Concerned about how my resume will look

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
User avatar
Tim0thy222
Posts: 341
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:57 am

Concerned about how my resume will look

Postby Tim0thy222 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:53 pm

Thanks all!
Last edited by Tim0thy222 on Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
dietcoke0
Posts: 601
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:46 pm

Re: Concerned about how my resume will look

Postby dietcoke0 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:11 pm

No one going to care about what you did beforehand if it wasn't legal. A good portion of law students are k-jd, and a good portion of the rest don't have any legal experience. Clinics, summers, externships, and other awards will fill your resume soon enough.

User avatar
Tim0thy222
Posts: 341
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:57 am

Re: Concerned about how my resume will look

Postby Tim0thy222 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:24 pm

dietcoke0 wrote:No one going to care about what you did beforehand if it wasn't legal. A good portion of law students are k-jd, and a good portion of the rest don't have any legal experience. Clinics, summers, externships, and other awards will fill your resume soon enough.


Thank you. That's a big relief to hear.

Big Dog
Posts: 1191
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: Concerned about how my resume will look

Postby Big Dog » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:33 pm

make this section a functional resume, instead of chronological:

Temporary Sales
- Used Car Sales, Ripoff Company, March 2011- September 2011
- Avon Lady, January 2012-March 2012


Customer Services:
- Call center phone rep, Outsourcing-R-Us, January 2013 - March 2013
- Customer Service, Bankruptcy Collectors, June13 - present

User avatar
Tim0thy222
Posts: 341
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:57 am

Re: Concerned about how my resume will look

Postby Tim0thy222 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:39 pm

Big Dog wrote:make this section a functional resume, instead of chronological:

Temporary Sales
- Used Car Sales, Ripoff Company, March 2011- September 2011
- Avon Lady, January 2012-March 2012


Customer Services:
- Call center phone rep, Outsourcing-R-Us, January 2013 - March 2013
- Customer Service, Bankruptcy Collectors, June13 - present


You think I need to include the months? I'm concerned it will raise eyebrows, because it will show how short the jobs were. Also, I was hoping that just using years would allow me to leave off a couple jobs without having to explain gaps.

User avatar
dietcoke0
Posts: 601
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:46 pm

Re: Concerned about how my resume will look

Postby dietcoke0 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:18 pm

Yeah, shows you were doing something in between school and law school (or that you worked doing school)

But yeah, I have my legal shit first, then my most interesting work, then some filler that shows I was working. Lawyers aren't going to care you didn't work long at a shitty job, and if they had a similar work experience than you, then it's instant fodder for interview convo

"God, you sold cars too to help pay for law school? That was the worse..."

User avatar
Tim0thy222
Posts: 341
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:57 am

Re: Concerned about how my resume will look

Postby Tim0thy222 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:13 pm

dietcoke0 wrote:Yeah, shows you were doing something in between school and law school (or that you worked doing school)

But yeah, I have my legal shit first, then my most interesting work, then some filler that shows I was working. Lawyers aren't going to care you didn't work long at a shitty job, and if they had a similar work experience than you, then it's instant fodder for interview convo

"God, you sold cars too to help pay for law school? That was the worse..."


Actually car sales wasn't the experience I was referring to here, but before UG I did sell cars for about a year. It's actually a pretty fun job in a lot of ways, but brutal when the hammer's coming down for not selling enough.

Also, I imagine career services would help me with this sort of thing, wouldn't they?

User avatar
dietcoke0
Posts: 601
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:46 pm

Re: Concerned about how my resume will look

Postby dietcoke0 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:35 pm

Yeah of course. We had a required resume workshop, then you can give your resume to CSO at any time and they rip it apart and put it back together for you.

Void
Posts: 857
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:56 am

Re: Concerned about how my resume will look

Postby Void » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:20 pm

I echo the notion that nobody will care about what you did before law school. However, as a 3L who is starting to fill out bar exam apps, I recommend that you keep track of all of those random odd jobs and their contact info because in 3 years you'll have to remember every single job you've had.

User avatar
Tim0thy222
Posts: 341
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:57 am

Re: Concerned about how my resume will look

Postby Tim0thy222 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:33 pm

Void wrote:I echo the notion that nobody will care about what you did before law school. However, as a 3L who is starting to fill out bar exam apps, I recommend that you keep track of all of those random odd jobs and their contact info because in 3 years you'll have to remember every single job you've had.


