Can/Do People Eat During Law Classes & Exams?

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
MarkinKansasCity

Re: Can/Do People Eat During Law Classes & Exams?

Postby MarkinKansasCity » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:27 am

Emma. wrote:There was a guy at school last year who would bring a cooler to every exam and crack a beer when the proctor called "Last 15 minutes."

I applaud that guy. That is an EPIC fucking alpha move.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:31 am

If it's a December exam, I'll get a grande peppermint mocha light. If it's spring, probably just a large ice coffee. The coffee usually means I'll take one or two bathroom breaks during the exam. If it's a morning exam, I'll also get a croissant or bagel. And I always have time to eat and take breaks. I need breaks. Besides, I find that if I get 4 hours for an exam, I can usually say everything I need in 2 hours. The rest of the time is for planning it out, reviewing, and eating/drinking while I reflect on what I wrote.

hasmith

Postby hasmith » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:58 pm

Not one mention of cruising to your favorite bakery for some rolls to eat while your slower classmates finish their exams?

scifiguy

Postby scifiguy » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:17 pm

cinephile wrote:If it's a December exam, I'll get a grande peppermint mocha light. If it's spring, probably just a large ice coffee. The coffee usually means I'll take one or two bathroom breaks during the exam. If it's a morning exam, I'll also get a croissant or bagel. And I always have time to eat and take breaks. I need breaks. Besides, I find that if I get 4 hours for an exam, I can usually say everything I need in 2 hours. The rest of the time is for planning it out, reviewing, and eating/drinking while I reflect on what I wrote.

Is that abnormal? I seem to hear people on TLS say that you can potentially get more points on a LS exam by writing faster/more (assuming quality is upheld and the stuff you write is on point).

Do others finish ls exams an hour or two early??

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:41 pm

scifiguy wrote:
cinephile wrote:If it's a December exam, I'll get a grande peppermint mocha light. If it's spring, probably just a large ice coffee. The coffee usually means I'll take one or two bathroom breaks during the exam. If it's a morning exam, I'll also get a croissant or bagel. And I always have time to eat and take breaks. I need breaks. Besides, I find that if I get 4 hours for an exam, I can usually say everything I need in 2 hours. The rest of the time is for planning it out, reviewing, and eating/drinking while I reflect on what I wrote.

Is that abnormal? I seem to hear people on TLS say that you can potentially get more points on a LS exam by writing faster/more (assuming quality is upheld and the stuff you write is on point).

Do others finish ls exams an hour or two early??

Every exam is different. Plenty of professors have word limits. Plenty of professors tell you that spelling/grammar counts. Plenty tell you that organization matters. So . . . don't just write faster for things like that. Sure there may be a handful where there's more to say than you have time to say, but I've had that experience may twice in two years. But I've always tended to finish early. I finished every section of the LSAT early too. I like taking a break and resting my mind.

sinfiery

Postby sinfiery » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:44 pm

cinephile wrote:Plenty of professors tell you that spelling/grammar counts.

:(

i hope this is a flame

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:50 pm

sinfiery wrote:

i hope this is a flame

I had a professor that was totally serious about this. However, he told us well in advance and it was strictly word limited, so there was not huge pressure to write a ton and then edit it all.

scifiguy

Postby scifiguy » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:54 pm

ImNoScar wrote:
sinfiery wrote:

i hope this is a flame

I had a professor that was totally serious about this. However, he told us well in advance and it was strictly word limited, so there was not huge pressure to write a ton and then edit it all.

Yeah, that sucsk to me for an in-class exam.

Analysis should trump style there imo. A take-home paper/exam ...for sure....style/grammar, etc. should matter a lot more. No excuses there.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:29 am

ImNoScar wrote:
sinfiery wrote:

i hope this is a flame

About half of my exams were like that at BU. And yes, much like ImNoScar, they told us in advance so you could plan how you would write accordingly. I guess the write-as-much-as-possible thing is maybe more heavily emphasized with some professors, but most of mine did the word-limit thing and said they'd rather be reading something readable rather than ramblings and an information dump.
Last edited by cinephile on Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

dudders

Postby dudders » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:42 am

I don't think I've really eaten during an exam. All of my school's in-class exams are typical 3-hr type-a-thons. I've taken at least 1-2 potty breaks during each one because I drink tons of coffee and water whether or not it's test day.

My school has no restriction on food/snacks. I know people bring snacks. But too be honest, I'm too busy doing my thing to notice what everyone else is doing. If you want food, just don't bring something loud or smelly. And chew with your mouth closed. End of story.

franklyscarlet

Postby franklyscarlet » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:46 am

I ate a few fruit leather during each exam because I have blood sugar issues. I know a few people had chocolate/ coffee and stuff, but nothing too extensive.

Also, If you need to go pee, go pee. 3 lost minutes is not the end of the world. I actually took a bathroom break in my contracts exam specifically to leave the room for a few minutes because I was starting to panic. it helped.

Grazzhoppa

Postby Grazzhoppa » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:50 am

Idk but my friend's dad used to smoke during class and exams. I think I'm gonna try that one day and see how it goes. HTH.

shock259

Postby shock259 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:27 pm

Emma. wrote:There was a guy at school last year who would bring a cooler to every exam and crack a beer when the proctor called "Last 15 minutes."

lol amazing

Postby 09042014 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:01 pm

I think doing anything attention whorish during an exam is fucking amateur hour and douchy.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:06 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:But mostly you're just typing like crazy and too busy to do much more than grab a sip of water while you form your next thought.

lolno they don't

ironbmike

Postby ironbmike » Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:08 pm

scifiguy wrote:Oh, I was asking about the eating part, because of blood sugar reasons.

I know that as your blood sugar dips you'll feel tired and your mental capacities may diminish. But also, if you eat too much, then your blood flows from your brain into your stomache and you get tired and can't think that way as well.

So otpimally you'd want to have a light snack every now and then to maintain that alertness. That's what I do in class in UG right now.

Oh my fucking god man

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”