How Long Do Judges Take To Make A [Clerkship] Decision?

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
El_Sol

How Long Do Judges Take To Make A [Clerkship] Decision?

Postby El_Sol » Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:35 am

Hey all,

So I had an interview for a clerkship position about two weeks ago, and have not heard back.

(1) Typically, how long do judges take to make a decision?

(2) Typically, how many applicants do judges interview for one spot?

Thanks!

A. Nony Mouse

Re: How Long Do Judges Take To Make A [Clerkship] Decision?

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:09 am

Try checking out the clerkship forum for more info. But the short answer is: it totally varies as to both. I'd be surprised if a judge interviewed more than, say, 10 people for a given slot, but it could be a lot less, you just really can't tell unless someone here happens to know the specific judge and his/her practices.

quiver

Postby quiver » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:29 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:Try checking out the clerkship forum for more info. But the short answer is: it totally varies as to both. I'd be surprised if a judge interviewed more than, say, 10 people for a given slot, but it could be a lot less, you just really can't tell unless someone here happens to know the specific judge and his/her practices.
Co-signed. Both of OP's questions vary widely depending on the judge, the judge's schedule, etc.

ph14

Postby ph14 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:33 pm

quiver wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:Try checking out the clerkship forum for more info. But the short answer is: it totally varies as to both. I'd be surprised if a judge interviewed more than, say, 10 people for a given slot, but it could be a lot less, you just really can't tell unless someone here happens to know the specific judge and his/her practices.
Co-signed. Both of OP's questions vary widely depending on the judge, the judge's schedule, etc.

Although if you haven't heard good news after 2 weeks you are probably not getting the clerkship.

nonprofit-prophet

Postby nonprofit-prophet » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:38 pm

A similar question: If you haven't gotten an interview after 3 weeks, is it safe to assume you won't get one? I submitted to a few judges they day they started taking apps, so I'm hoping they're just waiting for more apps to come in before they start interviewing.

quiver

Postby quiver » Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:10 pm

ph14 wrote:
quiver wrote:

Although if you haven't heard good news after 2 weeks you are probably not getting the clerkship.
That's not necessarily true. I've interviewed with judges who were interviewing people over the span of a month and wouldn't let anyone know until they saw everyone. Other judges just get caught up in a busy schedule (eg: a trial). 2 weeks could mean nothing or it could mean a rejection.

nonprofit-prophet wrote:A similar question: If you haven't gotten an interview after 3 weeks, is it safe to assume you won't get one? I submitted to a few judges they day they started taking apps, so I'm hoping they're just waiting for more apps to come in before they start interviewing.
As you pointed out, it's very common for judges to get a critical mass of apps before deciding who to interview. I especially wouldn't read into a waiting period when you submitted on the first day. This again varies from judge to judge though.

ph14

Postby ph14 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:18 pm

quiver wrote:
ph14 wrote:
quiver wrote:

That's not necessarily true. I've interviewed with judges who were interviewing people over the span of a month and wouldn't let anyone know until they saw everyone. Other judges just get caught up in a busy schedule (eg: a trial). 2 weeks could mean nothing or it could mean a rejection.

nonprofit-prophet wrote:A similar question: If you haven't gotten an interview after 3 weeks, is it safe to assume you won't get one? I submitted to a few judges they day they started taking apps, so I'm hoping they're just waiting for more apps to come in before they start interviewing.
As you pointed out, it's very common for judges to get a critical mass of apps before deciding who to interview. I especially wouldn't read into a waiting period when you submitted on the first day. This again varies from judge to judge though.

It's not necessarily true, but in my experience and from talking to people, it seems that good news tends to come sooner rather than later if it is coming.

quiver

Postby quiver » Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:09 pm

ph14 wrote:It's not necessarily true, but in my experience and from talking to people, it seems that good news tends to come sooner rather than later if it is coming.
That's fair. I could see that being the case in terms of the aggregate. I just wanted to point out that it's not necessarily a death knell in any one situation.

El_Sol

Postby El_Sol » Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:22 pm

The judge did say he was going to interview all applicants before making a decision.

El_Sol

Postby El_Sol » Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:45 pm

Is hiring on the spot the norm, or the exception?

quiver

Postby quiver » Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:52 pm

El_Sol wrote:Is hiring on the spot the norm, or the exception?
It was the norm when there was an on-plan interviewing day. On-the-spot-offers seem to be much more rare with off-plan hiring. That said, like everything with clerkships, it varies from judge to judge.

El_Sol

Postby El_Sol » Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:54 pm

Thank you, quiver.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”