New Life Goals Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
sinfiery

Gold

Re: New Life Goals

Post by sinfiery » Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:28 pm

Lol at this thread.

Do it OP. You probably won't be able to summit any mountains that are legit tall because that requires absurd amounts of cash but all you need is a tent, a blanket, a good pair of boots, a cellphone and a car. Ain't nothing stopping you. Be free bro.

LaBarrister

Bronze

Post by LaBarrister » Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:53 pm

sinfiery wrote:Lol at this thread.

Do it OP. You probably won't be able to summit any mountains that are legit tall because that requires absurd amounts of cash but all you need is a tent, a blanket, a good pair of boots, a cellphone and a car. Ain't nothing stopping you. Be free bro.
Could I theoretically become a 40-year-old patent examiner who fills his quotas on the trail?

sinfiery

Gold

Post by sinfiery » Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:03 pm

No idea but in 5 years you can be a law student whilst out in the backcountry of this great nation. If you can't wait, you can be a computer scientist today.

Eta: to really live, you gotta go off the trail

mephistopheles

Gold

Post by mephistopheles » Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:09 pm

sopranorleone wrote:
LaBarrister wrote: I'm going to start pleasing myself.
Regular masturbation IS the key to true happiness

came here to say this

espressocream

Bronze

Post by espressocream » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:47 am

WanderingPondering wrote:Good on ya mate. I've just spent nearly a year traveling/working/volunteering and will be heading home next month. Best experience of my life. Maybe in a year, or two, or five you'll decide you want to go to law school - but maybe not. Do whatever will make you happy, but remember that happy people tend to be happy in whatever situation they are in. And unhappy people, likewise.

Good luck
This.

My "time off" was during my semester where I studied abroad. I interned with my host country's govt and although I had traveled before - working was a completely different experience. It's what really ended up pushing me to commit to PI/govt work. Do what you need to do to feel ready and committed.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

howlery

Bronze

Post by howlery » Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:16 am

Some interesting things brought up in this thread. How difficult is it to become a park ranger or something just below that right out of undergrad?

sflyr2016

Bronze

Post by sflyr2016 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:17 am

Thank lord you are deciding against becoming an attorney. With this sort-of self-serving stance on life, I would hate for someone to ever have to trust you as their lawyer. Go pursue your 21st century hippie-infused-Nietzschistic "New Life Goals". But when your done channeling your inner Eat Pray Love, and realize that you're broke, unhappy, and have to go back to your hard-working middle income parents for perspective and money.. Think back on this new-found epiphany and how you chose a life of pleasuring oneself, rather than making a sacrifice in-order to partake in something more significant -- like say becoming a working, professional, member of society.

Legal services are a necessity much the same way medicine is. It protects citizens and their rights, and ensures balance among society. Even biglaw greedy ass egotistical lawyers who care about nothing but money, provide a needed service to corporations that in turn pay taxes and create jobs, like the ones your parents probably work at now. Too bad they didn't take your approach on life huh? No, they actually both worked middle-income jobs to give their kid a chance at having an opportunity to become a professional and provide not only for himself, but for his family and those around him. But, no, you're opting to hike mountains and indulge in every pleasure-seeking thrill ride you can afford in order to stimulate your way to some naive platonic form of happiness. Might as well masturbate your way through life.. But after you come off of your high -- however long that takes -- and you realize that you've accomplished nothing and made no significant impact in anyone else's life other than your own, then I would love to hear about your perspective on "life goals" and "happiness".

Look bud, no one is telling you to go to law school. But please get the F off these boards with this hippie BS and high-horse rant about those with career objectives. Some of us dream about prospering off of hard work, and hope to do something meaningful that can improve the life of others. Not just ourselves. Listen, Indiana Jones, when you're done with your adventure, go back and apologize to your parents for your taking advantage of their hard work in laboring for you to have an opportunity that you wasted and have nothing to show for. But if you do indeed go this rout, perhaps, for the sake of irony, I wonder (I will not say I hope because I don't hope ill will on anyone) if somewhere along your adventure you have a son and then decide to go to work for some big corporation (because no-one else would hire you) to put food on his plate and bust your ass to give him an opportunity to study and someday become a professional, but, at the cusp of him becoming something.. He decides to go "hiking" off into the wilderness to "find himself".
Last edited by sflyr2016 on Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:32 am, edited 2 times in total.

