JD/LLM vs JD/MBA for prospective tax lawyer

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.

Tax Law with business/academia exit options

JD/LLM
60%
JD/MBA
40%

Total votes: 5

jagpaw

JD/LLM vs JD/MBA for prospective tax lawyer

Postby jagpaw » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:58 pm

I'll be starting my 1L at MVP this year, and have a strong interest in pursuing a career in international tax law. I've been flirting with the idea of a JD/MBA for far too long, and understand that this board generally considers it not worth the cost. That being said, the attorneys I've reached out to have stated that, in certain cases, the networking opportunities from the dual degree were invaluable in moving up the partner ladder. It can also may provide career flexibility down the road, especially if I'd like to lateral from a tax counsel position within a corporation to something more business related. My dilemma is that NYU offers a program where you can complete an LLM in seven semesters, irrespective of the school you're at. Spending my last year in NYC would be pretty cool, especially since I grew up and have worked in the town where I'll be starting law school. On the other hand, I have a feeling not many people outside the tax world understand the value of a tax llm from NYU, and I doubt it would be very transferable across other sectors. I would also learn a lot more substantive knowledge in this program, but would lose out on the signalling effect of an MBA if I were to enter the business world. To add another caveat, I'd like to keep my options open to eventually teaching tax law down the road, and from my understanding an LLM would be more valued than an MBA. I'd even venture to guess that an MBA may be looked down upon as its not an 'academic' degree. Costs are obviously a big issue, and an LLM in New York city may have living expenses that offset the benefits of completing the JD/LLM in 3 years vs a 4 year JD/MBA in a college town. I've been struggling with this decision for a while, so any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

patrickd139

Re: JD/LLM vs JD/MBA for prospective tax lawyer

Postby patrickd139 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:06 pm

I noticed that you mentioned the JD/LLM program at NYU. Don't get your hopes up on that one. I think they admitted one (1) person last year who didn't already attend NYU. It's exceptionally difficult to get into, and dozens of people apparently apply. Almost every single person who goes through the program starts out as an NYU law student.

You're absolutely right that Tax LLM decidedly does NOT signal business interest. Unless you want to be a tax attorney, it's a waste of time to get an LLM in tax, even from NYU.

VeeD101

Re: JD/LLM vs JD/MBA for prospective tax lawyer

Postby VeeD101 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:58 pm

PM'd you.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”