Age and BigLaw

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
srini2091

Age and BigLaw

Postby srini2091 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:39 pm

Apologies if a similar thread already exists. I am foreign student preparing for LSAT and interested in a career with BigLaw. Would be turning 27-28 by the time I graduate from law school though. Considering the fact that most of my peers would be 22-23, would my age hinder my chances of getting a BigLaw job? Thanks :)

RELIC

Re: Age and BigLaw

Postby RELIC » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:45 pm

srini2091 wrote:Apologies if a similar thread already exists. I am foreign student preparing for LSAT and interested in a career with BigLaw. Would be turning 27-28 by the time I graduate from law school though. Considering the fact that most of my peers would be 22-23, would my age hinder my chances of getting a BigLaw job? Thanks :)

99% of your classmates will be at least 25 when the graduate. Many will be much older. You will not be old at all. American's go through 4 years of undergraduate school before law school so the youngest law student are usually at least 22. So even the people that go straight through are 25 when they graduate.

dietcoke0

Postby dietcoke0 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:13 am

No one is going to ask for your age, and a 25 and a 29 year old don't look much different. If anything, if you look more mature, might help you, because you aren't some idiot kid look for bucks and blow.

lisavj

Postby lisavj » Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:38 pm

I'll be 30 shortly after graduation. I rocked OCI. All they care about is grades and your ability to be a decent person to work with.

**edit: I think it can be an advantage so long as you have a reason why you switched careers/some reason why your experience makes you awesome (ex: I have experience working in teams and I know how to be a team player in a work environment => hiremepls; I went to law school because I was in a job where I didn't have to keep learning and I realized that I need to be challenged to keep learning in my eventual profession => law would let me keep learning all the time => hiremepls).

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”