Should the 1L Student Live In or Out of School?

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
jingyuan

Should the 1L Student Live In or Out of School?

Postby jingyuan » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:38 pm

Well, it is really an old-fashioned question, but I am still curious about it. Considering all the costs, people, and other elements, which choice is better?

Bronck

Re: Should the 1L Student Live In or Out of School?

Postby Bronck » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:50 am

You could save a significant amount of money by living in the school. I imagine you could use your school's gym to shower, store all your personal belongings in your locker at the law school itself, and sleep in the library or perhaps a classroom. You wouldn't have to pay for rent or utilities, and you'd have blazing fast internet at all times.

To be fair, this would make cooking nearly impossible. But, because of your saved costs on rent, you could eat out cheaply and still end up saving a significant amount of money.

md22

Postby md22 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:30 pm

Bronck wrote:You could save a significant amount of money by living in the school. I imagine you could use your school's gym to shower, store all your personal belongings in your locker at the law school itself, and sleep in the library or perhaps a classroom. You wouldn't have to pay for rent or utilities, and you'd have blazing fast internet at all times.

To be fair, this would make cooking nearly impossible. But, because of your saved costs on rent, you could eat out cheaply and still end up saving a significant amount of money.

/thread

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:36 pm

Bronck wrote:you'd have blazing fast internet at all times.

Man, if this is the norm, my school must be TTT.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:41 pm

There was a guy at Brooklyn law who practiced being homeless and he did just what Bronck described. He'd stay in the library until midnight, when they kicked him out. He'd sleep on a bench for 6 hours. At 6, he'd head to the gym to work out and shower, shave, and get dressed (he had a large locker with clothes at the gym, with the rest of his possessions in his school locker), and then would head back to school. Sounds legit to me.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:52 pm

OP, it's going to depend very much on the school and location. I don't think almost anyone at my school lived in the dorms, in part because there was a lot of other housing available and it's usually cheaper, especially if you get roommates. But some of the 1Ls at schools I visited when I was applying had lived in the dorms. I think most only did so their first year, then moved out and got roommates. In the dorms you're sort of at the mercy of the administration, in terms of who you live with, which puts some people off. I think most people who do are people who've never lived on their own, especially if they were moving to a new city and didn't have much chance to go look for other places to live. In any case, it's really up to the individual and depends on your own personal situation and the options available to you.

(I realize this answer is way less entertaining than Bronck's...)

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:14 pm

cinephile wrote:There was a guy at Brooklyn law who practiced being homeless and he did just what Bronck described. He'd stay in the library until midnight, when they kicked him out. He'd sleep on a bench for 6 hours. At 6, he'd head to the gym to work out and shower, shave, and get dressed (he had a large locker with clothes at the gym, with the rest of his possessions in his school locker), and then would head back to school. Sounds legit to me.

:lol: :mrgreen:

sublime

Postby sublime » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:22 pm

Tier2Allstar

Postby Tier2Allstar » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:25 pm

sublime wrote:
My best friend lived in dorms all three years of law school. However, he didn't have much of a choice in Newark with no car.

Penn Station? Newark sucks.

sublime

Postby sublime » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:28 pm

Borg

Postby Borg » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:44 pm

I agree that 1Ls should definitely live in the school. It will make you more serious and you will never be late to class or forget your books. I don't know why the poster above was so concerned about showers etc. If you just change your clothes, you can wash the old ones in the sink and never really worry about that. You will also make more friends. At my school, about half of the 1L class chose to live in the school and everyone selected for law review came from that group.

BerkeleyBear

Postby BerkeleyBear » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:52 pm

cinephile wrote:There was a guy at Brooklyn law who practiced being homeless and he did just what Bronck described. He'd stay in the library until midnight, when they kicked him out. He'd sleep on a bench for 6 hours. At 6, he'd head to the gym to work out and shower, shave, and get dressed (he had a large locker with clothes at the gym, with the rest of his possessions in his school locker), and then would head back to school. Sounds legit to me.

