How hard is it to transfer to HYS from MVPB Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
gaucholaw

Bronze

How hard is it to transfer to HYS from MVPB

Post by gaucholaw » Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:20 pm

1. where would you have to place in % of your class
2. how much would lsat and ug gpa be factored
3. Before I get any "Don't go to law school planning on transferring up".... I'm not, I'm thrilled with where I'm going and INTEND on staying all 3 years.... nonetheless, knowledge is power 8)

txdude45

Silver

Re: How hard is it to transfer to HYS from MVPB

Post by txdude45 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:32 pm

gaucholaw wrote:1. where would you have to place in % of your class
2. how much would lsat and ug gpa be factored
3. Before I get any "Don't go to law school planning on transferring up".... I'm not, I'm thrilled with where I'm going and INTEND on staying all 3 years.... nonetheless, knowledge is power 8)
Basic 0L TLS research: Roman numeral IV will be of some assistance
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 27&t=82937

tl;dr- LSAT/GPA won't matter a ton b/c you have real grades, but YS may still take a peek. You should be top 20% at a minimum, but top 10% would probably get you in at least 1.

patrickd139

Gold

Post by patrickd139 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:36 pm

Hey 0L: Don't go to a law school intending to transfer. Mosey on over to the Transfer Forum when you have law school grades.

txdude45

Silver

Post by txdude45 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:38 pm

patrickd139 wrote:Hey 0L: Don't go to a law school intending to transfer. Mosey on over to the Transfer Forum when you have law school grades.
I didn't exactly buy #3 either

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:48 pm

If you're really not going to law school with the intent to transfer and are just asking as a just-in-case question or from curiosity, just do as well as you possibly can, which you should be trying to do anyway.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

gaucholaw

Bronze

Post by gaucholaw » Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:51 am

thanks for the link it was helpful.... in regards to the other doubters, let me refrain my question.... under the premise that transferring up could give me leverage to negotiate more money, which definitely is on my mind, rather than transferring in and of itself... (and if im in that position i'd probably wanna stay at mvpb 'if it ain't broke don't fix it'), this thread is purely for conjecture

but if any of you guys know any other ways to renegotiate money during 1L, please let me know!

Cobretti

Gold

Post by Cobretti » Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:54 am

gaucholaw wrote:thanks for the link it was helpful.... in regards to the other doubters, let me refrain my question.... under the premise that transferring up could give me leverage to negotiate more money, which definitely is on my mind, rather than transferring in and of itself... (and if im in that position i'd probably wanna stay at mvpb 'if it ain't broke don't fix it'), this thread is purely for conjecture

but if any of you guys know any other ways to renegotiate money during 1L, please let me know!
is negotiating more scholarship money after 1L actually a thing? At that point they already got the benefit from your stats, why would they really care if you transferred? If you do they'll just accept 1 more transfer into the school (edit: at sticker).

Yukos

Gold

Post by Yukos » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:33 am

mrizza wrote:
gaucholaw wrote:thanks for the link it was helpful.... in regards to the other doubters, let me refrain my question.... under the premise that transferring up could give me leverage to negotiate more money, which definitely is on my mind, rather than transferring in and of itself... (and if im in that position i'd probably wanna stay at mvpb 'if it ain't broke don't fix it'), this thread is purely for conjecture

is negotiating more scholarship money after 1L actually a thing? At that point they already got the benefit from your stats, why would they really care if you transferred? If you do they'll just accept 1 more transfer into the school (edit: at sticker).
I have a friend who had a transfer acceptance at HYS; his lower T14 gave him a substantial scholarship to stay. Yes the LSAT/GPA stats don't matter at that point but they want to keep bright students who are probably going to be successful and, at the least, will help their employment stats.

Gold

Post by 20141023 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:06 pm

Last edited by 20141023 on Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

dailygrind

Diamond

Post by dailygrind » Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:26 pm

Regulus wrote:I am interested to hear more about what Yukos mentioned regarding using a successful transfer "up" to negotiate more scholarship with one's current institution. This is the first time I've heard of such a thing.
Hearsay, but I'm pretty sure that most, if not all, of the t14 don't do this.

Yukos

Gold

Post by Yukos » Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:34 pm

dailygrind wrote:
Regulus wrote:I am interested to hear more about what Yukos mentioned regarding using a successful transfer "up" to negotiate more scholarship with one's current institution. This is the first time I've heard of such a thing.
It seems like a pretty rare occurrence so I can't out the school without risking outing him, unfortunately.

M458

Bronze

Post by M458 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:53 pm

dailygrind wrote:
Think I read on the "Northwestern 3Ls answer questions" thread that Northwestern did in fact do this.

Rahviveh

Gold

Post by Rahviveh » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:14 pm

I know of one case where it happened at a T8 (sorry for the lame tiering just trying to preserve anonymity lol)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

kryptix

Bronze

Post by kryptix » Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:08 pm

If you were top 10% at MVPB, why bother transferring, you'll get a good job anyway...

I guess you could always threaten to transfer for more fin aid though...

Micdiddy

Gold

Post by Micdiddy » Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:42 pm

Do schools that accept your transfer often/ever offer scholarship? If not, I can't see paying sticker at hys to be much if a threat for leaving a t12.

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:24 pm

Micdiddy wrote:Do schools that accept your transfer often/ever offer scholarship? If not, I can't see paying sticker at hys to be much if a threat for leaving a t12.
HYS need based aid is open to everyone, including transfers.

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:39 am

Regulus wrote:I have a friend that took the K-JD route and went to Penn, was in the top 10% of his class, but got rejected when he tried to transfer to HY. (Of course, this is just one data point so it doesn't mean much... I just thought I'd throw it out there because it is kinda-sorta related to this thread.)

I am interested to hear more about what Yukos mentioned regarding using a successful transfer "up" to negotiate more scholarship with one's current institution. This is the first time I've heard of such a thing.
Barring extraordinary circumstances, top 10% is the necessary, but not necessarily sufficient, minimum. FWIW, no one knows for sure where the top 10% cut-off is, but it's probably thereabouts a 3.7.
kryptix wrote:If you were top 10% at MVPB, why bother transferring, you'll get a good job anyway...
Academia.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”