Is success in law school only about genius or luck?

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
User avatar
quiver
Posts: 864
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:46 pm

Re: Is success in law school only about genius or luck?

Postby quiver » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:16 pm

Scotusnerd wrote:
quiver wrote:IThat's wise advice? I have no idea how that's helpful except to say that law school is a means to an end and that there is no point in speculating about grades (which everyone has said from the start of this thread). Lots of people don't care if they make "good money."


Because it's very easy to get caught up in prestige and the delusion that doing well in law school will equal success in law practice. You may not need that advice at your particular point in time, but a 0L needs to understand the hierarchy of their objectives when they're making decisions about what to do in law school. It seems simple, but you'd be surprised how many people miss this. It is legitimate, wise advice based on experience.
See the exchange between myself and utlaw2007 on page 2.

User avatar
scifiguy
Posts: 575
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:41 pm

Re: Is success in law school only about genius or luck?

Postby scifiguy » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:15 am

What % of law students do you guys know of/estimate could do much higher, but didn't as a result of not knowing how to take a law school exam?

I've read from previous posts that some people didn't seem to realize they needed to write as much (and there's a bit of a "race/speed" element to it).

Do you guys find any students like that in law school. Very bright and capable, but just didn't learn how to strategize taking one of these exams?

User avatar
Scotusnerd
Posts: 813
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:36 pm

Re: Is success in law school only about genius or luck?

Postby Scotusnerd » Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:20 am

scifiguy wrote:What % of law students do you guys know of/estimate could do much higher, but didn't as a result of not knowing how to take a law school exam?

I've read from previous posts that some people didn't seem to realize they needed to write as much (and there's a bit of a "race/speed" element to it).

Do you guys find any students like that in law school. Very bright and capable, but just didn't learn how to strategize taking one of these exams?



That's most of the middle of the pack in law school. We're all bright and capable (believe me, it is a big mistake to assume that everyone else is not as smart as you). That strategizing is a key differences between a good grade and a bad one.

User avatar
mephistopheles
Posts: 1947
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:43 am

Re: Is success in law school only about genius or luck?

Postby mephistopheles » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:19 pm

Scotusnerd wrote:
scifiguy wrote:What % of law students do you guys know of/estimate could do much higher, but didn't as a result of not knowing how to take a law school exam?

I've read from previous posts that some people didn't seem to realize they needed to write as much (and there's a bit of a "race/speed" element to it).

Do you guys find any students like that in law school. Very bright and capable, but just didn't learn how to strategize taking one of these exams?



That's most of the middle of the pack in law school. We're all bright and capable (believe me, it is a big mistake to assume that everyone else is not as smart as you). That strategizing is a key differences between a good grade and a bad one.



most people are morons. nth

User avatar
Scotusnerd
Posts: 813
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:36 pm

Re: Is success in law school only about genius or luck?

Postby Scotusnerd » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:43 pm

mephistopheles wrote:most people are morons. nth


yeah. Most people are also not in law school. If you haven't found this out already, you will find it out. Or, I suppose, you'll be one of the lucky two or three people in the school who really IS more brilliant than everyone else.

Naclam
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:48 pm

Re: Is success in law school only about genius or luck?

Postby Naclam » Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:22 am

-
Last edited by Naclam on Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
mephistopheles
Posts: 1947
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:43 am

Re: Is success in law school only about genius or luck?

Postby mephistopheles » Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:34 pm

Scotusnerd wrote:
mephistopheles wrote:most people are morons. nth


yeah. Most people are also not in law school. If you haven't found this out already, you will find it out. Or, I suppose, you'll be one of the lucky two or three people in the school who really IS more brilliant than everyone else.



i've been in ls, and i stand by my statement. and by most, i literally mean 80% of the class.

User avatar
Scotusnerd
Posts: 813
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:36 pm

Re: Is success in law school only about genius or luck?

Postby Scotusnerd » Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:34 pm

mephistopheles wrote:i've been in ls, and i stand by my statement. and by most, i literally mean 80% of the class.


Okay? So have I. Also, I'm going to guess that I have better relations with my classmates than you do, by your statements. :?

User avatar
ExBiglawAssociate
Posts: 2092
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:06 pm

Re: Is success in law school only about genius or luck?

Postby ExBiglawAssociate » Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:47 pm

I think success in law school is a attributable to three things 1) hard work, 2) knowing how to game "the system" (i.e., reading "Getting to Maybe", talking to law profs, talking to other law students about how to get good grades in class X or Y), and 3) being a good writer. You need intelligence to know how to properly balance these three things, but I don't think people with the best grades from law school are necessarily the smartest. The material is very easy to master compared to more difficult undergraduate majors like applied physics or math. There's just a lot of it. Anyone can memorize shit given enough time, it's how to apply it in time-pressured writing exams that matters.

imjustjoking22
Posts: 461
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:46 am

Re: Is success in law school only about genius or luck?

Postby imjustjoking22 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:55 pm

Hard work may help, but it's not necessary. IMO much better to learn how to "study smart" as exams approach and keep plenty of time for yourself to be a normal person. I hate the library, so I don't study there. Briefing cases is probably a waste of your time. Fearing cold calls is silly, no one cares if you sound smart in class and knowing the cases super well is not very helpful on exams anyway.

Probably helpful to study 9-6 or whatever daily if you want to be top of your class. But there are certainly people who do minimal work and are above median.

User avatar
slawww
Posts: 657
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:44 pm

Re: Is success in law school only about genius or luck?

Postby slawww » Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:45 pm

I know this has been beaten to death, but at what point does slow typing (in your opinion) become detrimental? I can type about 50 words per minute, and I'm wondering if that would put me at a disadvantage?

User avatar
ph14
Posts: 3225
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:15 pm

Re: Is success in law school only about genius or luck?

Postby ph14 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:43 pm

slawww wrote:I know this has been beaten to death, but at what point does slow typing (in your opinion) become detrimental? I can type about 50 words per minute, and I'm wondering if that would put me at a disadvantage?


That's perfectly adequate. You have to think on an exam too.

User avatar
slawww
Posts: 657
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:44 pm

Re: Is success in law school only about genius or luck?

Postby slawww » Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:56 pm

ph14 wrote:
slawww wrote:I know this has been beaten to death, but at what point does slow typing (in your opinion) become detrimental? I can type about 50 words per minute, and I'm wondering if that would put me at a disadvantage?


That's perfectly adequate. You have to think on an exam too.


Haha, true!




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests