.


But OP will also end up stuck going to law school. If s/he does something worthwhile at UG that'll create options in case s/he realizes down the track that law is a terrible idea.

Yeah, that is true. Honestly though I don't know what I would tell a college kid to study these days. Are places even hiring a lot of accounting/finance majors?

User avatar
sinfiery
Posts: 3308
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:55 am

Re: Registering for classes and I want to change my major

Postby sinfiery » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:17 pm

dixiecupdrinking wrote:Yeah, that is true. Honestly though I don't know what I would tell a college kid to study these days. Are places even hiring a lot of accounting/finance majors?

Finance, depends on your UG but you could get a job.
Accounting, yes.

KidStuddi
Posts: 465
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:35 pm

Re: Registering for classes and I want to change my major

Postby KidStuddi » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:41 pm

Sanaa wrote:
Xs20 wrote:
Emma. wrote:Just whatever you do, don't switch to a worthless program like Sociology/Art History.

+1

Having an even cursory understanding of finance will be exponentially more useful to you than sociology or art history both in your personal life and in your career, if you want to go into corporate law.


OMG...I just like the classes, get off of my back will ya? Thanks.


Ignore the haters, Sanaa. Major in whatever you enjoy and whatever you believe will allow you to get the highest GPA. Hopefully they overlap. I can't tell you how many people I knew in undergrad who decided they wanted to get a "useful" undergrad degree while planning to goto professional school and then proceeded to thrash their GPAs trying to study cell membranes, or something equally esoteric, knowing full well they will never use the information again. If your major doesn't interest you, undergrad will be four years of unnecessary hell. Switching majors will not harm your application to law school in the slightest.

El Principe
Posts: 551
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:10 am

Re: Registering for classes and I want to change my major

Postby El Principe » Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:40 pm

Welcome to TLS, where people can't fathom that some people actually want to practice law.




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests