Legal Fellow at a Think Tank

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
SouthernSoul

Legal Fellow at a Think Tank

Postby SouthernSoul » Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:04 pm

Anyone ever worked/interned as legal fellow at a think tank or other research-oriented organization?

If so, how hard are these positions to attain? What are the qualifications? Just curious...

SouthernSoul

Re: Legal Fellow at a Think Tank

Postby SouthernSoul » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:24 am

I guess not, damn...

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:29 am

SouthernSoul wrote:I guess not, damn...

I know a couple of people that interned at CATO/Brookings type places. They had great things to say about it. Also no chance for anything post grad.
If policy is what you want, law is not the best option. Something like an MPA or MPP or similar.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:34 am

You can work at a think tank now, without a JD. And I'd advise you to do so before doing unnecessary work to get a job you could've gotten anyway.

Jchance

Postby Jchance » Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:14 am

bump, what kind of work does legal fellow do?

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:21 pm

I know a few that worked as attorneys for a very conservative Republican oriented "think-tank". They got their positions through Republican activism & Republican connections. They did what they were told to do--which mostly involved instituting legal action in support of conservative causes. In my opinion, they were competent attorneys more well schooled in conservative thought & how to use legal channels to further conservative goals than accomplished academic thinker types.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”