Taking notes on a Mac

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
JayJones78

Taking notes on a Mac

Postby JayJones78 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:13 pm

Any current students can help with this? Or has anyone talked to current students on different ASDs and ASWs on what they use to take notes when using a Mac?
I really wish that (with all my dislike to) MS's OneNote would be available on Mac

rinkrat19

Re: Taking notes on a Mac

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:14 pm

Either boot Windows on your mac, use Circus Ponies, or settle for Word.

mephistopheles

Postby mephistopheles » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:15 pm

omnioutliner works.

although, i'm not one of those fancy outliners. circus ponies is probably better for that.

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:17 pm

I've used Omnioutliner in the past. Now I just use Word. Easier to turn my notes into outlines that way, but YMMV.

JayJones78

Postby JayJones78 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:18 pm

patrickd139 wrote:I've used Omnioutliner in the past. Now I just use Word. Easier to turn my notes into outlines that way, but YMMV.

Anyone using pages? I hate word with a passion

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:33 pm

JayJones78 wrote:
patrickd139 wrote:I've used Omnioutliner in the past. Now I just use Word. Easier to turn my notes into outlines that way, but YMMV.

I feel the same about pages as you do Word.

JayJones78

Postby JayJones78 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:44 pm

patrickd139 wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:

I feel the same about pages as you do Word.

:D
I don't like supporting MS products on my Mac hahaha
But I will if I have to. OneNote would prob be the only reason I'd ever put windows on my computer.

cookiejar1

Postby cookiejar1 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:16 am

I would probably hate Word if it wasn't for the colossal shit stack that is Microsoft Excel for Mac. As a result I revere Microsoft Word as a godsend... simply because it actually works.

kuttlefish

Postby kuttlefish » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:55 pm

I always use openoffice / neooffice for my generic office suite. It's not the prettiest program, but it works and can open just about any file, and it's free.

Omni outliner is a well designed program with tons of features, I've just never bothered to learn how to be a "power user." You could also check out evernote or remember the milk. This is the first I've heard of Circus Ponies, but they all seem similar with slightly different workflows.

Honestly, I just like using text wrangler for most quick notes and just use the tab button to keep everything organized. Most of the time speed+ease > features. Plus text files are compatible with just about anything and can be easily merged into other systems.

nonprofit-prophet

Postby nonprofit-prophet » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:56 pm

I use Evernote and skitch

bluecouch

Postby bluecouch » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:15 pm

Boot camp Windows or Parallels/VMWare to use OneNote. I have a MacBook Pro but have been living in Parallels to use OneNote for my dissertation lately. It's a great solution, and I plan to keep using OneNote in LS next year.

99.9luft

Postby 99.9luft » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:23 pm

bluecouch wrote:Boot camp Windows or Parallels/VMWare to use OneNote. I have a MacBook Pro but have been living in Parallels to use OneNote for my dissertation lately. It's a great solution, and I plan to keep using OneNote in LS next year.

Good to know. Parallels 8 recently came out so it's good to know.

BTW, is OneNote much better than Circus Ponies? I got CP but never tried/seen OneNote. What are the advantages?
thanks!

J-e-L-L-o

Postby J-e-L-L-o » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:25 pm

VirtualBox is a free open source alternative to Parallels and VMWare. Works just as good and is free.

Install windows and you can get whatever program you want. I use it on my macbook pro computer and have 2 partitions: one for windows and one for linux. Works fine

https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Screenshots

99.9luft

Postby 99.9luft » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:31 pm

J-e-L-L-o wrote:VirtualBox is a free open source alternative to Parallels and VMWare. Works just as good and is free.

Install windows and you can get whatever program you want. I use it on my macbook pro computer and have 2 partitions: one for windows and one for linux. Works fine

https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Screenshots

good suggestion. this is esp. good for older 32-bit macbooks that can't run Parallels 8.

JayJones78

Postby JayJones78 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:10 pm

99.9luft wrote:
bluecouch wrote:Boot camp Windows or Parallels/VMWare to use OneNote. I have a MacBook Pro but have been living in Parallels to use OneNote for my dissertation lately. It's a great solution, and I plan to keep using OneNote in LS next year.

BTW, is OneNote much better than Circus Ponies? I got CP but never tried/seen OneNote. What are the advantages?
thanks!

I have heard onenote is incredible. Prob the only good thing about ms office

J-e-L-L-o

Postby J-e-L-L-o » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:42 pm

try the trial for both and see for yourself. Just dont take reviews into account. I hate going back and forth to virtual machines though...for instance not always its easy to copy and paste against the 2 operating systems.

JayJones78

Postby JayJones78 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:59 pm

J-e-L-L-o wrote:try the trial for both and see for yourself. Just dont take reviews into account. I hate going back and forth to virtual machines though...for instance not always its easy to copy and paste against the 2 operating systems.

Will do. Thanks!!

bluecouch

Postby bluecouch » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:13 pm

99.9luft wrote:

thanks!

I used CP for a while, but it started getting buggy on me. I kept losing notes. Maybe that was just my problem.

There are a few things about OneNote that are pretty much awesome though when compared with CP, though. The search functions are great -- you can search on the page or across notebooks. I also use the inline equation editor a lot in OneNote. It's pretty intuitive, especially if you are used to working in with something like LaTex. I also really like using SkyDrive to backup my notebooks, as well as using the OneNote web app when I am not on my MacBook. Finally, I just like the interface a lot better. It's a lot cleaner, and you can see the organization of your notebook much more easily than with CP.

