Going into 1L with pregnant wife

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.

Going into 1L with pregnant wife

Postby agni » Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:46 am

Totally unplanned (obviously) but it is what it is. My wife is likely pregnant with our second child. She's had positive tests results, just waiting for the blood test results to be certain. If pregnant, our child will likely be born just before Winter break, first or second week of December.

It was already a challenge as it was since we were looking to move to the states with a toddler (two-year old son) and since my wife is not from the states(barely able to communicate in English; we speak Korean). Now the challenge just became a lot greater, assuming that she can handle a 20 hour flight 3 months into pregnancy. Of course we will have to consult our doctors with that too, since we've had a miscarriage before.

Postponing it seems to be a great idea, with a possible retake (took it twice already) but I'm already 37 and I doubt 1L is going to be any easier with an infant AND a toddler for two whole semesters as opposed to just one.

I am inclined to just proceed and convincing my wife to as well, since it's not our first child and I feel I understand what it's like to juggle a full-time job plus a lot of housekeeping. But I also know that I don't quite fully grasp the demands placed on 1Ls...

So wondering if it's going to be doable. By doable I mean shooting to be in the top third, not result wise but effort wise, as results seem to be difficult to predict. I'm obviously going to need a LOT of support from my wife, and the ultimate decision on this will rest with her, but I want to know if anyone had similar experiences, especially going into 1L with an infant / pregnant wife. Also, in case she is not cleared to fly, has anyone had experience studying alone while wife & child are left behind?

Re: Going into 1L with pregnant wife

Postby gaud » Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:57 am

I have no personal experience with this, but there's a fair amount of successful peeps I go to school with who had newborns/infants/multiple children during 1L.

You can totally manage.

Postby sublime » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:00 am

Postby nickb285 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:38 am

The school I'm going to this fall is in Utah, where lots of people get married and have babies young. A couple of the people on the student panel mentioned having had kids during law school. I imagine it's a ton of stress, but judging by the number of parents it's doable. As for the long distance if she can't fly, that is something you'll have to work out between the two of you. Again, a lot of stress but doable--especially if you can find out exactly when you'll be able to be back, whether you'll be there for the birth, etc. At the very least it sounds like you'll be able to take winter break and spend it with your wife and kids. Make sure you know what you're getting into, but if you do, it's possible. That said, deferring for a year might not be a bad idea. Personally, if I were having a kid, I'd probably take the year off to get settled and everything before starting school, but that's just me--I don't have any kids, so given that this is your second one you probably have a better handle on things.

Whatever you do, good luck. I hope everything works out for you.

PSA for everyone else: Wrap it before you tap it.

Postby gregfootball2001 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:41 am

Generally, especially for a 2nd kid, probably doable - but is the due date during finals week? What would happen if she goes into labor on the day of a final? Hell, even just for studying purposes, that is bad timing. I might take the year off. You'll already be one of the oldest, graduating when you're 41 shouldn't make a difference vs. 40.

Postby guano » Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:50 am

Totally doable to have a baby. Having a due date during exam time, on the other hand, is not a good idea

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”