A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
NapoleonXV

Postby NapoleonXV » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:09 am

Last edited by NapoleonXV on Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:36 am, edited 2 times in total.

NapoleonXV

Re: 170, Retake or not? Advice needed

Postby NapoleonXV » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:10 am

Ohhh and thanks for all your reply! Any reply is much appreciated!

loomstate

Postby loomstate » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:39 am

if you apply early with a good app and some softs I'm thinking that you have a chance at S and maybe even Y.

If you retake and score over a 173 you'll definitely be in at at least 1 of HYS. If you're applying next cycle why don't you just retake?

and WTF is a magic circle law firm vacation?

NapoleonXV

Postby NapoleonXV » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:55 am

loomstate wrote:if you apply early with a good app and some softs I'm thinking that you have a chance at S and maybe even Y.

If you retake and score over a 173 you'll definitely be in at at least 1 of HYS. If you're applying next cycle why don't you just retake?

Thanks a lot for your reply!

By 'apply early', do you think I should retake in June or in October? I was thinking about retaking in October, so it would give me more time to prepare again, but if June retake would give me a boost in chances, I would happily do that.

Magic circle refers to the five top UK law firms: Clifford Chance, Linklaters, Freshfields, Allen & Overy, Slaughter & May. And a vacation scheme is basically a summer internship. So I have some chance of working in a magic circle firm after graduating from Oxford, but still I really like law education in US, so I deserve a chance in HYS, I would definitely try hard for it!

NapoleonXV

Postby NapoleonXV » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:00 am

loomstate wrote:if you apply early with a good app and some softs I'm thinking that you have a chance at S and maybe even Y.

And what would qualify as a good 'soft' may I ask?

I take some society leadership roles, started up a charity website with friends, am starting up a big forum in oxford, had internships with the largest weekly newspaper in china and top law firms in UK? Is that near 'acceptable' soft? I am not presuming it would be, but I truly have no idea!

northwood

Postby northwood » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:06 am

retake in june, send out applications in September. Use the summer to fine tune your personal statements.

Where do you want to practice law? If its in the USA, you should go to a US law school. If its in the UK, then you should go to a UK school.

I personally believe that work expereince is extremely valuable. If you can get some insight from Magic Circle, then I would strongly do that. One question, if you do magic circle can they hire you as an apprentice, and after a certain period tme you would be eligible to sit for the bar/ If so, then do that and save your money. If you can't, then go to whatever school you can get a full scholarship plus living expenses.

NapoleonXV

Postby NapoleonXV » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:22 am

northwood wrote:retake in june, send out applications in September. Use the summer to fine tune your personal statements.

Where do you want to practice law? If its in the USA, you should go to a US law school. If its in the UK, then you should go to a UK school.

I personally believe that work expereince is extremely valuable. If you can get some insight from Magic Circle, then I would strongly do that. One question, if you do magic circle can they hire you as an apprentice, and after a certain period tme you would be eligible to sit for the bar/ If so, then do that and save your money. If you can't, then go to whatever school you can get a full scholarship plus living expenses.

I am a Chinese so I do not have a decisive preference over whether to practice law in US or UK. I am quite open between the two options. But I sort of like US law school.

I think I will have a decent chance of getting a training contract in a magic circle. Though I will still need to study two years of Graduate Law Diploma and Legal Practice Course (paid for though) and two years of trainee before qualifying as an associate, which will even take more time than a JD! So even economic wise, going to law school in US might be better than staying in UK.

Thanks again for the encouraging reply! I was just so so depressed last night about my score and thought I would not deserve any chance in HYSCCN.

izy223

Postby izy223 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:38 am

NapoleonXV wrote:
northwood wrote:retake in june, send out applications in September. Use the summer to fine tune your personal statements.

I am a Chinese so I do not have a decisive preference over whether to practice law in US or UK. I am quite open between the two options. But I sort of like US law school.

I think I will have a decent chance of getting a training contract in a magic circle. Though I will still need to study two years of Graduate Law Diploma and Legal Practice Course (paid for though) and two years of trainee before qualifying as an associate, which will even take more time than a JD! So even economic wise, going to law school in US might be better than staying in UK.

Thanks again for the encouraging reply! I was just so so depressed last night about my score and thought I would not deserve any chance in HYSCCN.

if law school is free in in UK go for it because without a US citizenship you will not be eligible for fed laws. A friend of mine who is foreign is stuck working a job while in 1L year in order tp pay for law school because he cant get the full thing in loans.

But if you dont need loans, retake

NapoleonXV

Postby NapoleonXV » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:49 am

izy223 wrote:
NapoleonXV wrote:

if law school is free in in UK go for it because without a US citizenship you will not be eligible for fed laws. A friend of mine who is foreign is stuck working a job while in 1L year in order tp pay for law school because he cant get the full thing in loans.

But if you dont need loans, retake

I could do without loans, so consensus seems to be I should retake in June? cool.

I will appear in June preparation thread soon!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”