delete thx

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
bdm261

delete thx

Postby bdm261 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:06 pm

$
Last edited by bdm261 on Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bronck

Re: 0L: Will quitting a law clerk job hurt me?

Postby Bronck » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:11 pm

Just quit if you hate it that much. Nobody will care.

Postby 09042014 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:14 pm

Stop being a bitch about it. This is a job, not a college course. Life sucks, work sucks more. What you should realize is this what law practice will be for you unless you go to a top school. So either get used to it, or quit and don't go to law school.

Shitlaw gunna shit.

bdm261

$

Postby bdm261 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:20 pm

j
Last edited by bdm261 on Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

eav1277

Postby eav1277 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:28 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Stop being a bitch about it. This is a job, not a college course. Life sucks, work sucks more. What you should realize is this what law practice will be for you unless you go to a top school. So either get used to it, or quit and don't go to law school.

Shitlaw gunna shit.

Shitlaw gunna shit. great quote :lol:

magp90

Postby magp90 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:41 pm

bdm261 wrote:Ok, so will it effect me negatively to resign? That's my main issue is because it's a legal job, worried I can't quit.

There are true shitlaw firms in my city that at least have HR departments to deal with workplace issues and probably give their employees some sort of orientation so they at least know what they're doing and what's expected of them. I was just put in front of a computer and told "work."

I could put up with all the crap if I made at least twice as much, like more than a high school kid makes delivering pizzas. I once worked for an attorney who was even worse, like a grown-up child who had me deal with his personal disputes as part of my job but paid me $20/hr so it was worth it.

Honestly, if you don't like it, just quit. I can't imagine that some clerking job you had before law school is going to have more of an impact on your future career options than your grades, etc.

EDIT: That being said, it is true that a career in a law firm after graduation won't be all roses either... so be prepared for more nonsensical yelling in the future no matter what.

shock259

Postby shock259 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:28 pm

Find something else to pay the bills 'till August then quit.

Sidenote: if you totally hate your job and get paid shit wages, why do you let it stress you out? Relax. You're not a CEO getting paid millions to navigate a large corporation through a tricky market. You're an office bitch for $8/hour. The worst thing that can happen is you'll get fired, which may in fact be a blessing. So don't let your boss stress you.

LaBarrister

Postby LaBarrister » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:58 pm

shock259 wrote:Find something else to pay the bills 'till August then quit.

Sidenote: if you totally hate your job and get paid shit wages, why do you let it stress you out? Relax. You're not a CEO getting paid millions to navigate a large corporation through a tricky market. You're an office bitch for $8/hour. The worst thing that can happen is you'll get fired, which may in fact be a blessing. So don't let your boss stress you.

While he shouldn't get so stressed that he commits suicide, I don't exactly thing numbing himself to his feelings is good for him, either. He is a person that is bothered by his surroundings. If he wanted or was able to just "don't let his boss stress him," he probably wouldn't be on TLS asking for advice.

Although, I must say that his complaints did not add up with his request. He asked about the consequences of quitting/not quitting with respect to his future in the legal field, and then proceeded to justify his quitting, which did not have anything to do with what he requested.

Davidbentley

Postby Davidbentley » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:05 pm

bdm261 wrote:
I feel like they just give me bullshit to do and nothing I do really counts for anything.

This, my friend, is what working for a living is all about. The reason Office Space is so funny is that it's true. That said, no it won't matter in the end. If you can, do some bullshit volunteer work and have your parents pay for everything for a year while you retake.

bdm261

Postby bdm261 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:24 am

%
Last edited by bdm261 on Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Scotchandsoda

Postby Scotchandsoda » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:31 am

bdm261 wrote:Ok, so will it effect me negatively to resign? That's my main issue is because it's a legal job, worried I can't quit.

There are true shitlaw firms in my city that at least have HR departments to deal with workplace issues and probably give their employees some sort of orientation so they at least know what they're doing and what's expected of them. I was just put in front of a computer and told "work."

I could put up with all the crap if I made at least twice as much, like more than a high school kid makes delivering pizzas. I once worked for an attorney who was even worse, like a grown-up child who had me deal with his personal disputes as part of my job but paid me $20/hr so it was worth it.

Why on earth will it hurt you? apparently you're on the lowest rung of the totem pole and you fuck up on the job. I'm sure no one will even notice you're gone. or even remember you for that matter.

Quit. Get a PT gig and save make some bank. Enjoy life before 1L.

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:43 am

I don't see why would expect any other job to be better. Back when I first started working, minimum wage was around $5.00. Now that sucked.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”