Changing your first name for the legal profession?

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
justonemoregame

Changing your first name for the legal profession?

Postby justonemoregame » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:48 am

Let's say your name is Ricky. Or Timmy. Are you going with Richard/Tim in law school? Is a large law firm going to take an Alan over a Bobby every day and twice on Sundee?

What about Harley? Woud you go with Charles or just something else altogether?

maggielizer

Re: Changing your first name for the legal profession?

Postby maggielizer » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:12 am

I doubt it matters much. That said I have a very common female name (think Sara, Emily, etc.) that's pretty "professional" sounding. If my name were Destinee I might consider going by my initials or something. But I don't think going by your nickname is going to hurt you at all.

Never realized Harley was short for Charles, though.

BigEasTTT

Postby BigEasTTT » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:15 am

I changed my name....or rather, gave myself a nickname.

After watching freakonomics and reading a book on the subject, I almost felt it was necessary. I feel the merit of your work will be the larger factor for employment; nevertheless, if two applicants with similar resumes (Tyrone v. Bradley) apply for the same position I feel Brad gets the first shot at the job over Ty. FWIW The POTUS went by Barry instead of Barack which gives me the impression that he felt similar regarding the name situation.

BTW I'm a URM and non-URMs boomers love my anglo nickname- makes me seem more like them.

reverendt

Postby reverendt » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:18 am

A firm is going to know you based on the name on your resume. Thus, while most friends and family call me Tony, I showed up at my interviews as "Anthony."

Professionally, people call me whichever they prefer (my one partner calls me Tony and the other calls me Anthony....which is fine with me).

vulpixie

Postby vulpixie » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:55 am

I know a couple who named their kids "Hrothgar" and "Couture." Imagine those on a resume.

nickb285

Postby nickb285 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:00 pm

I would hire a Hrothgar. I assume he would be taking a battle axe to someone anytime we lost a case.

Couture is screwed though.

justonemoregame

Postby justonemoregame » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:57 pm

I read freakonomics, I think that's what has me freaked out. And I'm not even sure I like my name's alternatives.

If you could change your first name for law school, what would you change it to?

KingFish

Postby KingFish » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:08 pm

A stranger once told me that "I'm going places" after he read my full name. I have 3 first names, and they're all pretty white.

Postby 09042014 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:11 pm

justonemoregame wrote:Let's say your name is Ricky. Or Timmy. Are you going with Richard/Tim in law school? Is a large law firm going to take an Alan over a Bobby every day and twice on Sundee?

What about Harley? Woud you go with Charles or just something else altogether?

Nobody is named Ricky and Timmy, those are nick names. Bobby's real name is Robert, and he can go by Rob, Bob or Robert.

Ruxin1

Postby Ruxin1 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:13 pm

justonemoregame wrote:I read freakonomics, I think that's what has me freaked out. And I'm not even sure I like my name's alternatives.

If you could change your first name for law school, what would you change it to?

Freakonomics was mostly proved wrong. HTH.

cooldude87

Postby cooldude87 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:16 pm

changing your name is pathetic, you should be ashamed

ookoshi

Postby ookoshi » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:17 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Nobody is named Ricky and Timmy, those are nick names. Bobby's real name is Robert, and he can go by Rob, Bob or Robert.

Not always. I know some families that have the philosophy, "You should christen them what you're going to call them." So, their legal names are in fact the nickname version of normal names.

Of course, I'm from the south, so ymmv.

Postby 09042014 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:17 pm

cooldude87 wrote:changing your name is pathetic, you should be ashamed

If you name isn't pronounceable in English, you need to pick a new one.

Postby 09042014 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:18 pm

ookoshi wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Nobody is named Ricky and Timmy, those are nick names. Bobby's real name is Robert, and he can go by Rob, Bob or Robert.

Not always. I know some families that have the philosophy, "You should christen them what you're going to call them." So, their legal names are in fact the nickname version of normal names.

