medical addendum questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
barberiolisa

New

medical addendum questions

Post by barberiolisa » Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:58 pm

Concerning the character and fitness part of a law school application

1). I've never been convicted of a felony, misdemeanor, dui, never had academic sanctions or academic disciplinary actions or had any mental health issue

I, do however have had health concerns in undergrad that I want to address in a medical addendum. Will this give law school admissions access to my medical records, etc. On character and fitness is it more, felonies, convictions, dui, disciplinary actions, academic sanctions and mental illness OR do you have to divulge your medical history too?

peeonyou

New

Re: medical addendum questions

Post by peeonyou » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:37 pm

barberiolisa wrote:Concerning the character and fitness part of a law school application

1). I've never been convicted of a felony, misdemeanor, dui, never had academic sanctions or academic disciplinary actions or had any mental health issue

I, do however have had health concerns in undergrad that I want to address in a medical addendum. Will this give law school admissions access to my medical records, etc. On character and fitness is it more, felonies, convictions, dui, disciplinary actions, academic sanctions and mental illness OR do you have to divulge your medical history too?
always go off the text of what it says, but you generally don't need to disclose medical history. you may have to before you start school because if you have ebola and then half the school dies, the school doesn't want to be liable.

USMCMatt

Bronze

Re: medical addendum questions

Post by USMCMatt » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:38 pm

barberiolisa wrote:Concerning the character and fitness part of a law school application

Quite honestly...the law school doesnt really care about your mental health issues...the character and fitness screening is more like a pre-screen for admission to the bar. schools dont want to admit law students that arent going to be qualified to sit for the bar or be admitted to the bar....it looks bad. if you had some serious mental defect that could cause you to hurt people, you would need to disclose that. any medical condition that would not endanger the health and well-being of other students or faculty need not be disclosed. in fact, it may not be requested at all.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”