Is this a good major/preperation for law school?

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
lawschoolnovice1988

Is this a good major/preperation for law school?

Postby lawschoolnovice1988 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:45 am

I will graduate next August with a BA in Paralegal Studies. I realize that the undergraduate can be in any discipline, but I just wanted some insight whether you all thought that a paralegal studies major is a good preperation for law school?

Some of the courses you take in that major are (Legal Research and Writing, Principles and Practice of Litigation, Internship in Paralegal, Applied Legal Research and Litigation, Tort Law, Law of Corporations and other Associations, Intellectual Property Law, Administration Law and Process, Estate and Probate Administration, Legal Ethics and Professional Responsibility, Fundamental Tax Procedures, Legal Environment of Business, Civil Law and Procedures, Constitutional Law, etc)

So given that you take courses stated as above, and do an internship in undergrad, is paralegal studies a good major for law school? Will law schools see this as a good major or too easy of one?

Would appreciate any insight

I left out that this program at my school is ABA approved as well

toothbrush

Re: Is this a good major/preperation for law school?

Postby toothbrush » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:52 am

lawschoolnovice1988 wrote:I will graduate next August with a BA in Paralegal Studies. I realize that the undergraduate can be in any discipline, but I just wanted some insight whether you all thought that a paralegal studies major is a good preperation for law school?

Some of the courses you take in that major are (Legal Research and Writing, Principles and Practice of Litigation, Internship in Paralegal, Applied Legal Research and Litigation, Tort Law, Law of Corporations and other Associations, Intellectual Property Law, Administration Law and Process, Estate and Probate Administration, Legal Ethics and Professional Responsibility, Fundamental Tax Procedures, Legal Environment of Business, Civil Law and Procedures, Constitutional Law, etc)

So given that you take courses stated as above, and do an internship in undergrad, is paralegal studies a good major for law school? Will law schools see this as a good major or too easy of one?

Would appreciate any insight

I left out that this program at my school is ABA approved as well

the major is fine just do well (high gpa) and nail the lsat. good luck

SoberHobo

Postby SoberHobo » Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:33 am

If I could do it over again, I would have studied economics in undergrad (I'm a 3L now). Some of the 1L courses, especially CivPro and Contracts, and maybe Torts depending on your professor, will require at least a basic understanding of economic analysis. And if you want to do courses like Antitrust or Securities Regulation, it would be even more helpful. It always seemed to me like the econ students had an easier time with some of the concepts. A lot of my professors cited Judge Posner a lot, and the Law and Econ school of thought is pretty well established now.

But really, it depends on what you want to study in law school.

Ave

Postby Ave » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:33 am

it sounds like it'll be like criminal justice major

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:48 am

SoberHobo wrote:If I could do it over again, I would have studied economics in undergrad (I'm a 3L now). Some of the 1L courses, especially CivPro and Contracts, and maybe Torts depending on your professor, will require at least a basic understanding of economic analysis. And if you want to do courses like Antitrust or Securities Regulation, it would be even more helpful. It always seemed to me like the econ students had an easier time with some of the concepts. A lot of my professors cited Judge Posner a lot, and the Law and Econ school of thought is pretty well established now.

not disputing most of what you said, but I haven't the faintest clue how economics would assist you in CivPro.

SoberHobo

Postby SoberHobo » Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:07 pm

stillwater wrote:
SoberHobo wrote:If I could do it over again, I would have studied economics in undergrad (I'm a 3L now). Some of the 1L courses, especially CivPro and Contracts, and maybe Torts depending on your professor, will require at least a basic understanding of economic analysis. And if you want to do courses like Antitrust or Securities Regulation, it would be even more helpful. It always seemed to me like the econ students had an easier time with some of the concepts. A lot of my professors cited Judge Posner a lot, and the Law and Econ school of thought is pretty well established now.

not disputing most of what you said, but I haven't the faintest clue how economics would assist you in CivPro.

Guess it depends on the prof. Mine used a book called "The Economics of CivPro" as a supplement. It wasn't the main text, but it was definitely a big part of the course.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:39 pm

SoberHobo wrote:
stillwater wrote:not disputing most of what you said, but I haven't the faintest clue how economics would assist you in CivPro.

Guess it depends on the prof. Mine used a book called "The Economics of CivPro" as a supplement. It wasn't the main text, but it was definitely a big part of the course.

I don't imagine understanding economics could have made my (terrible) Civ Pro class any worse, but it wouldn't have had anything to do with course as my prof taught it, either. That supplement looks interesting, but I suspect it's a minority approach to teaching Civ Pro.

dietcoke0

Postby dietcoke0 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:42 pm

Do something you enjoy for your major, then take some government and econ classes. Paralegal studies isn't going to really help you. If you like art, do art. If you like music, try music. If you like writing, maybe English. If you want to do IP, try a hard science.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”