How do "ties" work with military children?

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
togepi

How do "ties" work with military children?

Postby togepi » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:31 am

My father was in the military for twenty years and retired my senior year of high school. Before that, I was probably enrolled in a dozen different schools before I started high school.

I was born in Germany and have lived in New York, California, Texas, Missouri, Washington State, and Alabama. I went to a year of middle school, all of high school, and undergrad in Bama.

My family is mostly concentrated in Northern California and Washington State with some relatives in Texas, Virginia, Nevada, and my parents live in Alabama.

When someone has spent their childhood moving every few years, how does this affect ties? I do consider myself "from" Alabama since I've lived there for over ten years. I'm just curious how this is typically viewed by employers and whether this will positively or negatively affect my interviews.

TYIA!

togepi

Re: How do "ties" work with military children?

Postby togepi » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:43 am

bump.

Dixie

Postby Dixie » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:53 am

I was a military child and had the experience of relocation multiple time to include living overseas. I think it is an advantage because I can claim two location (birthplace and where I went to high school).

I would be interested in hearing current students or recent grads opinion on the matter.

GertrudePerkins

Postby GertrudePerkins » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:28 pm

There's no formula for how ties work. And ties aren't some absolute requirement. The fundamental question the employer is asking itself is whether you are likely to want to return (assuming we're talking about SA hiring) to that city to work full time. What level of "ties" that amounts to depends on many factors (what city? how big is the employer? how selective is the employer? etc.) and isn't determinable in the abstract.

Also, who bumps their own thread after eight hours?

mephistopheles

Postby mephistopheles » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:01 pm

where in germany?

but the good thing is that you can spin things a bunch of ways. i've lived in like 6 different states and could talk about any on demand, which is helpful because it gives you an easy in for each place. also, i've been able to use growing up around the military as a plus in interviews, depending on the subject matter of the position.

togepi

Postby togepi » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:50 pm

mephistopheles wrote:where in germany?

but the good thing is that you can spin things a bunch of ways. i've lived in like 6 different states and could talk about any on demand, which is helpful because it gives you an easy in for each place. also, i've been able to use growing up around the military as a plus in interviews, depending on the subject matter of the position.

Heidelberg. I figured that you could spin it in the sense that you're easily adaptable to new environments (which I am) and I can be happy in a lot of places.

Oh and sorry about the eight hour bump. I'm in South Korea right now finishing up my teaching contract and my work hours are normally when people in the states are asleep.

brick_wall

Postby brick_wall » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:01 am

The more places you have ties to the better. I have successfully played up ties to three different cities: the first where I was born and lived until I was six, the second where I lived until HS graduation, and the third where I worked after college and before law school. Use it to your advantage.

togepi

Postby togepi » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:26 am

brick_wall wrote:The more places you have ties to the better. I have successfully played up ties to three different cities: the first where I was born and lived until I was six, the second where I lived until HS graduation, and the third where I worked after college and before law school. Use it to your advantage.

Thanks for the info. So basically ties can be places you've attended for education, places you've worked, and places your family lives?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”