Corporate and litigation.

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
eric922

Corporate and litigation.

Postby eric922 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:12 pm

First of all sorry if this is a stupid question, but I'm slightly confused about something. I've noticed several people on this site talk about how they want to go into corporate law and I always assumed that was a generic term for biglaw that works with corporate clients including litigation forms such as Quinn. But based on what I've read it seems like they are two different areas of law. For instance, I was recently reading one of the advice threads for OCI and the OP mentioned that you should research the firm and not be the kid who tells Quinn he wants to do corporate. So I'm assuming I was mistaken about the definition of corporate law. Is corporate law, as used on this site, more focused on the transactional aspects of doing corporate work?
Last edited by eric922 on Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ph14

Re: Corporate and litigation.

Postby ph14 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:18 pm

eric922 wrote:First of all sorry if this is a stupid question, but I'm slightly confused about something. I've noticed several people on this site talk about how they want to go into corporate law and I always assumed that was a generic term for biglaw that works with corporate clients including litigation forms such as Quinn. But based on what I've read it seems like they are two different areas of law. For instance, I was recently reading one of the advice threads for OCI and the OP mentioned that you should research the firm and not be the kind who tells Quinn he wants to do corporate. So I'm assuming I was mistaken about the definition of corporate law. Is corporate law, as used on this site, more focused on the transactional aspects of doing corporate work?

I'll clarify.

"Corporate Law" is sometimes used as a generic term to refer to biglaw. The idea basically is that biglaw firms that mainly have corporations as their clients. This is the less common usage of the term "corporate."

"Corporate" is a common term for what is known as "transactional" law which is law concerned on transactions and deals (such as mergers and acquisitions)., but is also used more broadly to refer to more business focused law that doesn't involve litigating (or trying cases). This is the more common usage when people say they want to do "corporate law."
"Litigation" is Law & Order type work, you are going to court (or in reality, settling out of court).

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”