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:24 am

rebexness

Gold

Post by rebexness » Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:31 am

howlery wrote:Some interesting things brought up in this thread. How difficult is it to become a park ranger or something just below that right out of undergrad?
Actual park rangers takes about the same quals as PD, just less training and psych eval.

However, being on some sort of trail crew usually just requires a modicum of fitness and a pair of boots.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

LaBarrister

Bronze

Post by LaBarrister » Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:00 am

joeant wrote:Some of us dream about prospering off of hard work...
Then would it not be ironic if I ever made more money than you?

Hehe

sflyr2016

Bronze

Post by sflyr2016 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:44 am

LaBarrister wrote:
joeant wrote:Some of us dream about prospering off of hard work...
Then would it not be ironic if I ever made more money than you?

Hehe
You are lost bud. Continue on to the next sentence, you know about hard work and contributing to society. Dude, I wish you well. I hope you find a pot of gold on your hiking trip. But don't expect happiness when making your life objective a self-pleasing joy ride. It is not about money, but clearly you miss the larger point.

Go and find yourself. Get lost doing so. I just hope that person you find is a happy one. Not sure how he could be when he looks around and realizes he has not made any real impact on anyone else's life other than his own.

I think you should take some time off. Nothing wrong with it. But make it about something larger than yourself. Go teach impoverished kids in a different country or even our own. Find perspective there. Hike on the weekends and travel all you want. You may not want to jump into a corporate rat race of some sort, but find something you enjoy and where you think you can make any kind of difference.

sinfiery

Gold

Post by sinfiery » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:24 am

It's almost impossible to do something and not make a difference.

We can venture into.actually grading these sources as you took it upon yourself to do in such a black and white manner with your obvious bias but in lieu of the fact that almost anything that you do, when told to society at large, effects them in some tangible way, your black and white test of x caused a change and thus is good shtick is either bias or contradictory to your attempted conclusion you wished to prove.

And if you start grading through each person's personal biases the extent to which X outcome is notable outside of any alterior motive such as feeding your own kids, big law will probably fall way below most actions.

sflyr2016

Bronze

Post by sflyr2016 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:48 pm

sinfiery wrote:It's almost impossible to do something and not make a difference.

We can venture into.actually grading these sources as you took it upon yourself to do in such a black and white manner with your obvious bias but in lieu of the fact that almost anything that you do, when told to society at large, effects them in some tangible way, your black and white test of x caused a change and thus is good shtick is either bias or contradictory to your attempted conclusion you wished to prove.

And if you start grading through each person's personal biases the extent to which X outcome is notable outside of any alterior motive such as feeding your own kids, big law will probably fall way below most actions.
Yes, but now we venture into a philosophical discussion. Not one suited for a law-school-discussion forum. Especially not one meant to speak to the question of why to, or not to, become a lawyer. I, at least responded to his post in a more concrete and more relevant (to this topic) way. Not some vague and misplaced critique of society at large, or as such.

If you want to discuss the bias within every question or belief, namely that it begs an-already assumed answer, and how this question-begging inquiry leads to bad or contradicting conclusions.. Then I suggest for you to go to a philosophical thread, not a law school one.

Besides, the simple notions you described ever-so vaguely and purposely abstract, did not come off as smart. It came off as pretentious and misplaced. Next time, say something like, "your response is biased, and as a result it begs assumed principles, which one may disagree with, such as the extent to which one's actions benefit society or are seen as more-or-less valuable. Furthermore, by virtue of participating within a society, one always tangibly affects it, and one's ULTERIOR MOTIVES (is what I assume you meant) always rely on relative standards that are probably a poor scale to use for measuring what is a good or bad outcome..."

