Is Harvard pretty flexible on extending leave of absence? Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
nescafe.coffee

New

Is Harvard pretty flexible on extending leave of absence?

Post by nescafe.coffee » Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:03 am

I just reviewed Harvard's leave of absence policy at

--LinkRemoved--

It states that "a voluntary leave of absence may be taken for a semester or up to three consecutive semesters" and that those wishing to extend a voluntary leave beyond one year should make their request with the Administrative Board.

I may get a once-in-a-lifetime career opportunity sometime in the summer, and may fully concentrate in that activity for 3~5 years before actually beginning my studies at HLS.

Is it realistically possible to extend my leave of absence for 3~5 years? Would my Harvard transcript show "empty" spaces during that duration? And if that is the case (showing that I marticulated in 2013, but actually began taking classes in 2017), would that hurt in my job search later on?

I would appreciate any response. Thanks guys!

Emma.

Gold

Re: Is Harvard pretty flexible on extending leave of absence?

Post by Emma. » Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:51 am

nescafe.coffee wrote:I just reviewed Harvard's leave of absence policy at

--LinkRemoved--

It states that "a voluntary leave of absence may be taken for a semester or up to three consecutive semesters" and that those wishing to extend a voluntary leave beyond one year should make their request with the Administrative Board.

I may get a once-in-a-lifetime career opportunity sometime in the summer, and may fully concentrate in that activity for 3~5 years before actually beginning my studies at HLS.

Is it realistically possible to extend my leave of absence for 3~5 years? Would my Harvard transcript show "empty" spaces during that duration? And if that is the case (showing that I marticulated in 2013, but actually began taking classes in 2017), would that hurt in my job search later on?

I would appreciate any response. Thanks guys!
That's not a leave of absence, it's a deferral. Pretty unlikely that they'll defer you for 3 years. http://www.law.harvard.edu/prospective/ ... l#deferral

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”