Do You Regret Going to Law School?

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
portaprokoss

Re: Do You Regret Going to Law School?

Postby portaprokoss » Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:56 pm

howlery wrote:
portaprokoss wrote:Even though I go to a T-14 for nearly free, even though my grades are decent, even though I landed a coveted paying 1L gig, even though I'm going to big law, even though it's in the market I want, even though it's in the practice group I want, and even though that practice group is the best at what it does in the country . . . I regret coming to law school with every fiber of my being.

Practicing law is boring. 95% of the work you'll do is not challenging, though it may seem to be because you're exhausted. The people are terrible. Even at the highest paying firms the money sucks (for how many hours you work & the three years of your life you lost going to law school). The only things lawyers have in common are shoddy family lives and the desire for material well-being.

The legal profession's biggest winners are life's biggest losers.

Yes. I regret going to law school.

If you could go back and choose differently, what would you have done? It sounds like you had amazing grades from undergrad and must be very talented to be where you are now.

Good grades are awarded to those of us who're the most anal; I don't think it has anything to do with talent. I'll work at a firm for two years to save up some cash then my brother and I will buy an orchard and make hard cider. If I could go back in time I would just skip law school, work for a year doing whatever, then buy the orchard. I think that most of us with the wherewithal to get into a good law school have the wherewithal to do our own thing or open up our own businesses and make real money, but we're afraid. We want the security blanket of an institution. We want a well-worn path. That was my mistake. I'm just glad I realized it before I threw away the rest of my life.

The law is a utilitarian art, like carpentry or plumbing. We serve a client. Serve. The worst of us serve low-lives who're divorcing one another. The "best" of us neglect our wives and children to do bitch work for some judge or mega-corporation. Lawyers make nothing of beauty, nothing of joy. We became lawyers because we wanted to be rich and powerful, but we live out our lives serving the rich and powerful. The law is a servile art.

ebrackns

Postby ebrackns » Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:13 pm

Tagging this thread.

I'm an 0L, but I think this is awesome. After reading Campos's book, I'll definitely be doing some hardcore research before applying and accepting (here's hoping). Scary times for those who are not realists (and pessimists, too, I guess).

Postby 06102016 » Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:36 pm

Danger Zone

Postby Danger Zone » Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:40 pm

Other than the people, law school isn't so bad. The substance is interesting, but as a 1L I obviously can't tell you how fucked I am yet.

howlery

Postby howlery » Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:57 pm

What if someone can't really see themselves doing anything else? Or do you think there is always an alternative but, for reasons mentioned in this thread, some choose to pursue law instead?

portaprokoss

Postby portaprokoss » Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:21 pm

howlery wrote:What if someone can't really see themselves doing anything else?

Then that person person is a typical applicant who thinks they're going to law school for all the right reasons.

Look. Nobody's going to be able to dissuade you; you just want validation, which is okay. Validation is something all 0Ls seek. The truth is you just won't know if it's the right decision until you're at school doing it. I was a paralegal for two years before enrolling. My father and grandfather are both lawyers. I shadowed a litigator/ family-friend daily through a month-long civil trial. I read all the should-I-go books and all the online posts and thought, "this is for me!" It isn't. There are no objectively "good" reasons to become a lawyer, just like there are no objectively "good" reasons to become a plumber. That's all just application bullshit speak.

The thing is you need to know when to bail: bail if you don't get into a top school; bail if you hate your first semester; bail if your first semester grades suck; bail if you hate second semester; bail if your second semester grades suck; bail if you hate your 1L job; bail if you don't get anything from OCI; bail when you start thinking "I would drop out if it wasn't for the debt;" bail if you hate your 2L summer; bail if you get no-offered; bail when you realized big law is ruining your life.

By way on anecdote, I have a classmate who's at the library so often her toddler screams "I hate you" every morning when she walks out the door. Should you go? The question isn't "should I go." You're going to go, regardless of what anyone says. The question is when should you quit.

. . . now if you'll excuse me, I have to go read mindnumbingly banal shit for the next 10 hours so I don't fail an exam for an eight thousand dollar class I only went to once.

quiver

Postby quiver » Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:49 pm

portaprokoss wrote:

Then that person person is a typical applicant who thinks they're going to law school for all the right reasons.

Look. Nobody's going to be able to dissuade you; you just want validation, which is okay. Validation is something all 0Ls seek. The truth is you just won't know if it's the right decision until you're at school doing it. I was a paralegal for two years before enrolling. My father and grandfather are both lawyers. I shadowed a litigator/ family-friend daily through a month-long civil trial. I read all the should-I-go books and all the online posts and thought, "this is for me!" It isn't. There are no objectively "good" reasons to become a lawyer, just like there are no objectively "good" reasons to become a plumber. That's all just application bullshit speak.

The thing is you need to know when to bail: bail if you don't get into a top school; bail if you hate your first semester; bail if your first semester grades suck; bail if you hate second semester; bail if your second semester grades suck; bail if you hate your 1L job; bail if you don't get anything from OCI; bail when you start thinking "I would drop out if it wasn't for the debt;" bail if you hate your 2L summer; bail if you get no-offered; bail when you realized big law is ruining your life.

By way on anecdote, I have a classmate who's at the library so often her toddler screams "I hate you" every morning when she walks out the door. Should you go? The question isn't "should I go." You're going to go, regardless of what anyone says. The question is when should you quit.

. . . now if you'll excuse me, I have to go read mindnumbingly banal shit for the next 10 hours so I don't fail an exam for an eight thousand dollar class I only went to once.
This person's posts are . . . dark. But I weirdly love reading them.

LaBarrister

Postby LaBarrister » Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:50 pm

quiver wrote:
portaprokoss wrote:

This person's posts are . . . dark. But I weirdly love reading them.

They just cut through the bullshit. I am very thankful for them.

sinfiery

Postby sinfiery » Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:16 pm

portaprokoss wrote:Good grades are awarded to those of us who're the most anal; I don't think it has anything to do with talent. I'll work at a firm for two years to save up some cash then my brother and I will buy an orchard and make hard cider. If I could go back in time I would just skip law school, work for a year doing whatever, then buy the orchard. I think that most of us with the wherewithal to get into a good law school have the wherewithal to do our own thing or open up our own businesses and make real money, but we're afraid. We want the security blanket of an institution. We want a well-worn path. That was my mistake. I'm just glad I realized it before I threw away the rest of my life.

The law is a utilitarian art, like carpentry or plumbing. We serve a client. Serve. The worst of us serve low-lives who're divorcing one another. The "best" of us neglect our wives and children to do bitch work for some judge or mega-corporation. Lawyers make nothing of beauty, nothing of joy. We became lawyers because we wanted to be rich and powerful, but we live out our lives serving the rich and powerful. The law is a servile art.

I love your posts and insight but

Wants to be rich and powerful

Buys orchid to make cider

portaprokoss

Postby portaprokoss » Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:40 pm

sinfiery wrote:I love your posts and insight but

I'll be drinking that cider all the way to the bank, my friend.

LaBarrister

Postby LaBarrister » Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:47 pm

portaprokoss wrote:. . . now if you'll excuse me, I have to go read mindnumbingly banal shit for the next 10 hours so I don't fail an exam for an eight thousand dollar class I only went to once.

eric922

Postby eric922 » Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:48 pm

I have to say. All the research I've been doing (and this thread just confirms a lot of what I've read) is really making me reconsider law school. I've always thought I wanted to be a lawyer, but I won't like the market is looking bleak and I've heard so many stories about the soul-sucking nature of biglaw that I'm not sure it's worth it. I've even started looking into getting a computer engineering degree. I always used to want to make video games and at least I'd be creating something. I don't know, maybe I'm just overly pessimistic.
Last edited by eric922 on Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:49 pm

portaprokoss wrote:

Amber gold friends, amber gold.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:58 pm

eric922 wrote:I have to say. All the research I've been doing (and this thread just confirms a lot of what I've read) is really making me reconsider law school. I've always thought I wanted to be a lawyer, but I won't like the market is looking bleak and I've heard so many stories about the soul-sucking nature of biglaw that I'm not sure it's worth it. I've even started looking into getting a computer engineering degree. I always used to want to make video games and at least I'd be creating something. I don't know, maybe I'm just overly pessimistic.

Trying to get and hold a job in the video game industry is probably worse than law. Not sure why you'd go from one bad field to another.

sinfiery

Postby sinfiery » Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:14 pm

portaprokoss wrote:

Yeah, definitely but money didn't seem to be your gripe with law

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:16 pm

Yes

Postby 06102016 » Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:39 pm

bizzybone1313

Postby bizzybone1313 » Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:46 pm

slack_academic wrote:Even if you hate the law, you can use your experience and credentials as a springboard into the exciting and lucrative world of politics. What's not to like?

That is my primary reason for attending law school, so I can gun for a political career. If I fail, I at least gave it a go.

homestyle28 wrote:
portaprokoss wrote:

Amber gold friends, amber gold.

I lol'ed hard at the cider/orchard goal, but if that is your dream then go for it. The biggest problem with a law degree is how much it costs. Everything else isn't too bad.

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:47 pm

slack_academic wrote:Even if you hate the law, you can use your experience and credentials as a springboard into the exciting and lucrative world of politics. What's not to like?

lol

portaprokoss

Postby portaprokoss » Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:48 pm

sinfiery wrote:
portaprokoss wrote:

Yeah, definitely but money didn't seem to be your gripe with law

No, man. I'm trying to tell you that when I'm running an orchard I am literally going to be drinking cider as I drive to and from the bank. I may need you to use that JD to make that DUI disappear. I just wanted to give you a heads up so you will book-up on that crim pro.

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:51 pm

:lol:

Postby 06102016 » Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:52 pm

Antrim

Postby Antrim » Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:53 pm

naw

LaBarrister

Postby LaBarrister » Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:00 pm

slack_academic wrote:Nobody in politics cares about your law degree.

This is untrue. Politicians do look favorably upon those with a legal education.

NoodleyOne

Postby NoodleyOne » Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:07 pm

I am really curious as to the backgrounds of all these misanthropes. Upper-middle class upbringing?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”