Well this made my day.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:59 pm

I was wrong, it was a Cardozo student: http://gawker.com/5871730/homeless-by-c ... melessness

Postby 09042014 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:25 pm

bk1 wrote:

It can be pretty damn fast, but it's shitty as fuck. Takes like 2 minutes to connect to. But then I can download at good speeds.

jingyuan

Postby jingyuan » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:25 pm

Bronck wrote:You could save a significant amount of money by living in the school. I imagine you could use your school's gym to shower, store all your personal belongings in your locker at the law school itself, and sleep in the library or perhaps a classroom. You wouldn't have to pay for rent or utilities, and you'd have blazing fast internet at all times.

Hi, that sounds nice! BTW, what's your school, your dorm is so cool!

jingyuan

Postby jingyuan » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:27 pm

bk1 wrote:

The internet is too slow?...

jingyuan

Postby jingyuan » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:29 pm

Hi, I'd like to say, this guy is really, impressive!~ :D

jingyuan

Postby jingyuan » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:36 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:OP, it's going to depend very much on the school and location. I don't think almost anyone at my school lived in the dorms, in part because there was a lot of other housing available and it's usually cheaper, especially if you get roommates. But some of the 1Ls at schools I visited when I was applying had lived in the dorms. I think most only did so their first year, then moved out and got roommates. In the dorms you're sort of at the mercy of the administration, in terms of who you live with, which puts some people off. I think most people who do are people who've never lived on their own, especially if they were moving to a new city and didn't have much chance to go look for other places to live. In any case, it's really up to the individual and depends on your own personal situation and the options available to you.

So, it's better if I could have a visit to school and nearby to know the accommendations in advance to make my choice, right? Actually, I've lived on my own long time ago, but, always in school's dorm...

jingyuan

Postby jingyuan » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:38 pm

sublime wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:OP, it's going to depend very much on the school and location. I don't think almost anyone at my school lived in the dorms, in part because there was a lot of other housing available and it's usually cheaper, especially if you get roommates. But some of the 1Ls at schools I visited when I was applying had lived in the dorms. I think most only did so their first year, then moved out and got roommates. In the dorms you're sort of at the mercy of the administration, in terms of who you live with, which puts some people off. I think most people who do are people who've never lived on their own, especially if they were moving to a new city and didn't have much chance to go look for other places to live. In any case, it's really up to the individual and depends on your own personal situation and the options available to you.

My best friend lived in dorms all three years of law school. However, he didn't have much of a choice in Newark with no car.

Wow... So, it should depend on the surroundings of school. Thanks!

jingyuan

Postby jingyuan » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:46 pm

sublime wrote:
Tier2Allstar wrote:
sublime wrote:

Penn Station? Newark sucks.

Newark does indeed suck. I visited him there as a 2L and he seemed fine with it, he was living with a 3L and a computer programming grad student. Then this year they graduated and he was randomly assigned with two 21 year old, just left their moms house masters students and hates it.

He didn't want to fuck with the commute daily and living nearby obviously was not an option. I do think it was the right decision for him because he may or may not have gone to class as much not living on campus, as he had a issue with that in UG.

Seems that the traffic is an important element when consideration.

jingyuan

Postby jingyuan » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:47 pm

Borg wrote:I agree that 1Ls should definitely live in the school. It will make you more serious and you will never be late to class or forget your books. I don't know why the poster above was so concerned about showers etc. If you just change your clothes, you can wash the old ones in the sink and never really worry about that. You will also make more friends. At my school, about half of the 1L class chose to live in the school and everyone selected for law review came from that group.

That sounds great! Helpful to study, and it is my concern. Thanks!

dextermorgan

Postby dextermorgan » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:25 pm

Am I the only one's whose school actually has showers in the law school building itself? I know I can't be since at least one other school has this. The school encourages you to live in it OP.

jcg

Postby jcg » Sun May 12, 2013 2:38 am

This. :D

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Sun May 12, 2013 3:00 am

jcg wrote:

This. :D

Necro'd for this? lol

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”