% of Students Getting Jobs Via Hook-ups?

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
User avatar
Lincoln
Posts: 1030
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:27 pm

Re: % of Students Getting Jobs Via Hook-ups?

Postby Lincoln » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:02 pm

patrickd139 wrote:
bizzybone1313 wrote:
mephistopheles wrote:
bizzybone1313 wrote:Throughout my dating experiences, I have noticed that prettier girls generally have less class, are more flaky and not as considerate as their less attractive peers. Attractive girls are always seeking the next, biggest and best thing to do for a night. As a guy, when I have a told a girl that I will pick her up at 8:00 on a Friday night, I have always kept my word.


wtf happened here?


I sidetracked OP's thread a little bit, for which I apologize. I think what I said is generally true though. The absolute prettiest girls (8's and above) are usually very difficult to get along with.

Please DESCRIBE how these pretty girls are (categorically) more difficult to get along with.


No, please don't. This conversation is already stupid and sexist.

Edited for accuracy.

User avatar
bizzybone1313
Posts: 996
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:31 pm

Re: % of Students Getting Jobs Via Hook-ups?

Postby bizzybone1313 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:23 pm

I sidetracked OP's thread a little bit, for which I apologize. I think what I said is generally true though. The absolute prettiest girls (8's and above) are usually very difficult to get along with.


Please DESCRIBE how these pretty girls are (categorically) more difficult to get along with.


No, please don't. This conversation is already stupid and sexist.

Edited for accuracy.


I was going to respond to his post, but since you asked so nicely I won't. I don't think what I said was sexist. I wouldn't personally give a better looking girl a bump simply for being lucky enough to be born with good looks.

There are all types of reasons why a certain percentage of people are more likely to get jobs. I think that is what OP is trying to figure out. What % of jobs are already off the table before the games have even begun?

For guys, one is being fairly tall. There are all types of studies that show taller men are more likely to become executives at corporations than their shorter counterparts. I am pretty tall myself. Yes!!!!

sf_39
Posts: 69
Joined: Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:33 pm

Re: % of Students Getting Jobs Via Hook-ups?

Postby sf_39 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:58 pm

From schools who I've seen publish data where they ask employed students how they got hired, I've seen that number--being a combo of networking, knowing someone, a referral etc. be around 40-50% of those hired.

User avatar
jtabustos
Posts: 108
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:53 pm

Re: % of Students Getting Jobs Via Hook-ups?

Postby jtabustos » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:18 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
jtabustos wrote:
IAFG wrote:I know more people who tried to leverage connections and faceplanted than people who succeeded.


Why was that? Not strong enough a connectoin? Bad job market in general? Curious to know.


I don't want to out someone I know, but the gist of his experience was even with connections you need to be in the ballpark already. Bad grades at a T1 is a hard sell to the partnership committee even if your dad is a client.

Also +1 to what IAFG said. "I know a guy," MIGHT get you a screener interview.


Wow. So you guys are interviewed by biglaw partners then for that first-year assoc. job? I had thought for some reason it was a hiring staff, but not actual partners.

That sounds a bit intimidating.

User avatar
jtabustos
Posts: 108
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:53 pm

Re: % of Students Getting Jobs Via Hook-ups?

Postby jtabustos » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:24 pm

IAFG wrote:Things I have seen not work:

Daddy is a client
Daddy is a partner at the firm
Daddy is major player on hiring committee of firm but limited by a nepotism rule
Daddy is a partner at peer firm trying to work connections for kid
Personal (social) relationship with partners
Personal (social) relationship with a client's GC
Work experience for client

Things I have heard of working:

One of the above PLUS grades PLUS school the firm would otherwise consider hiring from
One of the above PLUS prestigious school but without grades


I have to say that I'm pleasantly surprised by this. Even partners don't have that much sway in hiring (w/o the other criteria). That's actually something I'd be proud to know, because it means biglaw places merit first. ...I mean for teh most part. I get that there's some favoritism going on, but it makes sense that the person has to be at least ballpark.

Of course, I wonder just how many of these cases there are!

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: % of Students Getting Jobs Via Hook-ups?

Postby 09042014 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:27 pm

jtabustos wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
jtabustos wrote:
IAFG wrote:I know more people who tried to leverage connections and faceplanted than people who succeeded.


Why was that? Not strong enough a connectoin? Bad job market in general? Curious to know.


I don't want to out someone I know, but the gist of his experience was even with connections you need to be in the ballpark already. Bad grades at a T1 is a hard sell to the partnership committee even if your dad is a client.

Also +1 to what IAFG said. "I know a guy," MIGHT get you a screener interview.


Wow. So you guys are interviewed by biglaw partners then for that first-year assoc. job? I had thought for some reason it was a hiring staff, but not actual partners.

That sounds a bit intimidating.


The common system is:

First interview: One or two partners/senior associates in one 20-30 min interview

Callback interview: 4-6 30 minute interviews with a mix of partners and associates. One or two associates may take you to lunch.

Each firm is different, but a typical firm has a committee that decides who to give offers to. Typically it's made up of a couple partners. You don't talk to them directly (but they may have been one of your prior interviewers).

The HR lady has different amounts of power at different firms.

User avatar
jtabustos
Posts: 108
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:53 pm

Re: % of Students Getting Jobs Via Hook-ups?

Postby jtabustos » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:34 pm

sf_39 wrote:From schools who I've seen publish data where they ask employed students how they got hired, I've seen that number--being a combo of networking, knowing someone, a referral etc. be around 40-50% of those hired.


Any specific school examples? Sounds interesting, but also extremely high!

User avatar
IAFG
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: % of Students Getting Jobs Via Hook-ups?

