Am I doing it right?

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
bamfrosty

Am I doing it right?

Postby bamfrosty » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:26 pm

EDIT: Deleted. Too much information in OP.
Last edited by bamfrosty on Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ave

Re: Am I doing it right?

Postby Ave » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:46 pm

bamfrosty wrote:Also, I've been thinking about switching to a literature major. I know both political science and lit are largely useless for the real world, but I'm trying to maximize my GPA and I don't think I could pull off a 4.0 in a STEM major.

Is this a credited plan? Is there credence to the boost ascribed to English majors here: http://www.mylsn.info/quant_boost.php ?

Political Science is not a STEM major so I'm not exactly sure why you mentioned that. Also, if you are switching your major (and then justifying it with your love for literature) because Political Science majors have a -1 in that unreliable data, then you're not doing it right.

If not, major in whatever. And when did literature classes have "lots of heavy reading"?

bamfrosty wrote:I also feel that lots of heavy reading could help me with RC and getting used to dense, boring law school cases.

bamfrosty

Postby bamfrosty » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:56 pm

Ave wrote:
bamfrosty wrote:Also, I've been thinking about switching to a literature major. I know both political science and lit are largely useless for the real world, but I'm trying to maximize my GPA and I don't think I could pull off a 4.0 in a STEM major.

Is this a credited plan? Is there credence to the boost ascribed to English majors here: http://www.mylsn.info/quant_boost.php ?

Political Science is not a STEM major so I'm not exactly sure why you mentioned that. Also, if you are switching your major (and then justifying it with your love for literature) because Political Science majors have a -1 in that unreliable data, then you're not doing it right.

If not, major in whatever. And when did literature classes have "lots of heavy reading"?

bamfrosty wrote:I also feel that lots of heavy reading could help me with RC and getting used to dense, boring law school cases.

I mentioned STEM majors in anticipation of people recommending that I switch to one. I know that political science is not a STEM field. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

I know that "heavy reading" is subjective, but I don't think I would be wrong in saying that English literature majors do more reading than most other majors.

I'm not switching majors because of the myLSN data, but it was interesting to see the +5 for lit majors. I know it's probably white noise, but I'd like to know what confounding factors are behind such a big boost.
Last edited by bamfrosty on Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ave

Postby Ave » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:23 pm

bamfrosty wrote:I know that "heavy reading" is subjective, but I don't think I would be wrong in saying that English literature majors do more reading than most other majors.

If you actually wanted "heavy reading" (rather than quantity), major in philosophy or if you actually enjoyed political science, focus on political philosophy.

ETA: Can't you look at your school's catalog and see which canons your literature classes use? I am sure you've read most of them in high school.

Lacepiece23

Postby Lacepiece23 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:29 am

Skimmed you post my advice keep that 4.0 up, study your balls off for the lsat, take whatever classes you want as long as you keep said 4.0, go to HYS or something else full ride.... profit.

Teflon_Don

Postby Teflon_Don » Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:37 am

Honestly none of the other stuff in your post matters, maintain a 3.9+ and score 165+, enjoy HYS

LaBarrister

Postby LaBarrister » Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:43 am

bamfrosty wrote:Hi there. Long time lurker, first time poster here. I'm a Mexican-American male freshman at a state university in the Dallas area on track to graduate in three years with a political science BA. After one semester, I have a LSDAS GPA of ~4.07, but it will likely fall to an even 4.0 after this semester. I plan to begin studying for the LSAT this fall and taking the test in June going directly into law school if I can land HYS. However, if I don't get in to one of those schools (and possibly even if I do get into one of them), I'll take time off from school to join the Peace Corps (my aunt's long-term boyfriend is a RPCV/recruiting officer in the DC-area and has encouraged me to apply), teach English abroad, or just be a gutterpunk death metal couch-surfer.

Career-wise, I would like to go into government work, criminal law, public interest law, politics, academia, or possibly Texas biglaw. As far as ties go, I was born in and spent the first ten years of my life in Illinois, and that's where most of my extended family lives. However, I've lived in North Texas since then and have grown fond of the area. Am I correct in assuming that these are sufficient ties for the Chicago and Texas markets? I also lived in Massachusetts for a year when I was a small child, but I don't think it's anything that would convince an employer that I'm not a flight risk.

Also, I've been thinking about switching to a literature major. I know both political science and lit are largely useless for the real world, but I'm trying to maximize my GPA and I don't think I could pull off a 4.0 in a STEM major. I enrolled as a polisci major because my parents and teachers told me it was the standard "pre-law" major, but I know now that UG major doesn't really matter. English was always my strongest subject in high school and the degree plan would allow me to take more music classes, which in addition to being largely free As, are classes that would I enjoy on a personal level. I also feel that lots of heavy reading could help me with RC and getting used to dense, boring law school cases. The only thing stopping me from switching is that my school's polisci department is significantly larger and has some really great faculty when compared with the English department. My current civil liberties professor is a former law school prof and has really gotten me excited about a legal career, and I don't think I would be able to take many of his classes if I were to switch majors.

As far as softs go, I don't really have much going for me. I'm a quarter Mexican and I've played in orchestras for the better part of my life, but I haven't been very involved in extracurricular activities otherwise. My mom pulls in just under $60k a year as a social worker and my dad has been paraplegic for a solid twenty-five years, so I think there may be some material for a personal statement and I think I would qualify for some need-based aid at HYS. I'm on full-ride for my bachelor's, so I don't think UG debt will be a problem.

Is this a credited plan? Is there credence to the boost ascribed to English majors here: http://www.mylsn.info/quant_boost.php ? Should I just get an accounting degree and forget about law school? All advice is welcome.

PS: Sorry if this is the wrong forum. I'll move the topic if so. Or something.

PPS: I hope I don't come off as some aspie gunner. I'm just trying to approach this from the right angle since I dicked around a lot in high school.

I'm an English Literature major. It's probably the most fascinating aspect of my undergraduate career. I have a ton of softs and also a double-major in an STEM field, but none of that means more to me than me Lit studies. But that's me. Find something you're passionate about and major in it. If that doesn't pay the bills, double major. That's what I did. It has worked out really well so far. I wouldn't trade my two majors for the world.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”