Question About 0L Summer Employment

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
tortuga

Question About 0L Summer Employment

Postby tortuga » Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:16 am

So I'll be attending CLS in the fall and I was recently offered a summer internship working at my state's AGO. It's more in the policy realm, but I'd be working with other lawyers. The positives are that it might give me some solid contacts at the state level and it's in an interesting field in which I have little experience. The problems are, 1) it doesn't pay (a stipend isn't even provided), 2) it sounds like a fair amount of stress/work, and 3) it will take up pretty much my whole summer until lawl school starts. I'd also have to commute 1.5 - 2 hours per day. So, my question is - is this worth it? Will it help me land better internships my first and second summers in law school? FWIW I have a strong background in PI and I hope to pursue either PI or gov't work after I graduate. If I didn't do the internship, I'd probably dick around and do a little travelling.

Any advice is really appreciated.

Thanks,

tortuga

Danteshek

Re: Question About 0L Summer Employment

Postby Danteshek » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:56 pm

Dick around. Those lawyers will have forgotten you long before you are looking for a job.

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:59 pm

I dont think that commuting an hour plus a day for an unpaid internship is a great idea. The summer before law school is one of your last chances for a low-stress summer. Enjoy it.

tortuga

Postby tortuga » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:40 am

Thanks for the input from both of you. Glad that your advice is in line with my own thoughts.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”