Question About Kinds of Jobs Out of LS

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
sf_39

Question About Kinds of Jobs Out of LS

Postby sf_39 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:05 am

Hi everyone,

I apologize if I'm posting a common question, I tried to search the forum but couldn't see an answer to this.

As a 0L I'm just genuinely curious, what kind of jobs do LS grads tend to get (assuming it required a JD or bar passage)? I'm attending a T2 so if that helps people answer my question and am not interested in Biglaw and that's all I see people talk about so curious what else people land in. Not asking for salary numbers.

If this has been asked a lot before, sorry and could you just link me to a helpful thread.

Cheers

guano

Re: Question About Kinds of Jobs Out of LS

Postby guano » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:10 am

from a T2? half your class will get unemployment

l0g0s

Postby l0g0s » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:47 am

What do you want to do? Why are you going to law school?

Statistically speaking, most students will not end up working as lawyers. A few will be joining their dad's law firms. If you network and work like crazy during school you might get a relatively sweet gig at the DA or Public Defender's office (but there are only a handful of these jobs and lots of competition). You can go to a small town, hang a shingle and do whatever walks through the door (writing wills, taking care of people's traffic tickets, incorporating their businesses, simple divorces, etc), this will be difficult without any ties and contacts though. Some might go to a small firm in a larger area that specializes in one or a few of those things, while paying you practically nothing and with little hope of advancing. Or you can hang a shingle and try to scrape by a living doing DUI and criminal defense. If you have any debt, most of these options leave you completely screwed. If you have no debt, they may only leave you mildly screwed.

But again, most won't find work as a lawyer.

sf_39

Postby sf_39 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:00 am

l0g0s wrote:What do you want to do? Why are you going to law school?

Statistically speaking, most students will not end up working as lawyers. A few will be joining their dad's law firms. If you network and work like crazy during school you might get a relatively sweet gig at the DA or Public Defender's office (but there are only a handful of these jobs and lots of competition). You can go to a small town, hang a shingle and do whatever walks through the door (writing wills, taking care of people's traffic tickets, incorporating their businesses, simple divorces, etc), this will be difficult without any ties and contacts though. Some might go to a small firm in a larger area that specializes in one or a few of those things, while paying you practically nothing and with little hope of advancing. Or you can hang a shingle and try to scrape by a living doing DUI and criminal defense. If you have any debt, most of these options leave you completely screwed. If you have no debt, they may only leave you mildly screwed.

But again, most won't find work as a lawyer.

Thanks for the reply, I guess in a ranking the things that made me interested in law and/or I feel law school can help me in would be:

1. Labor/employment law
2. Contract law
3. Negotiations
4. Legal research

mephistopheles

Postby mephistopheles » Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:28 am

guano wrote:from a T2? half your class will get unemployment if they're lucky

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:44 pm

http://www.nalp.org/classof2011

Click on National Summary Chart for the Class of 2011.

Biglaw is such a focus because 1) it's an extremely large category of jobs, 2) they are the few jobs that you can get to pay back your massive debt in such a short timeframe, 3) they essentially have a monopoly on legal training in select practice areas with sophisticated clients, complex issues, and a lot of money flowing about.

From a T2 you'll probably have three types of "lawyer jobs" that are a reasonable option.

1) District Attorney/Public Defender- Criminal law. If you are a PD, you'll be dealing with mostly indigent clients. They work is very stressful but you learn a lot about trial work very quickly. Pay is usually 40-50K.

2) Small firm work- You'll be working for firms of 10-20 attorneys or less. These guys usually take whatever walks in the door and may not have a specialty. So you may be called upon to do routine trusts and estates work, or personal injury cases, or small business incorporations. Not going to see a case you worked on wind up on the front page of the state law journal. Some specialize in practices areas like divorce/family, employment, personal injury, certain administrative hearings, etc. Again, usually 40-50K. The best bet here is to hook up with someone who runs a top-tier practice in whatever area you're interested in. So if you want to be an immigration lawyer, there are probably several immigration lawyers in each metro area who are the go to people for that kind of work.

3) State court clerkship. Usually for a trial judge. Can be a great way to network and learn a lot about broad areas of the law, but it only lasts a year.

sf_39

Postby sf_39 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:12 pm

timbs4339 wrote:http://www.nalp.org/classof2011

Click on National Summary Chart for the Class of 2011.

Biglaw is such a focus because 1) it's an extremely large category of jobs, 2) they are the few jobs that you can get to pay back your massive debt in such a short timeframe, 3) they essentially have a monopoly on legal training in select practice areas with sophisticated clients, complex issues, and a lot of money flowing about.

From a T2 you'll probably have three types of "lawyer jobs" that are a reasonable option.

1) District Attorney/Public Defender- Criminal law. If you are a PD, you'll be dealing with mostly indigent clients. They work is very stressful but you learn a lot about trial work very quickly. Pay is usually 40-50K.

2) Small firm work- You'll be working for firms of 10-20 attorneys or less. These guys usually take whatever walks in the door and may not have a specialty. So you may be called upon to do routine trusts and estates work, or personal injury cases, or small business incorporations. Not going to see a case you worked on wind up on the front page of the state law journal. Some specialize in practices areas like divorce/family, employment, personal injury, certain administrative hearings, etc. Again, usually 40-50K. The best bet here is to hook up with someone who runs a top-tier practice in whatever area you're interested in. So if you want to be an immigration lawyer, there are probably several immigration lawyers in each metro area who are the go to people for that kind of work.

3) State court clerkship. Usually for a trial judge. Can be a great way to network and learn a lot about broad areas of the law, but it only lasts a year.

Thanks timbs appreciate the help.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”