Wait, seriously? I'm 25, I started working at 14, and I've been bouncing around odd jobs ever since. That's going to be a huge list.

Edited to add: thanks for the input by the way. As a 3L I'm sure you have other stuff to do, and this info is a big help.
Last edited by Tim0thy222 on Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse
Posts: 22887
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: Concerned about how my resume will look

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:34 pm

Yes. You'll probably only need to go back to 18. But yes.

User avatar
holdencaulfield
Posts: 478
Joined: Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:12 pm

Re: Concerned about how my resume will look

Postby holdencaulfield » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:51 pm

The type of job is irrelevant, but try to hide the fact that you bounced around so much.

Void
Posts: 857
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:56 am

Re: Concerned about how my resume will look

Postby Void » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:10 am

Tim0thy222 wrote:
Void wrote:I echo the notion that nobody will care about what you did before law school. However, as a 3L who is starting to fill out bar exam apps, I recommend that you keep track of all of those random odd jobs and their contact info because in 3 years you'll have to remember every single job you've had.


Wait, seriously? I'm 25, I started working at 14, and I've been bouncing around odd jobs ever since. That's going to be a huge list.

Edited to add: thanks for the input by the way. As a 3L I'm sure you have other stuff to do, and this info is a big help.


yeah depends on jurisdiction but typically you need your entire job history from age 18 to present or the past 10 years; whichever is shorter.

And thanks for thinking that my time is important. It's not, but I appreciate the sentiment!

envisciguy
Posts: 311
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:15 pm

Re: Concerned about how my resume will look

Postby envisciguy » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:25 pm

UVA's career services will have something within the first month or two where they have drop-in resume review sessions. You can also make appointments with your career services adviser to specifically work on your resume. You'll have plenty of other things to stress about in due time, so don't fret about this now.

Void
Posts: 857
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:56 am

Re: Concerned about how my resume will look

Postby Void » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:37 pm

envisciguy wrote:UVA's career services will have something within the first month or two where they have drop-in resume review sessions. You can also make appointments with your career services adviser to specifically work on your resume. You'll have plenty of other things to stress about in due time, so don't fret about this now.


I agree with this. I have always questioned the TLS conventional wisdom that one thing 0Ls can do before starting law school is to "get your resume together." Employers hiring for 1L summer positions are not expecting to see very much legal experience, and it's not even common for your pre-LS experience to be considered very helpful/applicable/exciting. (Excluding IP, and super-impressive pre-LS resumes).

My point is that you will be in the same boat as everyone else. The vast majority of 1Ls have resumes filled with petty retail and low-end service jobs that nobody really cares about, so you will all be fine.

delusional
Posts: 1190
Joined: Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:57 pm

Re: Concerned about how my resume will look

Postby delusional » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:50 pm

Tim0thy222 wrote:
dietcoke0 wrote:No one going to care about what you did beforehand if it wasn't legal. A good portion of law students are k-jd, and a good portion of the rest don't have any legal experience. Clinics, summers, externships, and other awards will fill your resume soon enough.


Thank you. That's a big relief to hear.

I don't think this is 100% true. I had a small gap after I graduated during which I was only working part time, and one person (out of about 35) noticed and asked about it very purposefully.

Void
Posts: 857
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:56 am

Re: Concerned about how my resume will look

Postby Void » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:31 pm

delusional wrote:
Tim0thy222 wrote:
dietcoke0 wrote:No one going to care about what you did beforehand if it wasn't legal. A good portion of law students are k-jd, and a good portion of the rest don't have any legal experience. Clinics, summers, externships, and other awards will fill your resume soon enough.


Thank you. That's a big relief to hear.

I don't think this is 100% true. I had a small gap after I graduated during which I was only working part time, and one person (out of about 35) noticed and asked about it very purposefully.


So in your case it was only 97.142857% true. Good catch.

kryptix
Posts: 209
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:40 pm

Re: Concerned about how my resume will look

Postby kryptix » Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:32 pm

Void wrote:
Tim0thy222 wrote:
Void wrote:I echo the notion that nobody will care about what you did before law school. However, as a 3L who is starting to fill out bar exam apps, I recommend that you keep track of all of those random odd jobs and their contact info because in 3 years you'll have to remember every single job you've had.


