Anyone pass the bar without taking any "bar" courses?

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
BCLS

Anyone pass the bar without taking any "bar" courses?

Postby BCLS » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:09 pm

Kinda freaking out about the fact I didnt take ANY (besides the 1L required) "bar" courses. I will have to learn T&E, Wills, Secured, Corporate, Admin, federal jx, Agency, Commercial Paper this summer. Am I fucked? I really wish I took more of these.... I just don't see how I am going to be able to write essays on these topics in July. Signed up for Barbri... Any thoughts? I know I keep on hearing you don't have to take the bar classes etc., but how true is this?

somewhatwayward

Re: Anyone pass the bar without taking any "bar" courses?

Postby somewhatwayward » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:18 pm

I haven't taken any of the courses you listed except Corporations, and I don't remember much from 1L year (I never memorized anything...always relied on outlines). My plan is to focus on killing the MBE. The MBE has a limited universe of info you have to know. The state essays test what seems to be limitless topics. Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I think in NY there is no minimum you have to get on each of the sections, so if I kill the MBE, I can do bad or okay on the others and still pass. Assuming the state you are taking it in also does not have a minimum you need in each section, I would recommend the same strategy.

That doesn't mean I am not going to focus on the essays at all...I'm just gonna devote a disproportionate amount of time to MBE. I am also good at multiple choice tests, so this strategy makes even more sense. A day of studying netted me a 133 (97th-99th percentile) on the MPRE, and I am aiming for a similar percentile or better MBE percentile. If you go to BC as your name implies, you are probably also pretty good at standardized tests.

Also remember that this is different from a law school exam where you are striving for excellence. It is a fairly low bar. When you take out repeat test-takers, foreign test-takers, takers from low-ranked schools, etc, the pass rate shoots up even higher. Something like 96-98% of my school passes the bar, and I know that not every person is going balls-to-the-wall.

One more thing: I am kind of skeptical about the theory that taking the class in school helps with the bar. OTOH, it does help familiarize you with the concepts, which is probably helpful, but it can also confuse you because law school classes go into way too much depth and often compare jurisdictions to each other, so on the bar you may be struggling to remember which of the several variations you learned is the right one for your jurisdiction. Law school classes go into way too much detail and hide the ball way too much compared to what you need to know for the bar. I personally think taking the MPRE before taking PR is preferable for this exact reason. If you haven't taken PR, you just watch the BarBri video and learn the Model Rules that you need to know, and there is no clutter from other jurisdictions or your PR teacher's policy positions or anything.
Last edited by somewhatwayward on Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BCLS

Postby BCLS » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:22 pm

somewhatwayward wrote:I haven't taken any of the courses you listed except Corporations, and I don't remember much from 1L year (I never memorized anything...always relied on outlines). My plan is to focus on killing the MBE. The MBE has a limited universe of info you have to know. The state essays test what seems to be limitless topics. Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I think in NY there is no minimum you have to get on each of the sections, so if I kill the MBE, I can do bad or okay on the others and still pass. Assuming the state you are taking it in also does not have a minimum you need in each section, I would recommend the same strategy.

That doesn't mean I am not going to focus on the essays at all...I'm just gonna devote a disproportionate amount of time to MBE. I am also good at multiple choice tests, so this strategy makes even more sense. A day of studying netted me a 133 (97th-99th percentile) on the MPRE, and I am aiming for a similar percentile or better MBE percentile. If you go to BC as your name implies, you are probably also pretty good at standardized tests.

Also remember that this is different from a law school exam where you are striving for excellence. It is a fairly low bar. When you take out repeat test-takers, foreign test-takers, takers from low-ranked schools, etc, the pass rate shoots up even higher. Something like 96-98% of my school passes the bar, and I know that not every person is going balls-to-the-wall.

Very reassuring. Thank you for your reply. I had a similar thought process concerning the MBE. I still would like to do well on the MEE though. I'm hoping BarBri will give me just enough to be able to write some good answers. I wish I took some of those courses!

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:10 pm

BCLS wrote:Kinda freaking out about the fact I didnt take ANY (besides the 1L required) "bar" courses. I will have to learn T&E, Wills, Secured, Corporate, Admin, federal jx, Agency, Commercial Paper this summer. Am I fucked? I really wish I took more of these.... I just don't see how I am going to be able to write essays on these topics in July. Signed up for Barbri... Any thoughts? I know I keep on hearing you don't have to take the bar classes etc., but how true is this?

The only one of those courses I took was Admin, and I don't think it was tested in any meaningful way on our bar. I also didn't take Family Law or Crim Pro or Partnerships. (Mind you, T&E and Wills are really the same thing.) I passed. You really don't need to learn an awful lot to pass. Yes, it's easier to learn the topics when you've had courses on them. But you can still do fine when you haven't.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”