New Life Goals

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
jitsrenzo

Re: New Life Goals

Postby jitsrenzo » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:29 pm

I really applaud your goals and your aspirations. That's great. The more I live, the more I realize life is basically about keeping your life as uncluttered with obligations as possible (e.g. money obligations, social expectations, etc). I'd only do something if I thought it was worth the loss in my personal freedom of action. So I'll get a dog because it's worth it to me, but not get a BMW or shit like that because having that extra little bit of status/prestige from a car is not worth having to work basically half a year of biglaw to get it.

I don't like the overall attitude though. People find their own way, and live their own lives the best they can. Obviously you think yours is the best, and that's all you need. Doesn't matter what other people do

BullShitWithBravado

Postby BullShitWithBravado » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:31 pm

If you're not ready to go to law school (or pursue a career in general) just now, then you should definitely take time off to explore your interests. I took two years off after undergrad, did a cross-country road trip, moved to the West Coast on a whim and worked odd jobs, traveled, lived life, and, most importantly, got to know myself.

I think it's important to remember that if you go to law school and get a good paying job, you won't have to work at a firm forever. You can just work long enough to pay off your loans (if you have any) and save enough money so that you can eventually retire and literally do whatever want. To be honest, if you refuse to pursue a stable career, you will most likely end up broke and will essentially be trading a temporary pair of handcuffs (working as a lawyer) for a permanent pair (being broke without career prospects).

ironbmike

Postby ironbmike » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:54 pm

If that's what makes you happy OP, but don't brag about it. And don't expect a dime from the rest of us who work hard for a living.

RaleighStClair

Postby RaleighStClair » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:35 pm

WanderingPondering wrote:
RaleighStClair wrote:Really don't like OP's self-assured attitude. "Chances are, you'll be missing out" ... How dare you?

I think this guy pretty much said it all:

WanderingPondering wrote:Do whatever will make you happy, but remember that happy people tens to be happy in whatever situation they are in. And unhappy people, likewise.

Good luck

Something tells me you're one of the unhappy people.

Are you saying you think I'm one of the unhappy people from that post? Or the op is?

Oh, sorry. Definitely talking about the OP. I agree with what you said completely.

md22

Postby md22 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:26 pm

I find it rather hard to believe that you can "travel the world" with only 45 dollars to your name. But whatever you wanna do, do it man. It's your life to live.

For me, working is key to living. I can buy the things I want, put gas in my motorcycle, go out with friends and family, and travel. The reality of my world is that you have to earn your keep in order to enjoy living. If what you say about yourself is true - that you only have 45 bucks to your name and your parents are middle class - we come from pretty similar backgrounds. There is no way in hell that I would be where I'm at these days without working my ass off some of the time. But, in the end: YOLO YMCMB

LaBarrister

Postby LaBarrister » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:18 am

I feel like there is a good chance that I will find enough stability within myself after only a year or two of travel to pursue my dream of becoming a lawyer. At some point, I'll have to settle down and support a family to share all of my experiences with.

But if I don't end up loving my job like I think I will, I'll just go jump off a bridge and do myself a favor. It wouldn't even be messy.

alwayssunnyinfl

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:26 am

LaBarrister wrote:I feel like there is a good chance that I will find enough stability within myself after only a year or two of travel to pursue my dream of becoming a lawyer. At some point, I'll have to settle down and support a family to share all of my experiences with.

But if I don't end up loving my job like I think I will, I'll just go jump off a bridge and do myself a favor. It wouldn't even be messy.

Make sure it's a pretty bridge.

WhiteyCakes

Postby WhiteyCakes » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:33 am

md22 wrote:I find it rather hard to believe that you can "travel the world" with only 45 dollars to your name. But whatever you wanna do, do it man. It's your life to live.

For me, working is key to living. I can buy the things I want, put gas in my motorcycle, go out with friends and family, and travel. The reality of my world is that you have to earn your keep in order to enjoy living. If what you say about yourself is true - that you only have 45 bucks to your name and your parents are middle class - we come from pretty similar backgrounds. There is no way in hell that I would be where I'm at these days without working my ass off some of the time. But, in the end: YOLO YMCMB

Don't feed the troll

LaBarrister

Postby LaBarrister » Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:18 am

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
LaBarrister wrote:I feel like there is a good chance that I will find enough stability within myself after only a year or two of travel to pursue my dream of becoming a lawyer. At some point, I'll have to settle down and support a family to share all of my experiences with.

