UChicago 1L Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
jsjd1989

Re: UChicago 1L Taking Questions

Postby jsjd1989 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:07 am

Second the thanks! I have two questions regarding housing.

1. Does anyone live in the graduate university-owned apartments? Some of them look pretty decent/are reasonably priced.
2. Do most people have roommates? I was thinking after being two years out of school that I am ready for a studio, but if everyone lives in regents with roommates, maybe I will consider it. If that's the case, how do people usually find roommates?

Postby 2014 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:16 pm

jsjd1989 wrote:Second the thanks! I have two questions regarding housing.

1. Does anyone live in the graduate university-owned apartments? Some of them look pretty decent/are reasonably priced.
2. Do most people have roommates? I was thinking after being two years out of school that I am ready for a studio, but if everyone lives in regents with roommates, maybe I will consider it. If that's the case, how do people usually find roommates?

The answer to all of this is depends. I know some people live in grad housing and the price is really low if you are going to live alone but the building quality and amenities will obviously be lower.

More people have roommates than don't, at least more of the social people have roommates, but it is almost entirely a function of cost I think. Having one saves you several hundreds bucks a month. I think many if not most of us would live alone if we could afford it, although there are a lot of times I'm glad to have a roommate since living alone can feel isolating.

People find roommates at ASW and Facebook, moreso on Facebook. A few people live with non-law students too, mostly through knowing other people in Chicago so it's not like you should feel confined to living with another 1L (though it is easier to find 1Ls looking and evaluate compatibility)

TexasAggie13 wrote:Thanks again for doing this! I know you probably get this a lot and I'm sorry for asking it again, but how big of an issue is crime in the area? I realize its a huge city and crime will always be present to some extent, but do you feel as though it's particularly bad in the area? Have you ever had any issues?

I know of one person who had his car window broken in on the street, other than that there have been zero incidents to my knowledge. Hyde Park is actually relatively safe, it is the surrounding areas that aren't. If you have any common sense you will be fine, just don't go walking alone at 3 am, don't wave your iPhone around wildly, etc

lgcylwyr

Postby lgcylwyr » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:49 pm

jingyuan wrote:Hi, I have a few questions. I am not sure if there are others who have already asked, but I am really curious about them.

The first question is: Are the curricullums tight? Do you often stay late at night studying materials and doing assignments?

The second question is: Do you live in-campus or outside? What's the advantage and disadvantage living in-side or outside?

The third question is that, are there any students union or groups that for Law student to join in?

Thank you in advance! I look forward hearing from you!

I'm not sure what you mean by tight, but I'm assuming you mean whether they suck up a lot of time? I don't spend time past 6:30 usually doing reading. I have found that if I just work hard during the day (in between or before classes), I can get all of the reading done comfortably.

I live in Hyde Park (so not on campus). There are grad dorms that you can live in right down the street from the law school. They're not very nice but they are extremely close which is really convenient for getting to class, etc. They are also really cheap (from what I understand).

There are tons of student groups to join if you are so inclined (Fed Soc, ACS, Republicans, Democrats, BLSA, APALSA, ACLU, etc.) If you want this you can definitely have it. I don't think it makes sense to divert a ton of time to this sort of thing but I'm pretty selfish with my time. I will say these groups are great for meeting older students and thus, networking.

lgcylwyr

Postby lgcylwyr » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:52 pm

TexasAggie13 wrote:Thanks again for doing this! I know you probably get this a lot and I'm sorry for asking it again, but how big of an issue is crime in the area? I realize its a huge city and crime will always be present to some extent, but do you feel as though it's particularly bad in the area? Have you ever had any issues?

Crime is an issue in Hyde Park, although I don't know any students who have been mugged or who have had personal items stolen. I would say that for the most part, as long as you're not wandering around the bad parts of Hyde Park at night, you'll be fine. That being said, I saw a car down the street from the law school with its tires completely removed and the body being propped up by bricks. This was something that occurred in the middle of the day. Overall, I would say that Hyde Park is not a great neighborhood, but that you shouldn't worry about your safety going to law school here.

lgcylwyr

Postby lgcylwyr » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:55 pm

jsjd1989 wrote:Second the thanks! I have two questions regarding housing.

Yes. A decent number of 1Ls and LLMs live in the grad apartments. I think they vary in terms of how nice they are (I haven't visited any of them but I have friends who have).

Most people I know have roommates (or significant others). I think it's pretty normal and can save you some cash. I'm not sure about finding a roommate other than ASW or contacting the admissions office for help. I will try to ask around to see what other people in my class did. I met my roommate at ASW.

jingyuan

Postby jingyuan » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:17 am

lgcylwyr wrote:
jingyuan wrote:Hi, I have a few questions. I am not sure if there are others who have already asked, but I am really curious about them.

The first question is: Are the curricullums tight? Do you often stay late at night studying materials and doing assignments?

The second question is: Do you live in-campus or outside? What's the advantage and disadvantage living in-side or outside?

The third question is that, are there any students union or groups that for Law student to join in?

Thank you in advance! I look forward hearing from you!

