UChicago 1L Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
lgcylwyr

New

UChicago 1L Taking Questions

Post by lgcylwyr » Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:51 pm

Almost done with the second quarter of 1L here at UChicago. I'm available for questions if anyone has any.

WhiteyCakes

Silver

Re: UChicago 1L Taking Questions

Post by WhiteyCakes » Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:59 pm

lgcylwyr wrote:Almost done with the second quarter of 1L here at UChicago. I'm available for questions if anyone has any.
What are you doing this summer? On the admitted students site, it states that $5,000 in summer funding is guaranteed for PI work for 1L and 2L summers, is that really the case?

ETA: Thanks for doing this.
Last edited by WhiteyCakes on Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lgcylwyr

New

Post by lgcylwyr » Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:02 pm

I'm doing PI work and yes it is true about the funding. All you have to do is make sure to apply for the funding by the deadlines and my understanding is that it's pretty much guaranteed.

WhiteyCakes

Silver

Post by WhiteyCakes » Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:16 pm

What's the quarter system like? Assuming that you had a traditional semester schedule for your undergrad, was difficult to adjust to the quarter system?

lgcylwyr

New

Post by lgcylwyr » Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:24 pm

I did have a traditional semester system for undergrad so I think I can give some idea of the switch over. In general, I think quarters are more difficult than semesters. Exam periods are very stressful and having to do three sets of exams is certainly trying as a 1L. People always argue in favor of the quarter system by saying it's the same amount of weeks (10/10/10 vs 15/15) but you still have an extra set of exams. I don't care who you are, you can't enjoy having extra exams.

I do think UChicago does a decent job easing you into it. Only 2 exams the first quarter, 2 the second, and then 4 in the Spring (which I have heard is terrible, I'll let you know when I'm through it). Fall quarter exams were not bad. Plenty of time to study for them and all that. This quarter's exams should be more difficult (testing 20 weeks of material rather than 10).

On the whole, I cant say I love the quarter system, but you do get used to it. Also, a positive is having 2 week breaks in between quarters which I like.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cslouisck

Bronze

Post by cslouisck » Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:40 pm

How would you describe the other students? My friend in another grad programs at UChicago says it's only the undergrads who are insular and miserable, but I haven't seen much comment on the law students.

lgcylwyr

New

Post by lgcylwyr » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:15 pm

The students are not bad at all. I second the sentiment about the undergrads - but there are lots of normal ones too. Most people work very hard here, but I haven't met anyone who is cut throat or unfriendly. Definitely a few awkward folks, but what place doesn't have a few people like that.

robot_socrates

New

Post by robot_socrates » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:33 pm

Chicago is known for their law and econ program. To what extent does economics play a role in typical 1L classes?

Emma.

Gold

Post by Emma. » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:56 pm

Why you 1Ls gotta be so separatist?

(See http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 4&t=140165)

:P

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

banjo

Silver

Post by banjo » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:50 pm

People on TLS make a big deal about graded vs ungraded LRW. How bad is it?

lgcylwyr

New

Post by lgcylwyr » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:39 pm

robot_socrates wrote:Chicago is known for their law and econ program. To what extent does economics play a role in typical 1L classes?
Well I think it underlies a good deal of the 1L classes. You sort of start to pick up the language after a while. But at the same time it's not like you need to know anything going in. Most of it is common sense stuff and you start to see applications in every area of law. I actually think it is a positive side the law school.

lgcylwyr

New

Post by lgcylwyr » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:41 pm

banjo wrote:People on TLS make a big deal about graded vs ungraded LRW. How bad is it?
I don't really know what to say about this. I think grading sucks because everyone works insanely hard. I can only hypothesize that having ungraded LRW would have been better. So I guess I agree with the common sentiment? We still have to write a brief for spring quarter, so maybe I'll have a better opinion then.

WhiteyCakes

Silver

Post by WhiteyCakes » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:43 pm

Where do you live? Do you have a car? How's the public transportation?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

lgcylwyr

New

Post by lgcylwyr » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:49 pm

WhiteyCakes wrote:Where do you live? Do you have a car? How's the public transportation?
Regents, with a ton of other students. Public transportation to the campus is extremely easy (172). Getting downtown is also relatively easy (6 bus, or metra). The only time it gets sketchy is when there is a really bad storm (my understanding) and that hasn't really happened yet.