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

sinfiery

Gold

Post by sinfiery » Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:11 pm

Yes. Precisely. As the purpose of your initial posts was most likely self preservation to an extent, you can bet so was mine much more so than trying to sound smart.

sflyr2016

Bronze

Post by sflyr2016 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:28 pm

sinfiery wrote:Yes. Precisely. As the purpose of your initial posts was most likely self preservation to an extent, you can bet so was mine much more so than trying to sound smart.
Sure, and I do enjoy this sort of conversation. But for the purposes of this topic.. the OP, relative to the way he brought up this discussion, should re-think what he may gain from his "new life goals" and what he may end up giving up. Ultimately, only he can decide for himself. However, why speak against the legal profession and the pursuit of our goals. I have not entered a hitch-hiking forum (to the extend hitch-hikers own the technology needed to create one) to speak against their pursuit or goals. I offer a sarcastic critique of what the OP suggests, or rather suggests against, and I appeal to the significance of this profession (relatively), and even more perhaps, to the significance of his parents efforts which he has offered into the discussion.

I did it as a way to have him re-re-think his stance. Not to be logically correct.

Anyway, Sinfiery, you are clearly intelligent and I thank you introducing me to my new favorite word, "shtick". Lol. I am going to force that word into every conversation I have today.

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:29 pm

joeant wrote: Anyway, Sinfiery, you are clearly intelligent and I thank you introducing me to my new favorite word, "shtick".
Best April Fool's post on TLS so far.

sinfiery

Gold

Post by sinfiery » Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:02 pm

I often think about questions like this (is a society full of doctors, engineers, farmers, etc a good thing?) and it seems I responded where there really wasn't any warrant to do so.

But that's really whatever, what I will remember is how you defended your position. Goodluck.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

sflyr2016

Bronze

Post by sflyr2016 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:38 pm

sinfiery wrote:I often think about questions like this (is a society full of doctors, engineers, farmers, etc a good thing?) and it seems I responded where there really wasn't any warrant to do so.

But that's really whatever, what I will remember is how you defended your position. Goodluck.
No worries, I do the same. But, to your curiosity I would say:

I guess it depends on whether you think that health, technology, and food are good things. To the extent that two of those things are essential to human life, and you value life, then perhaps they are good. Of course, one can be healthy without doctors and one could eat without farmers, but it seems like these two things are entities that facilitate essential human "goods" among a society. And of course, technology meets this end as well.

I know, I switched the meaning of "good" in there (LSAT trick). But to the extent that it is blatantly obvious that those "goods" (medical services, and agriculture) are good for the purposes of sustaining human life.. Then yes, I suppose a society rich in doctors, engineers, and farmers, is good.
Last edited by sflyr2016 on Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

walkingpanda

New

Post by walkingpanda » Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:48 pm

joeant wrote:Thank lord you are deciding against becoming an attorney. With this sort-of self-serving stance on life, I would hate for someone to ever have to trust you as their lawyer. Go pursue your 21st century hippie-infused-Nietzschistic "New Life Goals". But when your done channeling your inner Eat Pray Love, and realize that you're broke, unhappy, and have to go back to your hard-working middle income parents for perspective and money.. Think back on this new-found epiphany and how you chose a life of pleasuring oneself, rather than making a sacrifice in-order to partake in something more significant -- like say becoming a working, professional, member of society.

Legal services are a necessity much the same way medicine is. It protects citizens and their rights, and ensures balance among society. Even biglaw greedy ass egotistical lawyers who care about nothing but money, provide a needed service to corporations that in turn pay taxes and create jobs, like the ones your parents probably work at now. Too bad they didn't take your approach on life huh? No, they actually both worked middle-income jobs to give their kid a chance at having an opportunity to become a professional and provide not only for himself, but for his family and those around him. But, no, you're opting to hike mountains and indulge in every pleasure-seeking thrill ride you can afford in order to stimulate your way to some naive platonic form of happiness. Might as well masturbate your way through life.. But after you come off of your high -- however long that takes -- and you realize that you've accomplished nothing and made no significant impact in anyone else's life other than your own, then I would love to hear about your perspective on "life goals" and "happiness".

Look bud, no one is telling you to go to law school. But please get the F off these boards with this hippie BS and high-horse rant about those with career objectives. Some of us dream about prospering off of hard work, and hope to do something meaningful that can improve the life of others. Not just ourselves. Listen, Indiana Jones, when you're done with your adventure, go back and apologize to your parents for your taking advantage of their hard work in laboring for you to have an opportunity that you wasted and have nothing to show for. But if you do indeed go this rout, perhaps, for the sake of irony, I wonder (I will not say I hope because I don't hope ill will on anyone) if somewhere along your adventure you have a son and then decide to go to work for some big corporation (because no-one else would hire you) to put food on his plate and bust your ass to give him an opportunity to study and someday become a professional, but, at the cusp of him becoming something.. He decides to go "hiking" off into the wilderness to "find himself".

I like how seriously you took this post. You could've written a New Yorker article with all those letters. But nay. . .

sinfiery

Gold

Post by sinfiery » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:31 pm

My thinking has been that health, food, and technology are a means to make survival easier. Now, this is why I am a huge fan of technology.
But there are times when I get the sense that people are striving to survive and not to use the benefits of that easier ability to survive (time, information, and ability) in an effort to do...something. Inherently, this seems wrong to me. Maybe it isn't, maybe it is, but that's where I generally get lost in tangents.

I dunno, one of those questions with no answer.

TurtlesAllTheWayDown

New

Post by TurtlesAllTheWayDown » Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:00 pm

Can we all at least agree that the people who "dream about prospering off of hard work, and hope to do something meaningful that can improve the life [sic] of others" aren't becoming lawyers?

Also, if anyone is tired of only pleasuring oneself, hit me up. I'm tired of pleasuring myself, too, so I'm taking applications. The job is only mostly sexual.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:12 pm

TurtlesAllTheWayDown wrote:Can we all at least agree that the people who "dream about prospering off of hard work, and hope to do something meaningful that can improve the life [sic] of others" aren't becoming lawyers?

Also, if anyone is tired of only pleasuring oneself, hit me up. I'm tired of pleasuring myself, too, so I'm taking applications. The job is only mostly sexual.
No one in their right mind is going to make sex with a glassjaw fan.

sflyr2016

Bronze

Post by sflyr2016 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:21 pm

TurtlesAllTheWayDown wrote:Can we all at least agree that the people who "dream about prospering off of hard work, and hope to do something meaningful that can improve the life [sic] of others" aren't becoming lawyers?

No. Public defense for indigent client attorneys', civil right's attorneys, almost the entirety of congress, current and past presidents, current and past judges, labor-union representatives, professors, elected officials, defense attorney's, small claims attorneys', malpractice attorneys, etc. all clearly benefit the lives of others.

And thank you for lending your credence to my point, self-pleasuring wears off.

TurtlesAllTheWayDown

New

Post by TurtlesAllTheWayDown » Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:31 pm

paratactical wrote:

No one in their right mind is going to make sex with a glassjaw fan.
Right-minded need not apply. I think there a few ideal candidates in this very thread...

TurtlesAllTheWayDown

New

Post by TurtlesAllTheWayDown » Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:48 pm

joeant wrote:

No. Public defense for indigent client attorneys', civil right's attorneys, almost the entirety of congress, current and past presidents, current and past judges, labor-union representatives, professors, elected officials, defense attorney's, small claims attorneys', malpractice attorneys, etc. all clearly benefit the lives of others.

And thank you for lending your credence to my point, self-pleasuring wears off.
I would wager that those noble magistrates of which you laundry listed don't really dream about prospering through hard work in the bucolic way you seem to suggest. Nary a lawyer dabs the sweat off his sun tanned brow after a hard day's work. Your pastoral sentiments don't really jibe with lawyering, unless you have some idealistic notions no more far-fetched than the OP's that you reject so loquaciously.

I would also bet all the granola I could get my greedy little hands on that a higher percentage of people who take the OP's hippy-Nietzche path (I probably would have said Thoreau) are happy in some real sense than that of the esquires.

Self-pleasuring doesn't wear off and neither does carpal tunnel.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”