I'm not sure what you mean by tight, but I'm assuming you mean whether they suck up a lot of time? I don't spend time past 6:30 usually doing reading. I have found that if I just work hard during the day (in between or before classes), I can get all of the reading done comfortably.

I live in Hyde Park (so not on campus). There are grad dorms that you can live in right down the street from the law school. They're not very nice but they are extremely close which is really convenient for getting to class, etc. They are also really cheap (from what I understand).

There are tons of student groups to join if you are so inclined (Fed Soc, ACS, Republicans, Democrats, BLSA, APALSA, ACLU, etc.) If you want this you can definitely have it. I don't think it makes sense to divert a ton of time to this sort of thing but I'm pretty selfish with my time. I will say these groups are great for meeting older students and thus, networking.

Thankyou! :mrgreen:

courtneylove

Postby courtneylove » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:24 pm

jsjd1989 wrote: 1. Does anyone live in the graduate university-owned apartments? Some of them look pretty decent/are reasonably priced.

I live in one of the big university-owned apartment buildings on 51st street. Mine is really cheap, and it's safe and well-maintained. We have elevators, nice views, pretty good heating. I like it, I'm glad in the end I didn't spring for Regent's. My super is really nice and responsible. The only downside is that a lot of families live in the building; noise from kids isn't a problem, but quite often some parent will be using all the washing machines, etc. I'm also cautious about playing loud music because I know there are kids on my floor. If you want to message me I'm happy to answer any questions you have about the buildings.

I don't have a roommate but I live with my boyfriend; I know a few people live here with roommates and the apartments are definitely big enough to do so. I did that all through college though and like to study in my apartment, so I decided against it for law school.

Living in Hyde Park makes me nervous, I'm never comfortable walking around here at night, even with friends. I had an incident once last year where I felt so threatened on the 6 bus I rode a few stops past my own where there was a doorman building I could run into right at the stop. If I'm out late in HP I always take the UChi night buses, which go right to my door. There's a very imbalanced mix of people on the street here, especially at night and when the weather warms up. Don't get me wrong, though, I feel comfortable walking around during the day, especially in the afternoons when there are kids swarming all over from the schools nearby.

lgcylwyr

Postby lgcylwyr » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:58 pm

Grades (are supposed to) come out tomorrow! Fingers crossed. Although, from what I have heard from 2Ls and 3Ls, they never come on time so I probably shouldn't be so nervous/excited/terrified.

lgcylwyr

Postby lgcylwyr » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:10 pm

I want to let anyone who cares/is following this thread that I will be posting a review/guide to several of the exam strategies I have used during 1L at some point this year. As I said, above, we should be getting grades for Winter quarter soon, but I'm debating waiting till the end of Spring quarter to post this just because I want to be completely sure about what I recommend (what worked and what didn't work). Will let you know what I decide!

Yardbird

Postby Yardbird » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:37 pm

I'm making a calculator to help calculate COA with tuition/COL increases but I need some data to help the project (viewtopic.php?f=2&t=208464). The data specifically needs to come from current students who can look at their budget for the past 1-3 years. I would like to know the average rent, utilities, food, cable/internet for the following schools. If you can help out, please fill out this form. Thanks!

Link to Form (LinkRemoved)

firstimer

Postby firstimer » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:39 pm

What are some of the worst things about Chicago? Heard the teachers are really good - is that true?

lgcylwyr

Postby lgcylwyr » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:39 pm

firstimer wrote:What are some of the worst things about Chicago? Heard the teachers are really good - is that true?

I think the bad aspects of Chicago could also be seen as strengths. For example, the quarter system is a double edged sword. Fall quarter is extremely laid back because you only have 2 exams covering 20 weeks (combined) of material. Winter you have 2 exams over 40 weeks of combined material. Spring you have 4 exams covering 60 weeks of material. Its great in the sense that you have a chance to get adjusted to taking exams, reading, etc. but it is absolute hell in Spring quarter (at least that is what it feels like right now). You also have substantially more significant and complicated writing in Spring quarter (a brief + oral argument) than in Winter and Fall. As a 1L, there is a lot of pressure to perform at the end of the year and I think it could be considered one of the "worst" things.

Another terrible aspect of Chicago is the weather. If you are from CA or AZ another really warm part of the country, adjusting to 4-5 months of absolutely terrible weather per year (the heart of the academic year) is difficult. Seasonal affective disorder is real and sometimes I just wish I could have a little more sun (and less grey clouds).

The teachers are, in general, very good. Every student is idiosyncratic and will like certain professors and dislike others, but in general I would say people enjoy the instruction being given. Professors are in general open to answer questions/help you out, outside of class which is nice.

lgcylwyr

Postby lgcylwyr » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:40 pm

Also, received Winter quarter grades the other day and am pretty happy with my performance :) , but still deciding when I will post my guide/review of study habits/test taking skills. Spring quarter is hitting hard right now.

firstimer

Postby firstimer » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:45 pm

lgcylwyr wrote:
firstimer wrote:What are some of the worst things about Chicago? Heard the teachers are really good - is that true?

