Roughly how much assigned reading per day/week in 1L?

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
rawlsohard

Roughly how much assigned reading per day/week in 1L?

Postby rawlsohard » Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:15 pm

In total, I mean.

Also, if possible, how many words per page? 80 pages isn't much if it's ~150 words per page, but if it's ~500 that's another story.

edit: I suck at Google. This thread already answered my question -- about 200-350/week, or 40-70/day.
Last edited by rawlsohard on Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ManOfTheMinute

Re: Roughly how much assigned reading per day/week in 1L?

Postby ManOfTheMinute » Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:18 pm

rawlsohard wrote:In total, I mean.

Also, if possible, how many words per page? 80 pages isn't much if it's ~150 words per page, but if it's ~500 that's another story.

If you care this much, LS probably isn't for you.

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:25 pm

Its not a lot of reading per week always it is just constant, and sometimes dense.

The truth is that it is the snowball effect, not the amount of work.

rawlsohard

Postby rawlsohard » Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:04 pm

ManOfTheMinute wrote:If you care this much, LS probably isn't for you.

It's useful information, especially when you can prepare yourself emotionally for that commitment. You can know that you'll have to read a lot in law school, but that doesn't paint a picture of how much effort you're about to exert.

You could say the same thing about asking how many hours you should work as a lawyer: "if you care about how many hours a week you work, being a lawyer probably isn't for you." But there are a lot of legitimate reasons to ask that question.

shock259

Postby shock259 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:21 pm

Varies tremendously, but if I had to guess, I'd say I probably got 60-80pgs per 3 credit class per week. And there's exceptions on both ends of the spectrum.

Density and complexity of the readings is more important than overall page count. I'm in a policy class now that has an undergrad-esque textbook. I can skim those readings in no time. Also, unexcerpted cases usually go fast because there is a lot of preamble/stock language/headnotes/other crap. But sometimes 20 pages of contract reading can take hours and hours.

slawww

Postby slawww » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:35 am

ManOfTheMinute wrote:
rawlsohard wrote:In total, I mean.

If you care this much, LS probably isn't for you.

This is a completely rational question for a prospective law student planning on spending tens of thousands of dollars on an education to ask.

Edited for horrible internetting.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”