BARBRI Lectures/Materials for 1L? Is it worth it?

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
mh013

BARBRI Lectures/Materials for 1L? Is it worth it?

Postby mh013 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:44 pm

So I have been reading about these BARBRI lectures and outlines and such, and I was wondering if the $50 is worth it. If I buy hornbooks and E&Es and go to lecture/read the casebook should that be enough? Does BARBRI add any new information or is its purpose simply repetition/clarification? Thanks for the input.

Lacepiece23

Re: BARBRI Lectures/Materials for 1L? Is it worth it?

Postby Lacepiece23 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:34 am

mh013 wrote:So I have been reading about these BARBRI lectures and outlines and such, and I was wondering if the $50 is worth it. If I buy hornbooks and E&Es and go to lecture/read the casebook should that be enough? Does BARBRI add any new information or is its purpose simply repetition/clarification? Thanks for the input.

I would buy it simply for the richard freer lectures they're gold. Also, if your a 0L I know i catch some flack for saying this, but I think that its helpful to even listen to them before school starts because civ pro is such a foreign topic, and his take on things is pretty uniform amongst civ pro teachers.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:37 am

Wait until you get to school and almost guaranteed you'll have about fifteen chances to buy it for $25.

The CivPro lectures are really good. Contracts is terrible. The others are somewhere in between.

mh013

Postby mh013 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:03 pm

I would buy it simply for the richard freer lectures they're gold. Also, if your a 0L I know i catch some flack for saying this, but I think that its helpful to even listen to them before school starts because civ pro is such a foreign topic, and his take on things is pretty uniform amongst civ pro teachers.

Thanks for the advice, I'm going to go ahead an get access, sounds like a good deal.

Any thoughts on Sum and Substance audio? Or would that just be overkill?

GertrudePerkins

Postby GertrudePerkins » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:21 pm

This is just one more example of BarBri's fear-based (or at least risk-aversion-based) marketing. I found the materials worthless. In my law school experience, professors are testing you on the material they taught you, so focus on the materials they gave you.

mh013

Postby mh013 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:13 pm

This is just one more example of BarBri's fear-based (or at least risk-aversion-based) marketing. I found the materials worthless. In my law school experience, professors are testing you on the material they taught you, so focus on the materials they gave you.

I don't really care about the bar prep aspect at all. I was just wondering if the lectures/outlines seemed worth it.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”