In that case, I may have to travel just to kill myself. That's a win/win.

Ave

Postby Ave » Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:21 am

LaBarrister wrote:
alwayssunnyinfl wrote:

Top 10 Most Beautiful Bridges in the World

LaBarrister

Postby LaBarrister » Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:28 am

Ave wrote:
LaBarrister wrote:
alwayssunnyinfl wrote:

Top 10 Most Beautiful Bridges in the World

Even cats can't have it all. I'll have to quit being picky and just choose one.

alwayssunnyinfl

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:39 am

LaBarrister wrote:

Even cats can't have it all. I'll have to quit being picky and just choose one.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

walkingpanda

Postby walkingpanda » Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:15 am

Get yourself together dude.It can never get that serious.

walkingpanda

Postby walkingpanda » Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:22 am

md22 wrote:I find it rather hard to believe that you can "travel the world" with only 45 dollars to your name. But whatever you wanna do, do it man. It's your life to live.

+1.... To live is to work. Some of just desire and dream more than others.

"But I been the champion
Happy as I ever been
Lampin' in the Hamptons like
What the fuck is a hammock?
The chef up in the kitchen like
What the fuck is a sammich?
I'm like we need to find middle ground
We need balance
Challenge me, that'd be to my advantage"

YMCMB.

Flash

Postby Flash » Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:49 am

I suggest finding a successful spouse to finance your Epicurean life OP.

LaBarrister

Postby LaBarrister » Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:14 am

Flash wrote:I suggest finding a successful spouse to finance your Epicurean life OP.

Do you even know what that means?

alwayssunnyinfl

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:44 am

LaBarrister wrote:
Flash wrote:I suggest finding a successful spouse to finance your Epicurean life OP.

Do you even know what that means?

Spouse? Probably not.

BaiAilian2013

Postby BaiAilian2013 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:54 am

People don't live to work, they work to eat, moron. Good luck starving to death or, better yet, working the SAME hours at minimum wage.

iShotFirst

Postby iShotFirst » Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:57 am

Great example of why people should take time off between high school/undergrad or undergrad/law school to get this attitude out of their system.

walkingpanda

Postby walkingpanda » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:07 pm

BaiAilian2013 wrote:People don't live to work, they work to eat.

And they eat to live.

alwayssunnyinfl

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:14 pm

walkingpanda wrote:

And they eat to live.

I eat to fill the void in my life left by my lack of adventure.

LaBarrister

Postby LaBarrister » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:19 pm

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
walkingpanda wrote:

And they eat to live.

Hence the cookies.

walkingpanda

Postby walkingpanda » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:22 pm

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
walkingpanda wrote:

And they eat to live.

Have you never heard of 3D television? It's like you're there, toadally.

paratactical

Postby paratactical » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:35 pm

I actually think OP is right and that if you want to do those kinds of things, you should take time right after college to do them. Even if you just take six months of travel and hiking and volunteering or whatever before your loan repayment kicks in, it is really awesome to take a little time after you graduate. I did and it was one of the greatest experiences I had.

And OP, you should look into working in some of the weirder national parks in the US. Remote places like Death Valley and Big Bend almost always need people to work for the concessions in the park. It's a shitty bartending, waiting, or hotel job, but you work schedules that will let you explore the park and you'll be one of the few people actually living there. Look into it - it might be kind of what you want and it will let you not be totally destitute while you do it. Also, once you have experience with a vendor like Xterra, there is some mobility within the company to move around to different parks.

LaBarrister

Postby LaBarrister » Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:12 pm

paratactical wrote:I actually think OP is right and that if you want to do those kinds of things, you should take time right after college to do them. Even if you just take six months of travel and hiking and volunteering or whatever before your loan repayment kicks in, it is really awesome to take a little time after you graduate. I did and it was one of the greatest experiences I had.

And OP, you should look into working in some of the weirder national parks in the US. Remote places like Death Valley and Big Bend almost always need people to work for the concessions in the park. It's a shitty bartending, waiting, or hotel job, but you work schedules that will let you explore the park and you'll be one of the few people actually living there. Look into it - it might be kind of what you want and it will let you not be totally destitute while you do it. Also, once you have experience with a vendor like Xterra, there is some mobility within the company to move around to different parks.

That's really cool. Thanks for getting the gist of this post. It wasn't all that difficult and/or serious. I was just speaking the truth. I think what I posted is a simple universal truth that would speak to every person's soul if he/she let it. It's a natural part of life. That's all.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”