Do You Regret Going to Law School?

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
okinawa

Re: Do You Regret Going to Law School?

Postby okinawa » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:27 am

I don't regret it, but I don't know. It's a close call.

I entered law school wanting to do bigfed because I wanted to do something I felt was on the right side of moral (at least in my book) and I was terrified of the biglaw horror stories. But going to a school where most people do biglaw... it's hard to describe. Everyone you know and talk to is doing 2L OCI. Everyone, even people who swore two months ago they were PI4lyfe etc etc.

You can't know what it's like to go through a year of classes that were tougher than you thought, grades that were lower than you would like, non-stop news about employment crisis, and then be faced with the possibility of a fairly guaranteed job post-grad. It's not the money that is tempting. I'd never looked at a $3000 weekly paycheck in my entire life and that much money yearly was almost incomprehensible to me. It's the security of not graduating unemployed, of having at least a few years before you'd be pushed out and you could pay off your loans.

So it's not that easy to just say, "Oh, I know what X area of law is like and I don't want biglaw anyway, so I'll be fine." I know super smart people who all they went to law school wanting was a $160k paycheck who struck out or were no offered. Even the people who really wanted PI had their confidence shook when they got nothing during OCI, and most of them were still unemployed at graduation. I knew people who gave into that sense of security and then were Howrey'd/Dewey'd or no offered, which puts you in the worst possible situation: no biglaw job, no way of pleading true conviction to PI or gov't work later.

I knew a total of 3 people who graduated with jobs in public interest or government, and almost everyone else who wanted that graduated unemployed. I did the 2L biglaw thing and hated it so much, even as a summer. I feel like it was a fucking miracle that I managed to graduate with an honors attorney offer, and getting to that point was some of the worst months of my entire life, spending every night up all night terrified of unemployed, worried I made the wrong choice, kicking myself for not sticking with biglaw, feeling so depressed and worthless. I had unemployed 3L friends and we would go out drinking together and every single time someone would end up crying. Sometimes it was me, more often someone else.

So I mean, where I am now, I don't regret it. I am doing what I went to law school to do. I like it a lot, and I feel good about my work. The pay is better than what I was doing before law school by quite a bit, the office is relaxed and I can take my vacation days. Rarely work past 9/5 working hours, though there is some travel, which I don't enjoy. All in all a dream outcome for what I wanted. And it's still a really, really close call as to whether I regret going to law school.

ETA: I guess people are finding this relevant, so I'll just say that I went to one of the upper range T14 schools with a scholarship; based on other threads, it seems like most TLS posters would have encouraged me to take that offer if I had posted a thread asking about it before I enrolled.
Last edited by okinawa on Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mrman17

Postby mrman17 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:35 am

Not to be a "Debbie Downer," but lawyers have the highest suicide rate among professionals (though dentists are up there too). Headline: Law is not likely to be a very fulfilling occupation.

Try to job shadow an attorney someday (on an average day), and ask yourself if that is really how you want to spend your life until age +65. I realized as a 1L that I would rather be a janitor than a lawyer. After graduation, I was offered a job at a firm representing banks in foreclosure cases. Just visiting the firm was soul sucking.

Do I regret law school? Yes, but that is irrelevant now that it's over and I'm a member of the bar. Am I better off for having a law degree? Yes, because it opened the door for a great non-law job (that still uses the skills that I gained in law school) with much better potential and a much better quality of life. I am also making a lot more money than most of my classmates. Would I recommend law school to anyone? Not if I cared about the person.

Rahviveh

Postby Rahviveh » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:51 am

mrman17 wrote:Not to be a "Debbie Downer," but lawyers have the highest suicide rate among professionals (though dentists are up there too). Headline: Law is not likely to be a very fulfilling occupation.

Try to job shadow an attorney someday (on an average day), and ask yourself if that is really how you want to spend your life until age +65. I realized as a 1L that I would rather be a janitor than a lawyer. After graduation, I was offered a job at a firm representing banks in foreclosure cases. Just visiting the firm was soul sucking.

Do I regret law school? Yes, but that is irrelevant now that it's over and I'm a member of the bar. Am I better off for having a law degree? Yes, because it opened the door for a great non-law job (that still uses the skills that I gained in law school) with much better potential and a much better quality of life. I am also making a lot more money than most of my classmates. Would I recommend law school to anyone? Not if I cared about the person.

What's your non law job now?

mrman17

Postby mrman17 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:53 am

ChampagnePapi wrote:
mrman17 wrote:Not to be a "Debbie Downer," but lawyers have the highest suicide rate among professionals (though dentists are up there too). Headline: Law is not likely to be a very fulfilling occupation.

What's your non law job now?

Regulatory compliance in the financial industry.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:00 am

okinawa wrote:I don't regret it, but I don't know. It's a close call.

I entered law school wanting to do bigfed because I wanted to do something I felt was on the right side of moral (at least in my book) and I was terrified of the biglaw horror stories. But going to a school where most people do biglaw... it's hard to describe. Everyone you know and talk to is doing 2L OCI. Everyone, even people who swore two months ago they were PI4lyfe etc etc.

You can't know what it's like to go through a year of classes that were tougher than you thought, grades that were lower than you would like, non-stop news about employment crisis, and then be faced with the possibility of a fairly guaranteed job post-grad. It's not the money that is tempting. I'd never looked at a $3000 weekly paycheck in my entire life and that much money yearly was almost incomprehensible to me. It's the security of not graduating unemployed, of having at least a few years before you'd be pushed out and you could pay off your loans.

So it's not that easy to just say, "Oh, I know what X area of law is like and I don't want biglaw anyway, so I'll be fine." I know super smart people who all they went to law school wanting was a $160k paycheck who struck out or were no offered. Even the people who really wanted PI had their confidence shook when they got nothing during OCI, and most of them were still unemployed at graduation. I knew people who gave into that sense of security and then were Howrey'd/Dewey'd or no offered, which puts you in the worst possible situation: no biglaw job, no way of pleading true conviction to PI or gov't work later.

I knew a total of 3 people who graduated with jobs in public interest or government, and almost everyone else who wanted that graduated unemployed. I did the 2L biglaw thing and hated it so much, even as a summer. I feel like it was a fucking miracle that I managed to graduate with an honors attorney offer, and getting to that point was some of the worst months of my entire life, spending every night up all night terrified of unemployed, worried I made the wrong choice, kicking myself for not sticking with biglaw, feeling so depressed and worthless. I had unemployed 3L friends and we would go out drinking together and every single time someone would end up crying. Sometimes it was me, more often someone else.

So I mean, where I am now, I don't regret it. I am doing what I went to law school to do. I like it a lot, and I feel good about my work. The pay is better than what I was doing before law school by quite a bit, the office is relaxed and I can take my vacation days. Rarely work past 9/5 working hours, though there is some travel, which I don't enjoy. All in all a dream outcome for what I wanted. And it's still a really, really close call as to whether I regret going to law school.

Can you please repost this every time a 0L says "I don't really want biglaw"?

utlaw2007

Postby utlaw2007 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:23 pm

All I can say is that I think most students go to law school not really knowing what they are in for. Nobody knows as a 0L what they are in for no matter how much research they do. But many have absolutely NO idea what they are in for. And most of those students are slammed with the reality that law school and practicing law is not for them. But they stick it out because now they have taken on so much debt that a law job is the only way to pay it off. That is the reality for many. And those that go who can't find jobs really find themselves in a terrible mess because that is not what they expected. Otherwise, they would have never gone in the first place. Who would?

The reason why I love my decision to go to law school is because I was out for 10 years trying to find myself. And those were a struggling ten years. The situation could have not gotten any worse by going to law school. I was looking for a way to improve my situation. Law school could only help. If it did nothing, it sure as hell couldn't have made things worse for me. And don't talk to me about debt. I already had debt and no job. So I was already there.

Couple that with the fact that I became really sick in law school with a rare illness, things got really bleak for me. But practicing law as a plaintiff's lawyer is the only way I can afford my healthcare long term. No biglaw or any other job could have done the trick. I know the salaries of biglaw associates (160k to 250k ballpark). And successful plaintiff's lawyers put them to shame. My medication is ridiculously expensive. So I am very thankful for what I do. I have traveled an incredibly difficult road full of nonstop hardship much worse than a bleak outlook of getting no offered. I just wanted to live a normal life and not have it get cut short. Those problems I faced allowed me to press forward in the face of adversity and make things happen for myself, all with God's help, of course. Often times, life is not fair. It's how we respond to those situations, what we do to make the best of those situations, and ultimately, dig ourselves out of those situations that matters. Because in the end, you have only yourself and God to count on for making your way successful.

And I'm very thankful to God that I have recovered, gotten a handle on my illness, and have found success with what I do as a lawyer and owner of a law firm.

enigmabk

Postby enigmabk » Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:55 pm

utlaw2007 wrote:All I can say is that I think most students go to law school not really knowing what they are in for. Nobody knows as a 0L what they are in for no matter how much research they do. But many have absolutely NO idea what they are in for. And most of those students are slammed with the reality that law school and practicing law is not for them. But they stick it out because now they have taken on so much debt that a law job is the only way to pay it off. That is the reality for many. And those that go who can't find jobs really find themselves in a terrible mess because that is not what they expected. Otherwise, they would have never gone in the first place. Who would?

The reason why I love my decision to go to law school is because I was out for 10 years trying to find myself. And those were a struggling ten years. The situation could have not gotten any worse by going to law school. I was looking for a way to improve my situation. Law school could only help. If it did nothing, it sure as hell couldn't have made things worse for me. And don't talk to me about debt. I already had debt and no job. So I was already there.

Couple that with the fact that I became really sick in law school with a rare illness, things got really bleak for me. But practicing law as a plaintiff's lawyer is the only way I can afford my healthcare long term. No biglaw or any other job could have done the trick. I know the salaries of biglaw associates (160k to 250k ballpark). And successful plaintiff's lawyers put them to shame. My medication is ridiculously expensive. So I am very thankful for what I do. I have traveled an incredibly difficult road full of nonstop hardship much worse than a bleak outlook of getting no offered. I just wanted to live a normal life and not have it get cut short. Those problems I faced allowed me to press forward in the face of adversity and make things happen for myself, all with God's help, of course. Often times, life is not fair. It's how we respond to those situations, what we do to make the best of those situations, and ultimately, dig ourselves out of those situations that matters. Because in the end, you have only yourself and God to count on for making your way successful.

And I'm very thankful to God that I have recovered, gotten a handle on my illness, and have found success with what I do as a lawyer and owner of a law firm.

Did you write a kick ass personal statement?

utlaw2007

Postby utlaw2007 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:58 pm

enigmabk wrote:
utlaw2007 wrote:All I can say is that I think most students go to law school not really knowing what they are in for. Nobody knows as a 0L what they are in for no matter how much research they do. But many have absolutely NO idea what they are in for. And most of those students are slammed with the reality that law school and practicing law is not for them. But they stick it out because now they have taken on so much debt that a law job is the only way to pay it off. That is the reality for many. And those that go who can't find jobs really find themselves in a terrible mess because that is not what they expected. Otherwise, they would have never gone in the first place. Who would?

Did you write a kick ass personal statement?

Yes, I did.

Master Tofu

Postby Master Tofu » Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:32 am

Godspeed my man, keep fighting the good fight.

Master Tofu

Postby Master Tofu » Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:35 am

An article about the choice between prestige and a lesser debt burden at the college level but the points are generally applicable in the law school context as well:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/20/your- ... h_20130420

utlaw2007

Postby utlaw2007 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:10 pm

Master Tofu wrote:

Godspeed my man, keep fighting the good fight.

Thank you.

worldtraveler

Postby worldtraveler » Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:19 am

I absolutely do not regret my decision, but I admit that I am a special snowflake and my situation is not the norm. I loved law school and loved the classes, except for a few. I did a joint degree and I for the most part found it very intellectually engaging. I also made awesome friendships during law school and I've never been around such intelligent and interesting people as I have in law school. I didn't do a journal, didn't take courses I felt I had to take, and generally avoided the "group think" mentality that pervades law school.

I'm graduating in May, have a job in human rights for the near future, and I'm extremely lucky. But I also busted my butt to get here and I just ending up falling into all of my post graduate opportunities by sheer luck or random connections. If I met a person considering law school who has similar interests to me, I think I would tell them not to do it, even though it worked out for me. I would also tell every single person to TAKE TIME OFF AFTER UNDERGRAD. I don't know a single person who regrets taking a couple years to do something different.

Scotusnerd

Postby Scotusnerd » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:57 am

worldtraveler wrote:I I would also tell every single person to TAKE TIME OFF AFTER UNDERGRAD. I don't know a single person who regrets taking a couple years to do something different.

This. Employers want an adult that can do the job. And believe me, your first law job is not a good place to figure out the ins and outs of people politics. They will chew you up and spit you out.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:44 pm

I despise law school with a passion. I have to agree with everyone here who says the curriculum teaches you next to nothing. You can surf the internet during class and study for a day or two before your exam, and you can do great (although you can do extremely poorly if you study for months). If you can do that, than what are they actually teaching you in class? Who cares if your professors are "prestigious" when they just repeat the same crap TTTT professors do from the same books? Almost everything I've learned in law school was either through clinics/summer internships or being part of a law journal and writing/editing a note and an article.

So from a pedagogical standpoint, it's bullshit.

And from an evaluation standpoint, it's equally bullshit. Law school grades are random, arbitrary, and not very well correlated with how well you understand the law. Studies show they are most highly correlated with word count, which means typing speed is the most important factor. And yet grades are all employers care about--not because it says anything about your ability, but because they want to sell the "prestige" of high grades at an inflated billing rate to their naive clients.

As others have mentioned, law exams require very little creative thinking or problem-solving skills. It's mostly just memorization/regurgitation, with some superficial analysis mixed in.

Everything about the legal education industry is worthless and fake. It's a 3-year hazing ritual to take your money and break your spirit so you are forced into being a biglaw drone for 8 years, or so that you are prevented by debt from opening up your own shop and competing with the big guys. The reality is that just about anyone can open up their own shop and compete on price if they have the resources, because practicing law does not require a massive amount of talent.

With that said, I don't regret going, because I very much want to be a lawyer. I enjoy litigation. I enjoy actually doing real legal work and learning how to manage a case. I like writing. I like the strategic thinking of litigation/civil procedure. The problem is that law school doesn't teach/prepare you for any of that. It's just a giant, stressful waste of time and money. It is corrupt. Not the kind of hard corruption of certain governments, etc., but a soft, negligent, unintentional corruption where even though many of the actors mean well, together they form a system that leeches off of the federal loan spigot, doesn't leave students with any value, and leaves students left holding a criminally large bill.

If I could start all over from ground zero, I would have stuck with physics and gotten a PhD. Not a lot of money, but at least you learn real skills about real things. But that would have been too much schooling at my age. If I could start all over from the law school perspective, I would have just moved to California, got a 30 hour/week job, read for the bar, and prepared myself to start my own firm. If you can bypass the law school bureaucracy, I highly encourage you to do so. If you want to start your own firm, no one's stopping you. The first year might be rough, but it can't possibly be as rough as having a mountain of debt. If you start winning cases, no one is going to care that you read for the bar instead of went to law school.

NoodleyOne

Postby NoodleyOne » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:47 pm

JCougar wrote:I despise law school with a passion. I have to agree with everyone here who says the curriculum teaches you next to nothing. You can surf the internet during class and study for a day or two before your exam, and you can do great (although you can do extremely poorly if you study for months). If you can do that, than what are they actually teaching you in class? Who cares if your professors are "prestigious" when they just repeat the same crap TTTT professors do from the same books? Almost everything I've learned in law school was either through clinics/summer internships or being part of a law journal and writing/editing a note and an article.

So from a pedagogical standpoint, it's bullshit.

And from an evaluation standpoint, it's equally bullshit. Law school grades are random, arbitrary, and not very well correlated with how well you understand the law. Studies show they are most highly correlated with word count, which means typing speed is the most important factor. And yet grades are all employers care about--not because it says anything about your ability, but because they want to sell the "prestige" of high grades at an inflated billing rate to their naive clients.

As others have mentioned, law exams require very little creative thinking or problem-solving skills. It's mostly just memorization/regurgitation, with some superficial analysis mixed in.

Everything about the legal education industry is worthless and fake. It's a 3-year hazing ritual to take your money and break your spirit so you are forced into being a biglaw drone for 8 years, or so that you are prevented by debt from opening up your own shop and competing with the big guys. The reality is that just about anyone can open up their own shop and compete on price if they have the resources, because practicing law does not require a massive amount of talent.

With that said, I don't regret going, because I very much want to be a lawyer. I enjoy litigation. I enjoy actually doing real legal work and learning how to manage a case. I like writing. I like the strategic thinking of litigation/civil procedure. The problem is that law school doesn't teach/prepare you for any of that. It's just a giant, stressful waste of time and money. It is corrupt. Not the kind of hard corruption of certain governments, etc., but a soft, negligent, unintentional corruption where even though many of the actors mean well, together they form a system that leeches off of the federal loan spigot, doesn't leave students with any value, and leaves students left holding a criminally large bill.

If I could start all over from ground zero, I would have stuck with physics and gotten a PhD. Not a lot of money, but at least you learn real skills about real things. But that would have been too much schooling at my age. If I could start all over from the law school perspective, I would have just moved to California, got a 30 hour/week job, read for the bar, and prepared myself to start my own firm. If you can bypass the law school bureaucracy, I highly encourage you to do so. If you want to start your own firm, no one's stopping you. The first year might be rough, but it can't possibly be as rough as having a mountain of debt. If you start winning cases, no one is going to care that you read for the bar instead of went to law school.

Stop beating around the bush. How do you REALLY feel?

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:13 pm

NoodleyOne wrote:Stop beating around the bush. How do you REALLY feel?

To tell you the truth, though, once I get done with this last slate of exams, I'll feel a lot better than I did at my job before law school.

Law school is just a hazing ritual--a necessary evil. I think I am going to enjoy practice.

NoodleyOne

Postby NoodleyOne » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:16 pm

JCougar wrote:
NoodleyOne wrote:Stop beating around the bush. How do you REALLY feel?

To tell you the truth, though, once I get done with this last slate of exams, I'll feel a lot better than I did at my job before law school.

Law school is just a hazing ritual--a necessary evil. I think I am going to enjoy practice.

Well while you're a negative nancy, I do think you're a good contributor, and I wish you luck.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:05 pm

NoodleyOne wrote:Well while you're a negative nancy, I do think you're a good contributor, and I wish you luck.

I was actually relived when law school started. I liked being around bright, young, mostly liberal people. First semester 1L was the most fun I've had since undergrad (which for me, was a while ago).

By 3L, everybody's mostly jaded and/or burnt out (including me). Not to mention physically out of shape and stressed out. It's impossible for 0Ls to realize how truly limited the real opportunities in law are, and just how much competition there is for each and every one. Even the unpaid internships are massively competitive.

I feel lucky to have an unpaid job lined up at the government agency of my choice. There's no full-time positions because of "austerity" and the "sequester." Sooner or later, Congress will figure it out. If Sallie Mae ever wants to get their money back, they're going to have to pay me eventually. You can't squeeze blood out of a turnip.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”