Taking notes on a Mac Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
JayJones78

Gold

Re: Taking notes on a Mac

Post by JayJones78 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:23 am

99.9luft wrote:
JayJones78 wrote: You're right. Maybe a 13" MBA is better. That's what I have no. But the 11" is so cute :)
I do have an iPad now that I use 99.99 cause my MBA is almost dead and my 2005 MPB re-unibody all metal) lost its logic board :(
The MBA is almost dead cause in 2010 I spilled a 16oz cup of coffee on it... I'm surprised its still alive.
shit, the coffee damage is the worst! i am sorry...yeah pretty tough to restore so many parts inside it.

The new MBAs are great machines. I would say, wait until this summer if you will get a 13'' one. The MBPs are getting a Haswell processor upgrade (this June, rumored), so hope the MBAs get priced down a little bit. They are also talking about putting retina on all apple machines.

FWIW, i am also thinking about getting a $200 23" external monitor for home - smth you may wanna do if you go with the 13" option. I can't believe that Apple cinema displays cost so much, it's just obscene.
Apple Cinema Display (hahah iPad just capitalized it :lol: ) are so expensive for no good reason for the home user.
I have been using my old 15" MPB as a desktop before it died so I have everything. Just need a new display. Was thinking of buying a Mac mini and a MBA but I don't see the value anymore.

99.9luft

Silver

Post by 99.9luft » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:26 am

JayJones78 wrote:
99.9luft wrote:
JayJones78 wrote: You're right. Maybe a 13" MBA is better. That's what I have no. But the 11" is so cute :)
I do have an iPad now that I use 99.99 cause my MBA is almost dead and my 2005 MPB re-unibody all metal) lost its logic board :(
The MBA is almost dead cause in 2010 I spilled a 16oz cup of coffee on it... I'm surprised its still alive.
shit, the coffee damage is the worst! i am sorry...yeah pretty tough to restore so many parts inside it.

The new MBAs are great machines. I would say, wait until this summer if you will get a 13'' one. The MBPs are getting a Haswell processor upgrade (this June, rumored), so hope the MBAs get priced down a little bit. They are also talking about putting retina on all apple machines.

FWIW, i am also thinking about getting a $200 23" external monitor for home - smth you may wanna do if you go with the 13" option. I can't believe that Apple cinema displays cost so much, it's just obscene.
Apple Cinema Display (hahah iPad just capitalized it :lol: ) are so expensive for no good reason for the home user.
I have been using my old 15" MPB as a desktop before it died so I have everything. Just need a new display. Was thinking of buying a Mac mini and a MBA but I don't see the value anymore.
yeah i would get the iMac before i get the mac mini.
P.S. hilarious that your iPad capitalized it :lol:

JayJones78

Gold

Post by JayJones78 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:29 am

99.9luft wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:
99.9luft wrote:

yeah i would get the iMac before i get the mac mini.
P.S. hilarious that your iPad capitalized it :lol:
I'll most likely do a MBA. I just hope it can handle parallels as I really want to use onenote

J-e-L-L-o

Bronze

Post by J-e-L-L-o » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:29 am

JayJones78 wrote: Another debate is a MPB or an 11" MBA and a display/keyboard/mouse hookup at home to use as a desktop when not at school. I have a MBA since 2008 and loved it. (It's almost dead now :cry: )
Get the 13in MBP if you need hard drive space. It will last you longer in theory since you can replace components. I have a logitech mini usb receiver in mine so it doubles as the link to my logitech wireless keyboard and wireless mouse. I have a 2010 MBP so I have a USB slot left over to use for printers or what not. Then later on I can replace the battery (I need to do that soon I think) and add a 400GB SSD drive next year...laptop should last another 3 years easy.

Or just buy a Mini to hook up at home. Way more efficient. Wait till after you graduate to get a new laptop.

If you don't need a lot of storage, spring for the new 13in MBA. 11in is too small if you ask me.