Fucking redneck traitors.

eric922

Postby eric922 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:22 pm

ookoshi wrote:

If you give your kid the legal name of Bobby, Timmy, *insert horrible girl's name here, because I'm drawing a blank* you should have said child taken away, because that's just cruel.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:25 pm

vulpixie wrote:I know a couple who named their kids "Hrothgar" and "Couture." Imagine those on a resume.

People who tend to like Beowulf a lot I find also tend not to be super into couture

Ramsey

Postby Ramsey » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:32 pm

Great thread!

I have a long Asian first name and plan to adopt my soon-to-be husband's anglo-sounding last name (think: Nahoko Fitzgerald, Yueliang Wilson, Jung Hee Smith, etc.). I am a bit worried because my future employers can probably figure out from my name that I must be married (I have mild accents, so they can rule out the possibility that I am adopted, which leaves marriage as the only viable explanation) and I heard that there exists subtle discrimination against married women.

I've been advised to adopt an American name after I came to the States (in high school), but never felt the need. I also thought it would be weirder for someone who is clearly not from the States to have a typical American name. Now, however, the job market worries me, freakonomics is convincing, and I'd rather be over-prepared. Any thought?

justonemoregame

Postby justonemoregame » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:34 pm

That there are people who don't believe Bobby/Timmy/Rusty/Randy are actual given legal names is why I want to change mine. I think I'm going with Alastair.

justonemoregame

Postby justonemoregame » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:36 pm

Ruxin1 wrote:
justonemoregame wrote:I read freakonomics, I think that's what has me freaked out. And I'm not even sure I like my name's alternatives.

Freakonomics was mostly proved wrong. HTH.

Mostly doesn't cut it. HTH

nickb285

Postby nickb285 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:45 pm

justonemoregame wrote:That there are people who don't believe Bobby/Timmy/Rusty/Randy are actual given legal names is why I want to change mine. I think I'm going with Cornelius.

FTFY

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:48 pm

My name really can't be pronounced properly by native English speakers, so I bastardized it for their sakes when I first got to this country at 9 years old. I like my name, I like what it means, but even the kinder friendlier version is starting to get on my nerves; there is no pronunciation problem anymore, but I get so freaking annoyed every time I have to meet a new person because everyone acts like it's so hard! My name is phonetic, but I've gone through the trouble of shortening it and pronouncing it like a normal English word and I still have to dread introductions, dread making phone calls, dread having someone who doesn't know me call me. I'm out of law school and working already and honestly the biggest thing I regret at this point in my career is not adopting an English nickname...too late now.

eric922

Postby eric922 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:01 pm

justonemoregame wrote:That there are people who don't believe Bobby/Timmy/Rusty/Randy are actual given legal names is why I want to change mine. I think I'm going with Alastair.

I dare you to change your middle name to Crowley. Actually, that'd be kind of awesome. If I was a partner I'd hire you just so I could say Alistar Crowley works for my law firm.

justonemoregame

Postby justonemoregame » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:13 pm

Maybe I can poll TLS on the most-hirable first name/middle name combo. If I do change my name, I might as well go with something bad-ass for the middle name, since I don't have to post that up on the resume. Artimus. Lysander.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:16 pm

justonemoregame wrote:Maybe I can poll TLS on the most-hirable first name/middle name combo. If I do change my name, I might as well go with something bad-ass for the middle name, since I don't have to post that up on the resume. Artimus. Lysander.

lol Artemis is a Greek goddess

eric922

Postby eric922 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:17 pm

rad lulz wrote:
justonemoregame wrote:Maybe I can poll TLS on the most-hirable first name/middle name combo. If I do change my name, I might as well go with something bad-ass for the middle name, since I don't have to post that up on the resume. Artimus. Lysander.

lol Artemis is a Greek goddess

Goddess of the hunt, moon and witchcraft. I'd say that's pretty badass.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”