I stumbled across this thread a while back and thought it was pretty useful: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=127496

HTH!

JayJones78

Postby JayJones78 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:35 pm

bluecouch wrote:
99.9luft wrote:

thanks!

I used CP for a while, but it started getting buggy on me. I kept losing notes. Maybe that was just my problem.

There are a few things about OneNote that are pretty much awesome though when compared with CP, though. The search functions are great -- you can search on the page or across notebooks. I also use the inline equation editor a lot in OneNote. It's pretty intuitive, especially if you are used to working in with something like LaTex. I also really like using SkyDrive to backup my notebooks, as well as using the OneNote web app when I am not on my MacBook. Finally, I just like the interface a lot better. It's a lot cleaner, and you can see the organization of your notebook much more easily than with CP.

I stumbled across this thread a while back and thought it was pretty useful: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=127496

HTH!

Incredible link!! Thanks

99.9luft

Postby 99.9luft » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:36 pm

bluecouch wrote:
99.9luft wrote:

thanks!

HTH!

Thanks a lot, you were really helpful. I think i'm gonna end up going with OneNote via Parallels 8 when i get a new MBP this summer.

JayJones78

Postby JayJones78 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:45 pm

99.9luft wrote:
bluecouch wrote:
99.9luft wrote:

thanks!

HTH!

Thanks a lot, you were really helpful. I think i'm gonna end up going with OneNote via Parallels 8 when i get a new MBP this summer.

Another debate is a MPB or an 11" MBA and a display/keyboard/mouse hookup at home to use as a desktop when not at school. I have a MBA since 2008 and loved it. (It's almost dead now :cry: )

$peppercorn

Postby $peppercorn » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:55 pm

Just to get all you former Onenote users with a mac excited, check out: http://outline.ws/mac. It is slowly coming out, with a read only version first, but then a full version sometime after. I am hoping that it will be out before the fall semester.

edit: and the iPad version already out shows that this should live up to the hype once the full version hits OSX

99.9luft

Postby 99.9luft » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:57 pm

JayJones78 wrote:Another debate is a MPB or an 11" MBA and a display/keyboard/mouse hookup at home to use as a desktop when not at school. I have a MBA since 2008 and loved it. (It's almost dead now :cry: )

Agree about the external monitor point. However, don't know about you, but i can't do "11... too tiny for my hands and even my 13" hurts my eyes if looking at it for a long time (writing a paper, etc.)

Now, imagine those days when you need to have your laptop in the library - are you really going to be ok looking at an 11" laptop for hours?

My set up will be having a 15 inch MBP as a home computer, and taking the 13" 2006 macbook to school for daily lecture notes/light studying. I figure you need a stable, new computer on which you will install examsoft to take the finals and which won't give you neck pain/eye strain.

Another thing is that I don't want my brand new MBP to be scratched/jacked at school.

just my 2 cents...

ETA: Why is your current MBA almost dead? what is the issue? i extended my 2006 macbook's life by several more years recently...it is a beast. let me know why you think it's almost dead.

JayJones78

Postby JayJones78 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:11 am

99.9luft wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:Another debate is a MPB or an 11" MBA and a display/keyboard/mouse hookup at home to use as a desktop when not at school. I have a MBA since 2008 and loved it. (It's almost dead now :cry: )

Agree about the external monitor point. However, don't know about you, but i can't do "11... too tiny for my hands and even my 13" hurts my eyes if looking at it for a long time (writing a paper, etc.)

Now, imagine those days when you need to have your laptop in the library - are you really going to be ok looking at an 11" laptop for hours?

My set up will be having a 15 inch MBP as a home computer, and taking the 13" 2006 macbook to school for daily lecture notes/light studying. I figure you need a stable, new computer on which you will install examsoft to take the finals and which won't give you neck pain/eye strain.

Another thing is that I don't want my brand new MBP to be scratched/jacked at school.

just my 2 cents...

ETA: Why is your current MBA almost dead? what is the issue? i extended my 2006 macbook's life by several more years recently...it is a beast. let me know why you think it's almost dead.

You're right. Maybe a 13" MBA is better. That's what I have no. But the 11" is so cute :)
I do have an iPad now that I use 99.99 cause my MBA is almost dead and my 2005 MPB re-unibody all metal) lost its logic board :(
The MBA is almost dead cause in 2010 I spilled a 16oz cup of coffee on it... I'm surprised its still alive.

99.9luft

Postby 99.9luft » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:18 am

JayJones78 wrote:You're right. Maybe a 13" MBA is better. That's what I have no. But the 11" is so cute :)
I do have an iPad now that I use 99.99 cause my MBA is almost dead and my 2005 MPB re-unibody all metal) lost its logic board :(
The MBA is almost dead cause in 2010 I spilled a 16oz cup of coffee on it... I'm surprised its still alive.

shit, the coffee damage is the worst! i am sorry...yeah pretty tough to restore so many parts inside it.

The new MBAs are great machines. I would say, wait until this summer if you will get a 13'' one. The MBPs are getting a Haswell processor upgrade (this June, rumored), so hope the MBAs get priced down a little bit. They are also talking about putting retina on all apple machines.

FWIW, i am also thinking about getting a $200 23" external monitor for home - smth you may wanna do if you go with the 13" option. I can't believe that Apple cinema displays cost so much, it's just obscene.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”