I don't have a car. I didn't want to pay for parking (175/mo at Regents I think) and didn't want to play the street parking game, which can suck. I have friends who do that and some days you get lucky and some days you don't. Also there are parking tickets to watch out for, 2'' snow bans (where you can get towed), and parking around the law school is hard unless you get there early.

robot_socrates

New

Post by robot_socrates » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:56 pm

lgcylwyr wrote:
robot_socrates wrote:Chicago is known for their law and econ program. To what extent does economics play a role in typical 1L classes?
Well I think it underlies a good deal of the 1L classes. You sort of start to pick up the language after a while. But at the same time it's not like you need to know anything going in. Most of it is common sense stuff and you start to see applications in every area of law. I actually think it is a positive side the law school.
Thank you!

lgcylwyr

New

Post by lgcylwyr » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:57 pm

robot_socrates wrote:
lgcylwyr wrote:
Thank you!
NP.

Good Marshall

New

Post by Good Marshall » Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:18 pm

lgcylwyr wrote:Almost done with the second quarter of 1L here at UChicago. I'm available for questions if anyone has any.
Chicago drops the bottom portion of its class. When is the first cut? Are students constantly worried about this? How has it affected you?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

AspiringAcademic

Bronze

Post by AspiringAcademic » Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:07 pm

Good Marshall wrote: Chicago drops the bottom portion of its class. When is the first cut? Are students constantly worried about this? How has it affected you?
Pretty sure this isn't a thing. Sure you're asking about the right school?

Good Marshall

New

Post by Good Marshall » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:27 pm

AspiringAcademic wrote:
Good Marshall wrote: Chicago drops the bottom portion of its class. When is the first cut? Are students constantly worried about this? How has it affected you?
Pretty sure this isn't a thing. Sure you're asking about the right school?
I am not. I think I put out bad info. I checked their website again and I believe I must have misconstrued the following paragraph:

A grade of 160 or above is required for credit in a course. A student who fails a class will be contacted by the Dean of Students. A student who receives two failing final grades in any one academic year or three failing final grades during his or her period of residence at the Law School will not have maintained satisfactory academic standing. Additionally, students must attain a minimum cumulative GPA of 168 at the conclusion of each academic year to maintain satisfactory academic standing. Maintenance of satisfactory academic standing is a prerequisite to continuing study in the Law School as well as to graduating from the Law School.

It appears that you are correct: It is not a thing. I withdraw my previous question.

lgcylwyr

New

Post by lgcylwyr » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:57 pm

Sorry I dropped off the face of the earth the last week or so - just finished Winter quarter and needed to get some R&R.

Rahviveh

Gold

Post by Rahviveh » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:02 am

Any tips for staying within budget in HP, besides the obvious cooking, roommates, etc.?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

lgcylwyr

New

Post by lgcylwyr » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:54 am

ChampagnePapi wrote:Any tips for staying within budget in HP, besides the obvious cooking, roommates, etc.?
Sorry for taking so long to respond.

Well I don't know if I'll be giving obvious advice here, but don't live in Regents. You can save a couple thousand a year or more by living in one of the neighboring apt complexes or somewhere else in Hyde Park. You can also save money by avoiding the use of cabs (use DDs or structure your evening to use public transportation).

Another way to save money is by not buying books. I'm sure most will caution against this, but I have purchased very few books. You can scan the pages you need to read in the library or just check out a copy for a few hours before class. This could save you hundreds/thousands depending on how dedicated you are.

jingyuan

New

Post by jingyuan » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:32 pm

Hi, I have a few questions. I am not sure if there are others who have already asked, but I am really curious about them.

The first question is: Are the curricullums tight? Do you often stay late at night studying materials and doing assignments?

The second question is: Do you live in-campus or outside? What's the advantage and disadvantage living in-side or outside?

The third question is that, are there any students union or groups that for Law student to join in?

Thank you in advance! I look forward hearing from you!

Mad Hatter

Silver

Post by Mad Hatter » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:42 am

jingyuan wrote:Are the curricullums tight?
:lol: :lol: :lol: wtf is this.

TexasAggie13

Bronze

Post by TexasAggie13 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:17 am

Thanks again for doing this! I know you probably get this a lot and I'm sorry for asking it again, but how big of an issue is crime in the area? I realize its a huge city and crime will always be present to some extent, but do you feel as though it's particularly bad in the area? Have you ever had any issues?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”