Postby IAFG » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:41 pm

jtabustos wrote:
sf_39 wrote:From schools who I've seen publish data where they ask employed students how they got hired, I've seen that number--being a combo of networking, knowing someone, a referral etc. be around 40-50% of those hired.


Any specific school examples? Sounds interesting, but also extremely high!

Not if "etc" includes applying directly.

User avatar
Lincoln
Posts: 1030
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:27 pm

Re: % of Students Getting Jobs Via Hook-ups?

Postby Lincoln » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:18 am

sf_39 wrote:From schools who I've seen publish data where they ask employed students how they got hired, I've seen that number--being a combo of networking, knowing someone, a referral etc. be around 40-50% of those hired.


As discussed previously in this thread by knowledgable posters, this isn't true in BigLaw, so the only scenario I can think of in which this may be true is for a TTT in a secondary (or smaller) market.

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: % of Students Getting Jobs Via Hook-ups?

Postby rad lulz » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:25 am

Lincoln wrote:
sf_39 wrote:From schools who I've seen publish data where they ask employed students how they got hired, I've seen that number--being a combo of networking, knowing someone, a referral etc. be around 40-50% of those hired.


As discussed previously in this thread by knowledgable posters, this isn't true in BigLaw, so the only scenario I can think of in which this may be true is for a TTT in a secondary (or smaller) market.

This kind of thing DEFINITELY happens at the 100-150 man "biglaw" shops that populate secondary markets

User avatar
slawww
Posts: 657
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:44 pm

Re: % of Students Getting Jobs Via Hook-ups?

Postby slawww » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:41 am

rad lulz wrote:
Lincoln wrote:
sf_39 wrote:From schools who I've seen publish data where they ask employed students how they got hired, I've seen that number--being a combo of networking, knowing someone, a referral etc. be around 40-50% of those hired.


As discussed previously in this thread by knowledgable posters, this isn't true in BigLaw, so the only scenario I can think of in which this may be true is for a TTT in a secondary (or smaller) market.

This kind of thing DEFINITELY happens at the 100-150 man "biglaw" shops that populate secondary markets


Do you think grades become less important in that situation? I know an associate at a biglaw firm similar to the kind you mention, and I'm wondering how good of a connection s/he is. Plan on keeping in touch with her/him throughout 1L, but curious if you have any experience with this kind of networking in biglaw.

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: % of Students Getting Jobs Via Hook-ups?

Postby rad lulz » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:43 am

slawww wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
Lincoln wrote:
sf_39 wrote:From schools who I've seen publish data where they ask employed students how they got hired, I've seen that number--being a combo of networking, knowing someone, a referral etc. be around 40-50% of those hired.


As discussed previously in this thread by knowledgable posters, this isn't true in BigLaw, so the only scenario I can think of in which this may be true is for a TTT in a secondary (or smaller) market.

This kind of thing DEFINITELY happens at the 100-150 man "biglaw" shops that populate secondary markets


Do you think grades become less important in that situation? I know an associate at a biglaw firm similar to the kind you mention, and I'm wondering how good of a connection s/he is. Plan on keeping in touch with her/him throughout 1L, but curious if you have any experience with this kind of networking in biglaw.

Grades are still pretty damn important, but see that little thing I posted about "moving to the front of the pile" earlier ITT. These places tend to be REALLY concerned about fit (as well as grades) so when someone vouches for you and the firm is predisposed to like you it can make a big difference.

User avatar
slawww
Posts: 657
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:44 pm

Re: % of Students Getting Jobs Via Hook-ups?

Postby slawww » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:49 am

rad lulz wrote:Grades are still pretty damn important, but see that little thing I posted about "moving to the front of the pile" earlier ITT. These places tend to be REALLY concerned about fit (as well as grades) so when someone vouches for you and the firm is predisposed to like you it can make a big difference.


True, true. Definitely makes sense.

User avatar
mattviphky
Posts: 1117
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:43 pm

Re: % of Students Getting Jobs Via Hook-ups?

Postby mattviphky » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:55 am

Knowing someone will definitely get you interviewed, but they have to justify the hire, so you need grades and whatever else to back it up.

adonai
Posts: 1033
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:09 pm

Re: % of Students Getting Jobs Via Hook-ups?

Postby adonai » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:14 am

mattviphky wrote:Knowing someone will definitely get you interviewed, but they have to justify the hire, so you need grades and whatever else to back it up.

This. I think this is largely true in general outside of law as well. Before law school, got an interview as an analyst at a small bank through the CEO (was a good friend of my dad's). I didn't have any relevant WE or any finance/economics major/minor. Was called by the interviewer and was literally LAUGHED at. Yes, she laughed at me because I had nothing relevant on my resume. Got the "we'll get back to you" and never heard back. Sometimes, like in my case, the interview is just a formality so the high ranking connection you have doesn't offend/disappoint the person who got you the interview by saying no. In the end, the connections just won't help you if you don't have the credentials in the first place.

jwinaz
Posts: 179
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:03 pm

Re: % of Students Getting Jobs Via Hook-ups?

Postby jwinaz » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:26 am

Would anyone happen to know how important connections are post-1year associate jobs? In terms of trying to lateral or go into midlaw, etc., once you're off of partner track in biglaw, do connections work any differently? Or do firms still ask for your grades then?

utlaw2007
Posts: 783
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:49 pm

Re: % of Students Getting Jobs Via Hook-ups?

Postby utlaw2007 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:00 pm

polkij333 wrote:Came here for stories about anonymous airport bathroom sex. Leaving EXCEPTIONALLY disappointed



Post of the year.




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests