Roughly how much assigned reading per day/week in 1L? Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
rawlsohard

New

Roughly how much assigned reading per day/week in 1L?

Post by rawlsohard » Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:15 pm

In total, I mean.

Also, if possible, how many words per page? 80 pages isn't much if it's ~150 words per page, but if it's ~500 that's another story.

edit: I suck at Google. This thread already answered my question -- about 200-350/week, or 40-70/day.
Last edited by rawlsohard on Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ManOfTheMinute

Gold

Re: Roughly how much assigned reading per day/week in 1L?

Post by ManOfTheMinute » Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:18 pm

rawlsohard wrote:In total, I mean.

Also, if possible, how many words per page? 80 pages isn't much if it's ~150 words per page, but if it's ~500 that's another story.
If you care this much, LS probably isn't for you.

jarofsoup

Gold

Post by jarofsoup » Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:25 pm

Its not a lot of reading per week always it is just constant, and sometimes dense.

The truth is that it is the snowball effect, not the amount of work.

rawlsohard

New

Post by rawlsohard » Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:04 pm

ManOfTheMinute wrote:If you care this much, LS probably isn't for you.
It's useful information, especially when you can prepare yourself emotionally for that commitment. You can know that you'll have to read a lot in law school, but that doesn't paint a picture of how much effort you're about to exert.

You could say the same thing about asking how many hours you should work as a lawyer: "if you care about how many hours a week you work, being a lawyer probably isn't for you." But there are a lot of legitimate reasons to ask that question.

shock259

Gold

Post by shock259 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:21 pm

Varies tremendously, but if I had to guess, I'd say I probably got 60-80pgs per 3 credit class per week. And there's exceptions on both ends of the spectrum.

Density and complexity of the readings is more important than overall page count. I'm in a policy class now that has an undergrad-esque textbook. I can skim those readings in no time. Also, unexcerpted cases usually go fast because there is a lot of preamble/stock language/headnotes/other crap. But sometimes 20 pages of contract reading can take hours and hours.

slawww

Silver

Post by slawww » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:35 am

ManOfTheMinute wrote:
rawlsohard wrote:In total, I mean.

If you care this much, LS probably isn't for you.
This is a completely rational question for a prospective law student planning on spending tens of thousands of dollars on an education to ask.

Edited for horrible internetting.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”