JayJones78

Gold

Post by JayJones78 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:35 am

J-e-L-L-o wrote:
JayJones78 wrote: Another debate is a MPB or an 11" MBA and a display/keyboard/mouse hookup at home to use as a desktop when not at school. I have a MBA since 2008 and loved it. (It's almost dead now :cry: )
Get the 13in MBP if you need hard drive space. It will last you longer in theory since you can replace components. I have a logitech mini usb receiver in mine so it doubles as the link to my logitech wireless keyboard and wireless mouse. I have a 2010 MBP so I have a USB slot left over to use for printers or what not. Then later on I can replace the battery (I need to do that soon I think) and add a 400GB SSD drive next year...laptop should last another 3 years easy.

Or just buy a Mini to hook up at home. Way more efficient. Wait till after you graduate to get a new laptop.

If you don't need a lot of storage, spring for the new 13in MBA. 11in is too small if you ask me.
I have no desire for a lot of space. And I can always get an external drive. I'v had an air for so long I don't really want to go back to a pro if I don't have to

Edit: at this point I have to get a new laptop. Mine are dead and I can't imagine using the iPad for more serious stuff than TLS online shit and video

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bluecouch

Bronze

Post by bluecouch » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:40 am

JayJones78 wrote:
I'll most likely do a MBA. I just hope it can handle parallels as I really want to use onenote
I'd pony up the extra $100 for the additional 4GB of RAM with a MBA. Parallels ran a lot more smoothly for me after I upgraded my MBP from 4GB to 8GB. :)

JayJones78

Gold

Post by JayJones78 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:42 am

bluecouch wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:
I'd pony up the extra $100 for the additional 4GB of RAM with a MBA. Parallels ran a lot more smoothly for me after I upgraded my MBP from 4GB to 8GB. :)
That's the biggest downside of the air. You can't do anything yourself like add memory and stuff.

J-e-L-L-o

Bronze

Post by J-e-L-L-o » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:44 am

bluecouch wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:
and get the i7 chip. Go big or go home. That will be one sweet laptop.

JayJones78

Gold

Post by JayJones78 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:46 am

J-e-L-L-o wrote:
bluecouch wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:
and get the i7 chip. Go big or go home. That will be one sweet laptop.
Thank goodness for those loans.... 8)
( :roll: )

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

99.9luft

Silver

Post by 99.9luft » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:46 am

nowadays, with Apple stuff you really have to upgrade to the max, since they don't allow much customization...the RAM is soldered to the motherboard, you can't change the HD after the purchase...(at least on MBP, not sure about Airs)...it's pretty bullshit if you ask me.

So i'll be getting 16gigs of RAM likely and 512gb SSD (most of my stuff's in the cloud anyway, just getting space for better speed/read/write time)

JayJones78

Gold

Post by JayJones78 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:59 am

99.9luft wrote:nowadays, with Apple stuff you really have to upgrade to the max, since they don't allow much customization...the RAM is soldered to the motherboard, you can't change the HD after the purchase...(at least on MBP, not sure about Airs)...it's pretty bullshit if you ask me.

So i'll be getting 16gigs of RAM likely and 512gb SSD (most of my stuff's in the cloud anyway, just getting space for better speed/read/write time)
True... I'm going to wait until the very last min before buying a new lapto though. For now I'm okay with the iPad. It does a good job for things that are not school/work related.

cookiejar1

Silver

Post by cookiejar1 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:20 am

99.9luft wrote:

Thanks for this. Was thinking about getting a new MBP now but maybe I'll hold off until after the summer.

JayJones78

Gold

Post by JayJones78 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:04 pm

cookiejar1 wrote:
99.9luft wrote:

Thanks for this. Was thinking about getting a new MBP now but maybe I'll hold off until after the summer.
With any apple purchase I always wait until the very last moment of actually needing the decide.
Also I really recommend their 'deals' section on store.apple.com
Sometimes they have really good deals on refurb

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”