Question for Duke student re: special treatment for Mordecai

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
callipygian

Question for Duke student re: special treatment for Mordecai

Postby callipygian » Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:53 pm

I recently spoke with a Duke Law alum who graduated about 10 years ago who did not enjoy the experience.

One specific critique was that Mordecai scholars are treated like "chosen" students once they got to campus (beyond the $). He felt that they got preferential treatment when it came to Journal membership, Moot Court, and OCI.

Any current Duke students get this sense too?

The scholarship aspect aside, an institutionalized uneven playing ground would bother me.

bk1

Re: Question for Duke student re: special treatment for Mordecai

Postby bk1 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:13 pm

You could look up all the selection info on Duke's website but here it is anyways:

Maybe DLJ memership selection was different 10 years ago, but today that is not the case.

Again, I'm skeptical of that claim for OCI as well since it is a pure lottery system.

And I see no evidence that they get help for moot court (I'm assuming this is the right moot court for Duke). All in all, I doubt there is any preference for Mordecai scholars for any of these. I've heard people claim that at some schools the faculty/administration go out of their way to assist people who have full tuition or named scholarships but I have not seen any evidence of that at my school (NU).

ManOfTheMinute

Postby ManOfTheMinute » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:25 pm

maybe the people who got the Mordecai scholarships are just more likely to do well and get into all those things/get on peoples good sides?

callipygian

Postby callipygian » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:30 pm

Yes, I've read about the selection process for these groups, and have read about the Mordecai scholarships, so I was a little surprised to hear about that bias.

Is a list of Mordecai recipients published? Are recipients well known amongst students / faculty?

callipygian

Postby callipygian » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:37 pm

ManOfTheMinute wrote:maybe the people who got the Mordecai scholarships are just more likely to do well and get into all those things/get on peoples good sides?

Certainly possible, and this was admittedly a subjective, n=1 critique. But he felt the Mordecai label led to greater (and not entirely deserved) faculty/administration support.

Hutz_and_Goodman

Postby Hutz_and_Goodman » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:48 pm

Very likely. They literally are chosen, the school has a vested in their succeeding, and they are more likely to succeed. There is no even playing field in any law school. Some people are paying $150k, others are paying zero or being paid, and everything in between.

AllTheLawz

Postby AllTheLawz » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:54 pm

Hutz_and_Goodman wrote:Very likely. They literally are chosen, the school has a vested in their succeeding, and they are more likely to succeed. There is no even playing field in any law school. Some people are paying $150k, others are paying zero or being paid, and everything in between.

I specifically asked about "special treatment" for named scholarships at multiple schools (including Duke's Mordecai and and Michigan's Darrow) and all stated that there was no special treatment. They had no reason at all to lie to me since the special treatment would actually have increased the chance that I enrolled. At most schools named scholarship winners are pretty much anonymous once they are enrolled. Im sure there are exceptions but off the top of my head the only one I know of is UVA's top scholarship.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”