USC Fellowships

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
twinkletoes16

USC Fellowships

Postby twinkletoes16 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:12 am

Anyone know anything about these? Seem to be for top incoming students and are paid 1L summer jobs with big entertainment/media/PI companies or big LA law firms. Can't find much info about them though.

js25

Re: USC Fellowships

Postby js25 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:04 pm

Definitely interested in this too.
I emailed the admissions office about this but the Dean of Admissions is not in the office until Monday. If I find out anything worth anything, I'll post on here.

twinkletoes16

Postby twinkletoes16 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:44 pm

js25 wrote:Definitely interested in this too.
I emailed the admissions office about this but the Dean of Admissions is not in the office until Monday. If I find out anything worth anything, I'll post on here.

Fwiw I emailed like a month ago and they never responded.

RELIC

Postby RELIC » Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:45 pm

twinkletoes16 wrote:

FYI. If you have to ask then you didn't get one.

twinkletoes16

Postby twinkletoes16 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:52 pm

RELIC wrote:
twinkletoes16 wrote:

FYI. If you have to ask then you didn't get one.

Yeah I assumed by their lack of response I didn't. Just didn't know if it was with offer of admission or matriculation or what. Still think the whole ordeal could be more transparent.

js25

Postby js25 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:58 pm

Arelikefoxes wrote:
innernetp wrote:
nc871782 wrote:Do you know any of the students that got any of the summer fellowships that the admissions office offers? If so, do you know what type of numbers are needed to be offered one of these positions?

To add to that, what's the process of receiving that like? Thanks!

I actually got one of these last year, and know a number of people who have also got them both last year and this year. It's a really amazing program. While I don't want to share too much (as to avoid explicitly outing myself), here are a few comments:

(1) Other than the Skadden offer (which is part of the Rothman), the offers are not extended until after school starts. I was offered mine sometime in mid-September, and I think all the others that year were around that time. This year, a few were on a similar timeline, while I know at least one person who was offered in mid-November (they were actually from a second round of interviewing...I suppose the first people declined/transferred out). I imagine they do it this way to avoid giving the positions to people who then do not attend, but can still use it as an effective marketing tool.

(2) In general, the students who are awarded these positions are in the 75%+ of LSAT/GPA coming in, but the Adcomms also seem to value relevant work experience. I would bet that awarding the firm positions is going to be based more on LSAT/GPA stats than the public interest/university positions, as the Adcoms will have to do more "selling" to the firms/for profit businesses. They also tend to award the positions to those who make for a good story for the specific roles (eg. public interest experience for Public Council, entertainment experience for Disney, etc.) FWIW, I was 75%+ in LSAT/GPA, and had 3 years work experience that fit well with one of the in-house positions, and was placed with a firm/that in-house position for the summer. Feel free to PM me for more info.

(3) They do take your preferences into consideration, but as I mentioned, I think Dean Reid will place you where she thinks will be the best fit. My feeling in the interviews was that she had an idea of where she wanted to place me before I came in, but she did ask for my opinion as well.

(4) If you think you have a competitive shot at one of these (IE strong numbers and/or WE), there are a few things that I think may help your chances. I would reach out to Dean Reid, and try to get information about the program. Explain that you are very interested in the program, and it contributes to why you are so interested in USC. You can even send her an updated resume, if there is new information you have recently added. Obviously, use your discretion (don't pester), but the goal would be make her aware of who you are, and that you are interested in the program. This might help get you a shot at an interview, if only since she knows about your interest.

Good luck with your cycles/decisions all!

twinkletoes you may have already read this, but I saw this the other day on a 2011 TLS posting. Perhaps outdated, but it's the best thing I've read about it so far. Also, I'm sure you've already seen this but still.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egYnUYxr ... 3B4A56FCEF

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”