Peace Corps v. Engineering Experience

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
LaBarrister

Peace Corps v. Engineering Experience

Postby LaBarrister » Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:38 pm

I know there is a chance that the USPTO will not be hiring chemical/chemical engineering specialty patent examiners when I graduate in 2015. I already have significant volunteer/leadership success for an undergraduate. Would it thus be wise to stay away from the Peace Corps and instead get engineering experience on my résumé?

J90

Re: Peace Corps v. Engineering Experience

Postby J90 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:35 pm

If that's all the Peace Corps meant to you (as a slight boost for the Patent Office, of all things? Really?), you probably wouldn't have lasted the 27 months anyway. It's not something you just do for your resume.

LaBarrister

Postby LaBarrister » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:17 pm

J90 wrote:If that's all the Peace Corps meant to you (as a slight boost for the Patent Office, of all things? Really?), you probably wouldn't have lasted the 27 months anyway. It's not something you just do for your resume.

I isolated a benefit for argument's sake. But thanks for all your help.

J-e-L-L-o

Postby J-e-L-L-o » Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:37 pm

If you are still in undergrad why don't you do both?

Engineering Without Borders. Most engineering schools have chapters.

http://www.ewb-usa.org/about-ewb-usa/our-story

shoobie

Postby shoobie » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:38 pm

Are you married to the idea of working as an Examiner, or do you just think it will be helpful in getting a patent agent position? It definitely will, but I'm living proof that you can get a patent agent position without being an Examiner (and, by background is in chemical engineering as well).

If the choice is really between engineering experience v. peace corps and the end goal is to become an Examiner, then my vote is for engineering experience. I have none and wish I did. It will definitely boost your resume both for the USPTO and later on for patent agent/attorney jobs.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”