New Life Goals

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Lovely Ludwig Van

Re: New Life Goals

Postby Lovely Ludwig Van » Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:18 pm

sflyr2016

Postby sflyr2016 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:24 pm

TurtlesAllTheWayDown wrote:
joeant wrote:
TurtlesAllTheWayDown wrote:Can we all at least agree that the people who "dream about prospering off of hard work, and hope to do something meaningful that can improve the life [sic] of others" aren't becoming lawyers?

Also, if anyone is tired of only pleasuring oneself, hit me up. I'm tired of pleasuring myself, too, so I'm taking applications. The job is only mostly sexual.

No. Public defense for indigent client attorneys', civil right's attorneys, almost the entirety of congress, current and past presidents, current and past judges, labor-union representatives, professors, elected officials, defense attorney's, small claims attorneys', malpractice attorneys, etc. all clearly benefit the lives of others.

And thank you for lending your credence to my point, self-pleasuring wears off.

I would wager that those noble magistrates of which you laundry listed don't really dream about prospering through hard work in the bucolic way you seem to suggest. Nary a lawyer dabs the sweat off his sun tanned brow after a hard day's work. Your pastoral sentiments don't really jibe with lawyering, unless you have some idealistic notions no more far-fetched than the OP's that you reject so loquaciously.

I would also bet all the granola I could get my greedy little hands on that a higher percentage of people who take the OP's hippy-Nietzche path (I probably would have said Thoreau) are happy in some real sense than that of the esquires.

Self-pleasuring doesn't wear off and neither does carpal tunnel.

Ahh, see I always thought that the term "hard work" was subjective. I now see that unless one perspires, then one has not worked hard. Alas, an objective standard to measure the quality of ones efforts! I will make sure to crank the heater at the office to ensure that everyone works hard.

And as for your real sense of happiness, please continue to enlighten us with objective ways to measure that too! The amount one smiles per day perhaps?

I type using voice recognition from my phone.

TurtlesAllTheWayDown

Postby TurtlesAllTheWayDown » Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:44 pm

joeant wrote:
Ahh, see I always thought that the term "hard work" was subjective. I now see that unless one perspires, then one has not worked hard. Alas, an objective standard to measure the quality of ones efforts! I will make sure to crank the heater at the office to make sure everyone works hard.

And as for your real sense of happiness, please continue to enlighten us with objective ways to measure that too! The amount one smiles per day perhaps?

Maybe this will clear it up: the people who dream of prospering off of hard work aren't dreaming about the hard work that comes with an 80 hour a week desk job. People may dream of becoming lawyers and they may dream of doing so to help people, but their notions of lawyering are misguided. No one dreams of the hard work lawyers do, they begrudgingly accept it, at best. Thus, your pastoral notions are misplaced. I satirized (or, "satyrised" as your voice recognition would note it) that view, perhaps a bit too harshly. But it was funny, and you deserved it.

As far as objective measures of happiness, I don't really know of any, but I don't think I claimed to. I bet just about any rubric we chose would agree with my assessment, though. Maybe we could just start with, "are you happy?"

sflyr2016

Postby sflyr2016 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:06 pm

TurtlesAllTheWayDown wrote:
joeant wrote:
Ahh, see I always thought that the term "hard work" was subjective. I now see that unless one perspires, then one has not worked hard. Alas, an objective standard to measure the quality of ones efforts! I will make sure to crank the heater at the office to make sure everyone works hard.

Maybe this will clear it up: the people who dream of prospering off of hard work aren't dreaming about the hard work that comes with an 80 hour a week desk job. People may dream of becoming lawyers and they may dream of doing so to help people, but their notions of lawyering are misguided. No one dreams of the hard work lawyers do, they begrudgingly accept it, at best. Thus, your pastoral notions are misplaced. I satirized (or, "satyrised" as your voice recognition would note it) that view, perhaps a bit too harshly. But it was funny, and you deserved it.

As far as objective measures of happiness, I don't really know of any, but I don't think I claimed to. I bet just about any rubric we chose would agree with my assessment, though. Maybe we could just start with, "are you happy?"

Sometimes I smile more than other times..

When did I offer someone dreaming of working hard in-and-of-itself? No, I merely claimed that some of us dream of prospering from that hard work. Also, I realize that you didn't make such a claim, but a sliver of sattire was equally warranted.

Lol. Your responses are irritatingly reminiscent to mine. I take that back, they are humorously reminiscent and as such irritate me just the same.

Oh, and I can think of millions of arbitrary rubrics that would disagree entirely with your assessment. Such as: happiness is justice, which is contingent on the amount of legal agency one has within a society and how much they contribute to what is just. Or, happiness is measured by the amount of legal courses one takes. Or defer to utilitarianism and measure it by the amount one increases social utility, or whatevs. All which go against your masturbation principle.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”