Doing the reading after class, rather than before?

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Hutz_and_Goodman

Doing the reading after class, rather than before?

Postby Hutz_and_Goodman » Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:21 pm

The last couple days I was super bogged down with work, and I attended all my classes unprepared. Got called on and wasn't able to answer. However, took good notes and was very focused in class. Then did the reading this afternoon, and it's a totally different experience. I know the broad strokes, and the reading is filling in the details. Does anyone take this approach to classes: attend unprepared, take notes, then do the reading? It sounds like a stupid plan but I may try it a little bit going forward.

CO2016YEAH

Re: Doing the reading after class, rather than before?

Postby CO2016YEAH » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:50 am

Isn't that a little embarrassing? I would think it even to be more so if it wad a routine occurrence.

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:01 pm

CO2016YEAH wrote:Isn't that a little embarrassing? I would think it even to be more so if it wad a routine occurrence.

Not being able to answer a cold call? How is that embarrassing? It happens to me every time and I give no fucks.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:03 pm

CO2016YEAH wrote:Isn't that a little embarrassing? I would think it even to be more so if it wad a routine occurrence.

If you want to be happy in life, you need to let go of your ego and stop worrying what other people think of you.

holmesboy

Postby holmesboy » Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:04 pm

I've been trying this strategy for the last few weeks, so I can't really tell you whether or not it's actually worked for me (haven't taken finals yet). But I at least take a few minutes to skim the material or to read online briefs before class to give myself some idea of what is going on.

I guess it is a little embarrassing sometimes, but I try not to let it bother me too much.

holmesboy

Postby holmesboy » Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:05 pm

Bronck wrote:

Not being able to answer a cold call? How is that embarrassing? It happens to me every time and I give no fucks.

Actually, this. I should've said this instead.

CO2016YEAH

Postby CO2016YEAH » Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:27 pm

holmesboy wrote:
Bronck wrote:

Lol. Well I do usually like to have an answer when a question is posed to the class (I'm still in UG), but it is more based on the desire to contribute to class and improve the overall discussion than it is to satisfy my ego. That said, if I'm without an answer or if I had to decline a cold-call I wouldn't be completely mortified.

However, (and again, I'm a 0L) I was under the impression that law students were expected to have done the reading and that being in a situation where one was unable to answer a cold-call would basically be an indicator to the prof and the class that one wasn't keeping up with his/her studies. I've also heard and read that some professors actively strive to berate or embarrass a student in such a situation. Of course, this again might sound vain and rooted in ego, but I would think developing a reputation as someone who doesn't read and doesn't know the answers to any cold-calls would basically be equal to having a reputation as someone who doesn't work very hard and doesn't know very much. I would suspect such a reputation would not reflect well on one's grades, networking, and career prospects.

Basically, I don't have to be a know-it-all, but I don't want to be known as the dummy that doesn't read and can never answer a question in class either.

holmesboy

Postby holmesboy » Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:38 pm

CO2016YEAH wrote:
holmesboy wrote:
Bronck wrote:

Lol. Well I do usually like to have an answer when a question is posed to the class (I'm still in UG), but it is more based on the desire to contribute to class and improve the overall discussion than it is to satisfy my ego. That said, if I'm without an answer or if I had to decline a cold-call I wouldn't be completely mortified.

However, (and again, I'm a 0L) I was under the impression that law students were expected to have done the reading and that being in a situation where one was unable to answer a cold-call would basically be an indicator to the prof and the class that one wasn't keeping up with his/her studies. I've also heard and read that some professors actively strive to berate or embarrass a student in such a situation. Of course, this again might sound vain and rooted in ego, but I would think developing a reputation as someone who doesn't read and doesn't know the answers to any cold-calls would basically be equal to having a reputation as someone who doesn't work very hard and doesn't know very much. I would suspect such a reputation would not reflect well on one's grades, networking, and career prospects.

Basically, I don't have to be a know-it-all, but I don't want to be known as the dummy that doesn't read and can never answer a question in class either.

Grades: Exams are graded blind.

Networking: Alums and other people outside of class.

Career prospects: Grades.

CO2016YEAH

Postby CO2016YEAH » Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:43 pm

Fair enough. I still think I'll try to do the readings beforehand or, as you say, at least skim so I have an idea of what is going on. :)

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:39 pm

CO2016YEAH wrote:
holmesboy wrote:
Bronck wrote:

Nobody but gunners care about the discussion in class. I ignore what other students have to say. If it's important, the professor will repeat it in a better way.

Prepare for exams, not cold calls. I never have any idea WTF the professor is talking about when s/he calls on me. I agree, you should do the reading (well, at least do canned briefs), but that doesn't mean you have to care about cold calls.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”