Florida State 2L Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
howlery

Bronze

Re: Florida State 2L Taking Questions

Post by howlery » Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:23 pm

Is there any reason why GW is so popular with applicants from FL? I feel like I'm always hearing about someone applying there specifically or people talking about the school.

minuit

Silver

Post by minuit » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:25 pm

howlery wrote:Is there any reason why GW is so popular with applicants from FL? I feel like I'm always hearing about someone applying there specifically or people talking about the school.
I agree that there seems to be a lot of cross between GW and FL applicants. This is an educated guess, but it's probably because FL residents cannot decide if they want to stay in Florida permanently by going to an in-state school versus going to a larger, more "national" school in D.C. The reason GW is popular is because the top students at FSU/UF are probably also admitted as the bottom students at GW. I'm sure that GULC would be more popular, but that's just not an option for most FL applicants. Thus, you see a lot of "Do I want big-city D.C. and the shot at federal or biglaw jobs, but I could only get into GW?" versus "Should I just stay in Florida because I am happy here, and it's a lot cheaper, but it limits my options?"

gatorgirl2012

Bronze

Post by gatorgirl2012 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:01 pm

minuit wrote:
howlery wrote:Is there any reason why GW is so popular with applicants from FL? I feel like I'm always hearing about someone applying there specifically or people talking about the school.
I agree that there seems to be a lot of cross between GW and FL applicants. This is an educated guess, but it's probably because FL residents cannot decide if they want to stay in Florida permanently by going to an in-state school versus going to a larger, more "national" school in D.C. The reason GW is popular is because the top students at FSU/UF are probably also admitted as the bottom students at GW. I'm sure that GULC would be more popular, but that's just not an option for most FL applicants. Thus, you see a lot of "Do I want big-city D.C. and the shot at federal or biglaw jobs, but I could only get into GW?" versus "Should I just stay in Florida because I am happy here, and it's a lot cheaper, but it limits my options?"
I assure you, the TOP students at FSU and UF get in at t14s, GTown included.

minuit

Silver

Post by minuit » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:04 pm

gatorgirl2012 wrote:
minuit wrote:
I assure you, the TOP students at FSU and UF get in at t14s, GTown included.
I'm sure that you're correct, but that's a handful of people at each school any given year. I guess I meant "top" a bit more broadly. Perhaps "very strong applicants" was a better description.

sard

New

Post by sard » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:27 am

Can you suggest any places to live walking distance to the law school within 1 mile or so that are clean and not as run down as the apts directly across the street? Preferably with more grad students then undergrad students.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

minuit

Silver

Post by minuit » Thu May 02, 2013 2:09 am

sard wrote:Can you suggest any places to live walking distance to the law school within 1 mile or so that are clean and not as run down as the apts directly across the street? Preferably with more grad students then undergrad students.
It depends on your price range! The Cloisters are a popular/cool/trendy location, less than a 1/2 mile away south of the law school, but apartments are on the expensive side. The problem is that a lot of stuff around school, with the exception of the run down apartments directly across from the law school, are all pretty overrun by undergrads. There's a LOT of new, very nice looking development along Pensacola street and St. Augustine street that are within walking distance of the school, but that's going to be mostly undergrads. Another very popular area is Midtown, which is 1-2 miles away from school to the north and to the east of Frenchtown (the ghetto). I would say anything to the north of 4th Avenue and east of N. MLK Blvd. is sufficiently out of Frenchtown. Midtown is comprised of apartments, townhouses, and houses. This is more a graduate student area, or at least a quieter undergrad area, as it's mixed with regular residences and houses that have been converted into businesses. I've lived in Midtown for 3 years now, and I love this area of town. A lot of law students live in the general area. Those are really the only "close" places. A lot of law students live pretty far away in nicer apartments, with a lot of variance in price. A good apartment complex that is still going to be a drive but is reasonably priced is Londontown. If you join the FSU Law 2014 and 2015 groups on facebook, you'll see that a lot of people are posting houses and rooms for rent for the summer and upcoming year that are pretty good.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”