Wait, seriously? I'm 25, I started working at 14, and I've been bouncing around odd jobs ever since. That's going to be a huge list.

Edited to add: thanks for the input by the way. As a 3L I'm sure you have other stuff to do, and this info is a big help.


yeah depends on jurisdiction but typically you need your entire job history from age 18 to present or the past 10 years; whichever is shorter.

And thanks for thinking that my time is important. It's not, but I appreciate the sentiment!


How do they do these checks? I'm slightly worried as my contacts at a lot of my earlier jobs are no longer with those companies, do I just reference them to HR? What if it was a consulting job? Do I reference them to old bosses who have moved on if I keep in contact?

Void
Posts: 857
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:56 am

Re: Concerned about how my resume will look

Postby Void » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:06 pm

kryptix wrote:
Void wrote:
Tim0thy222 wrote:
Void wrote:I echo the notion that nobody will care about what you did before law school. However, as a 3L who is starting to fill out bar exam apps, I recommend that you keep track of all of those random odd jobs and their contact info because in 3 years you'll have to remember every single job you've had.


Wait, seriously? I'm 25, I started working at 14, and I've been bouncing around odd jobs ever since. That's going to be a huge list.

Edited to add: thanks for the input by the way. As a 3L I'm sure you have other stuff to do, and this info is a big help.


yeah depends on jurisdiction but typically you need your entire job history from age 18 to present or the past 10 years; whichever is shorter.

And thanks for thinking that my time is important. It's not, but I appreciate the sentiment!


How do they do these checks? I'm slightly worried as my contacts at a lot of my earlier jobs are no longer with those companies, do I just reference them to HR? What if it was a consulting job? Do I reference them to old bosses who have moved on if I keep in contact?


You're fine as long as you can put them in touch with someone who can verify that you worked for them. On my application it was permissible to put "cannot recall" for names/addresses or whatever. Its not really a huge deal but they'll expect you to put moderate effort in to tracking stuff down

User avatar
SaintsTheMetal
Posts: 429
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:08 am

Re: Concerned about how my resume will look

Postby SaintsTheMetal » Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:27 pm

Random aside, do you need to have contact info for volunteer work you had on your resume? I have absolutely zero clue what the name is of anyone from some of those things that I had on my law school application

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18424
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Concerned about how my resume will look

Postby bk1 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:29 pm

You could do something like this:

2011-2013 - Pre-Law School Jobs
  • Sales Rep
  • Service Rep
  • Mechanic

User avatar
Tim0thy222
Posts: 341
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:57 am

Re: Concerned about how my resume will look

Postby Tim0thy222 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:39 pm

bk1 wrote:You could do something like this:

2011-2013 - Pre-Law School Jobs
  • Sales Rep
  • Service Rep
  • Mechanic


Brilliant. You don't think that'd be too obvious? If not, then that's perfect.

Void
Posts: 857
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:56 am

Re: Concerned about how my resume will look

Postby Void » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:13 pm

SaintsTheMetal wrote:Random aside, do you need to have contact info for volunteer work you had on your resume? I have absolutely zero clue what the name is of anyone from some of those things that I had on my law school application


Depends on jurisdiction. Short answer: yes. Just use google.

If this actually means "i made up some volunteer stuff for my LS app" then you are probably going to have a rough time.

User avatar
SaintsTheMetal
Posts: 429
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:08 am

Re: Concerned about how my resume will look

Postby SaintsTheMetal » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:31 pm

Void wrote:
SaintsTheMetal wrote:Random aside, do you need to have contact info for volunteer work you had on your resume? I have absolutely zero clue what the name is of anyone from some of those things that I had on my law school application


Depends on jurisdiction. Short answer: yes. Just use google.

If this actually means "i made up some volunteer stuff for my LS app" then you are probably going to have a rough time.


na didn't make anything up, but at least one thing I can think of I just did on a couple weekends through a school group. I didn't mis-represent anything but still I'd have zero clue who my "supervisor" was, unless it could be verified by the school contact.. :?

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18424
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Concerned about how my resume will look

Postby bk1 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:54 pm

Tim0thy222 wrote:
Brilliant. You don't think that'd be too obvious? If not, then that's perfect.

I've heard this suggested to me for people with lots of odd jobs. I can't recall who suggested it (I think my CSO?) but I think it's perfectly fine, esp if you have a lot that would otherwise take up a ridic amount of space on a resume.




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests