Are There Any UG Classes That Simulate/Approximate LS Exams?

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
scifiguy

Are There Any UG Classes That Simulate/Approximate LS Exams?

Postby scifiguy » Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:58 am

Given how important ls exams are, are there any undergrad classes that would give a person a feel for what it's like to take a law school exam?

Is there any way to practice or get a hang of them before law school?

TYVM!

scifiguy

Re: Are There Any UG Classes That Simulate/Approximate LS Exams?

Postby scifiguy » Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:59 pm

Can I bump this thread? I'm surprised more people aren't interested in this question!

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:59 pm

Nope.

EvilClinton

Postby EvilClinton » Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:59 pm

scifiguy wrote:Given how important ls exams are, are there any undergrad classes that would give a person a feel for what it's like to take a law school exam?

TYVM!

No.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:05 pm

No.

And the first time you see one, your reaction will be

Scotusnerd

Postby Scotusnerd » Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:49 am

Nope. And if they claim to, stay away. The professor is probably externalizing his intense desire to teach at a law school, but is stuck teaching undergrads. Believe me, you don't want to be on the receiving end of his definition of RIGOR.

I've got several classmates who took classes with this type of professor. They all agree it was nothing like the actual class.

Lacepiece23

Postby Lacepiece23 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:05 pm

Scotusnerd wrote:Nope. And if they claim to, stay away. The professor is probably externalizing his intense desire to teach at a law school, but is stuck teaching undergrads. Believe me, you don't want to be on the receiving end of his definition of RIGOR.

I've got several classmates who took classes with this type of professor. They all agree it was nothing like the actual class.

I had a conlaw class in undergrad taught by the head of the department. Ran the class like a law school class with a hard curve of one A and the rest falling somewhere between that and a C. Great class test had a hypo and was pretty much like my conlaw exam last semester. Felt like it was beneficial to get that experience. At my school I know some of the law professors teach undergrad classes and they use the fact patter issue spotting exams, which seem to be helpful to those students.

laxbrah420

Postby laxbrah420 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:31 pm

the two exams i took in health econ weren't too far off from a policy intensive law school exam. i bet if i'd irac'd my answers i'd have done better in that class. but that's just the way my professor was --i have no idea how you'd pick classes that make you write your exams in bluebooks, and moreover, I have no idea why you'd want to.

LaBarrister

Postby LaBarrister » Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:59 pm

scifiguy wrote:Given how important ls exams are, are there any undergrad classes that would give a person a feel for what it's like to take a law school exam?

TYVM!

Why are you waiting so long? Did you not look for similar contrivance in high school?

You're so far behind that you might as well give up already. Most of your peers are way ahead of you.

Lacepiece23

Postby Lacepiece23 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:01 pm

LaBarrister wrote:

TYVM!

Why are you waiting so long? Did you not look for similar contrivance in high school?

You're so far behind that you might as well give up already. Most of your peers are way ahead of you.

0L who makes a shit ton of dumb ass threads trolling another 0L. Your cool man.

LaBarrister

Postby LaBarrister » Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:17 pm

Lacepiece23 wrote:
LaBarrister wrote:

TYVM!

The point of that post is to send a serious message in a way that I have the patience for. The truth is, the OP should enjoy undergrad and tackle law school when he/she gets there. People are always looking for shortcuts and leg-ups.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:21 pm

Is there an undergrad class you can take where one three-hour final is your entire grade and is graded on a curve against a group of people extremely similar to you in intelligence and work ethic who prepare for the exam knowing it might mean the difference between lifelong debt peonage and a reasonable upper-middle-class lifestyle?

LaBarrister

Postby LaBarrister » Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:22 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:Is there an undergrad class you can take where one three-hour final is your entire grade and is graded on a curve against a group of people extremely similar to you in intelligence and work ethic who prepare for the exam knowing it might mean the difference between lifelong debt peonage and a reasonable upper-middle-class lifestyle?

+1

Lol... law school.

And laypersons wonder why successful lawyers are animals, and why the rest are miserable.

Lacepiece23

Postby Lacepiece23 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:43 pm

LaBarrister wrote:
Lacepiece23 wrote:
LaBarrister wrote:

TYVM!

The point of that post is to send a serious message in a way that I have the patience for. The truth is, the OP should enjoy undergrad and tackle law school when he/she gets there. People are always looking for shortcuts and leg-ups.

Because you know so much about how law school works? I took law related classes in undergrad and felt that it helped. Maybe OP would feel the same way too. Maybe OP won't. Everyones different.

LaBarrister

Postby LaBarrister » Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:53 pm

Lacepiece23 wrote:
LaBarrister wrote:The point of that post is to send a serious message in a way that I have the patience for. The truth is, the OP should enjoy undergrad and tackle law school when he/she gets there. People are always looking for shortcuts and leg-ups.

Because you know so much about how law school works? I took law related classes in undergrad and felt that it helped. Maybe OP would feel the same way too. Maybe OP won't. Everyones different.

You're right: everyone's different. So get your hypocritical self off my ass and worry about your own opinions.

Lacepiece23

Postby Lacepiece23 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:05 pm

Well maybe if your opinions came from a law student or a graduate, which at the moment you are neither I wouldn't have had such a problem with you being a dick to OP for no reason.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:09 pm

Organic Chemistry. You'll learn a bunch of rules then have to apply them to novel problems, and it will be graded on a harsh curve.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”