I think the bad aspects of Chicago could also be seen as strengths. For example, the quarter system is a double edged sword. Fall quarter is extremely laid back because you only have 2 exams covering 20 weeks (combined) of material. Winter you have 2 exams over 40 weeks of combined material. Spring you have 4 exams covering 60 weeks of material. Its great in the sense that you have a chance to get adjusted to taking exams, reading, etc. but it is absolute hell in Spring quarter (at least that is what it feels like right now). You also have substantially more significant and complicated writing in Spring quarter (a brief + oral argument) than in Winter and Fall. As a 1L, there is a lot of pressure to perform at the end of the year and I think it could be considered one of the "worst" things.

Another terrible aspect of Chicago is the weather. If you are from CA or AZ another really warm part of the country, adjusting to 4-5 months of absolutely terrible weather per year (the heart of the academic year) is difficult. Seasonal affective disorder is real and sometimes I just wish I could have a little more sun (and less grey clouds).

The teachers are, in general, very good. Every student is idiosyncratic and will like certain professors and dislike others, but in general I would say people enjoy the instruction being given. Professors are in general open to answer questions/help you out, outside of class which is nice.

Thanks so much! I appreciate the answer. Had two other questions: do you find time to hang out with other graduate students? And is the law student body super-academic, or are there a lot of regular, social people who like to have fun as well?

lgcylwyr

Postby lgcylwyr » Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:22 pm

Thanks so much! I appreciate the answer. Had two other questions: do you find time to hang out with other graduate students? And is the law student body super-academic, or are there a lot of regular, social people who like to have fun as well?

I'll be honest, I have not hung out with other grad students much but it's not because I haven't had time or opportunity. I know lots of people who have made friends with students at Booth/Harris/Med school. I have met some really nice undergrads who have defied the stereotypes. So to answer your questions, there is definitely time and opportunity. Intramural sports are a great way to do this.

The law student body is pretty academic but that doesn't mean there are not a great group of people who have fun. I think that you get what you want out of this school. If you want to study 24/7 and only hang out with people who do that, you can find that here. But you can also find plenty of people who have a normal work-life balance.

lgcylwyr

Postby lgcylwyr » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:43 pm

Spring brief is due next week, feeling slightly crazy but still here if you guys have questions.

lgcylwyr

Postby lgcylwyr » Mon May 06, 2013 10:20 am

Done with the brief! Feeling good!

jsjd1989

Postby jsjd1989 » Mon May 06, 2013 10:35 am

lgcylwyr wrote:Done with the brief! Feeling good!

congrats!!!! Can you explain a little more about these brief assignments... I think the thing that scares me about law school the most is the writing. I've been out of school for a while so haven't written essays in so long!

lgcylwyr

Postby lgcylwyr » Tue May 07, 2013 6:28 pm

jsjd1989 wrote:
lgcylwyr wrote:Done with the brief! Feeling good!

congrats!!!! Can you explain a little more about these brief assignments... I think the thing that scares me about law school the most is the writing. I've been out of school for a while so haven't written essays in so long!

No big deal. There is no reason you should be familiar with briefs or memos. At Chicago, you write three times as a 1L (once each quarter). There are really detailed ways of explaining what a memo and brief are, but I would say, simply, that both require you to analyze a legal question in depth. The big difference between the two is that a memo is supposed to be more "objective" in that you present good arguments on both sides while a brief is supposed to be a tight argument in favor of one position. In fall quarter, you write a "closed memo" (meaning that all of the sources from which you should base your analysis are given to you and you don't go beyond those sources), in winter an "open memo" (you can use any sources you want), and then in the spring you write an appellate-style brief. The brief this year was sort of brutal because we only had three weeks (I have heard from upper-year students that it used to be a much longer period).

I wouldn't worry about knowing the specifics of what a brief or memo is until you get to law school though. It's something that will be quickly explained in legal writing. HTH.

lgcylwyr

Postby lgcylwyr » Tue May 14, 2013 12:23 pm

Spring quarter exams start in must under 2 weeks! So excited to be done with 1L but also feeling terrified.

onionz

Postby onionz » Wed May 15, 2013 10:49 am

Having this thread and this(viewtopic.php?f=4&t=140165) thread is confusing...

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Wed May 15, 2013 8:37 pm

onionz wrote:Having this thread and this(viewtopic.php?f=4&t=140165) thread is confusing...

A certain 1L is a special snowflake who needed his/her own thread.

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Thu May 16, 2013 3:48 am

Emma. wrote:
onionz wrote:Having this thread and this(http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 4&t=140165) thread is confusing...

It's also bumped with live-blog updates and promises of a study guide that has never materialized. This is the best thread.

JollyGreenGiant

Postby JollyGreenGiant » Thu May 16, 2013 7:12 pm

Mal Reynolds wrote:
Emma. wrote:
onionz wrote:Having this thread and this(viewtopic.php?f=4&t=140165) thread is confusing...

It's also bumped with live-blog updates

:lol:

Xifeng

Postby Xifeng » Thu May 16, 2013 7:14 pm

JollyGreenGiant wrote:
Mal Reynolds wrote:
Emma. wrote:

It's also bumped with live-blog updates

:lol:

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”