Patent bar questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
tbird

Patent bar questions

Postby tbird » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:44 am

This question is for those that have recently taken and passed the patent bar. Did you use a study program? I was thinking of purchasing patbar, it's not terribly unreasonably priced. Has anyone used that and how was it? Will a couple months of a few hours studied per day be sufficient to pass it? I am graduating in chemical engineering and want to knock it out this summer before starting law school. What other tips or suggestions can you make? Is it really that bad or do people just not take it seriously enough?

Also, do you think having that done will increase my chances of getting an internship summer after 1L?

Clearly

Re: Patent bar questions

Postby Clearly » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:52 am

Your asking about bar study programs, before you start law school?

tbird

Postby tbird » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:18 am

No, not bar study programs, patent bar study programs.

shoobie

Postby shoobie » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:39 pm

I used the $30 Bullseye program and passed on the first try. I studied off and on for a few months, and crammed for about two weeks before. It's really not that bad. Also they give you way too much time to answer the questions (I think it's 3 hours for 50 questions). You basically can look up all the answers in that time (or at least double check them). When I took it in November, I would guess I had about 15 AIA questions. I would expect that now the test is considerably more focused on AIA so I would concentrate on that (just look up the new rules online on the USPTO website or google around for articles that firms write about them- I know Fish and Richardson do a lot of that kind of stuff so that might be a good place to start).

To answer your other question, it definitely can't hurt. Most people I've met/ heart of took the patent bar during or after law school, so you will definitely have a leg up. A firm could put you to work doing patent prosecution (if that is what you want to do) even if you can't do legal research/other litigation stuff yet. I am a 0L but have been working as a clerk for about a year while I was doing my Master's and was registered as an agent a couple months ago.

If you search my other posts I've posted about this before. Feel free to PM with any questions!

P.S. I was a CHE also :D

nicepoopoo

Postby nicepoopoo » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:26 pm

I would suggest you to wait for a bit (maybe 1/2 to 1 year) before purchasing any study program or guide.

The reason is that USPTO fully implemented AIA (American Invention Act) last month and they start testing new AIA stuff this month. So if you purchase any material that predates April 10, it will likely only covers 2/3 of the materials being tested. Since you are just going to law school, I assume you are not in an urgency of needing a patent bar license. I took it and passed two weeks before the changes to the exam. There were like an average of 60-100 people passing the exam prior to the changes~ after the change, it is single digit~ so I think old materials are no longer that useful.

Agent

Postby Agent » Mon May 13, 2013 8:46 pm

If you can afford PLI or PRG, I recommend that you give it a shot. Work as hard as you can at it.

tbird wrote:This question is for those that have recently taken and passed the patent bar. Did you use a study program? I was thinking of purchasing patbar, it's not terribly unreasonably priced. Has anyone used that and how was it? Will a couple months of a few hours studied per day be sufficient to pass it? I am graduating in chemical engineering and want to knock it out this summer before starting law school. What other tips or suggestions can you make? Is it really that bad or do people just not take it seriously enough?

Also, do you think having that done will increase my chances of getting an internship summer after 1L?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”