What LSAT score is attainable given this long study regimine

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
LoriDevault

What LSAT score is attainable given this long study regimine

Postby LoriDevault » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:55 pm

Suppose you pick up a book 10 years old containing an old LSAT exam, and you havent been exposed to logic and the types of questions on the LSAT. You take your first diagnostic and you are devastated with your 141 score. Then you get discouraged when you read other posts on forums on here, where people mention they start out in the 130s and 140s, and they get remarks from others, "How you could possibly score that low, were you drunk"? 141 is very, very low, no doubt about it. However, the LSAT is your only hope and you really want to practice law. Given that you want to apply to some decent schools and your gpa is below their medians, you need a high score to offset the gpa.

Is it possible, if you start out with a 141, and you have 9 months until the December exam, and you arent in school now, you are working, but have an extra 30-40 hours per week to spare, and you study religiously 30-40 hours a week for 9 months (with occasional breaks) do blueprint, testmasters, do every practice exam, get a tutor that in 9 months of 40 hours a week doing all the above, that you can go from a 141 to a 169 or a 170.

I know there are many people that say only less than 5 percent can score a 170, but I truly cant think that many people would study 30-40 hours a week over 9 months, because in my case, I have to make this my life, If I want a chance in getting into a good school.

Would you say I have at least a 10 percent chance of a 165-169 OR 170?

dr123

Re: What LSAT score is attainable given this long study regimine

Postby dr123 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:57 pm

Dude, really?

l0g0s

Postby l0g0s » Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:02 pm

dr123 wrote:Dude, really?

Do not study 40 hours a week for 9 months. You will burn out, and I don't think there's even enough material to study that much.

Follow the guides here, or one of the study plans on lsatblog.blogspot.com, if you are of average intelligence you can get a 170 with much less work than that.

Postby 09042014 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:05 pm

Diagnostics don't mean a lot bro. If you want to know a reasonable guess at your upper limit. Sit down and do a full test without timing. Take a reasonable amount of time, just don't rush at all. If you are still scoring around 140, don't expect a whole lot of improvement.

The LSAT isn't really that studiable, it definitely helps, and with how much small changes means in your application it is really necessary.

But a "diagnostic" is terrible judge of your skills.

Daily_Double

Postby Daily_Double » Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:29 pm

Anything is possible.

GertrudePerkins

Postby GertrudePerkins » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:17 pm

This may be a discouraging and/or controversial thing to say, but from my experience as a tutor of the LSAT and other tests, some people basically hit a ceiling that they'll never get past. I couldn't tell you how much is attributable to nature and how much to nurture, but some people just don't have the mental horsepower to hit 170 (or 175 or 180), regardless of the time they spend studying.

Now, I'm not saying you don't have the mental horsepower. You may very well have, and you certainly shouldn't let your first bad LSAT score convince you that can't get up to where you need to be. I wound up scoring more than 25 points higher on my official test than I did on my first full, timed practice test. So great improvements are possible, especially near the beginning of a studying regimen. But I think there's a finite amount most people can improve, and for some people that amount is simply not enough to get them to a good score in absolute terms.

dr123

Postby dr123 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:47 pm

Daily_Double wrote:Anything is possible.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wcz_kDCBTBk

gnomgnomuch

Postby gnomgnomuch » Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:33 pm

Yes, it is possible. 9 months though, IS WAY TOO MUCH TIME. People spend 3-4 (5, 6 is prob the MOST) months on average studying for the LSAT. Also what you said about never being exposed to these type of games, once you get familiar with certain types of games, that alone will boost your score. If you want to significantly raise your score from a 141 to a 170, than id def recommend Pithypike's complete lsat guide. Its gold, it outlines all the books you need, what you need to study and etc. Also you can use LSAT blog, and buy the day to day guides. Another thing, if you purchase the books (go with bibles), and you start going over them and are completely lost on the basics, THAN you go and use an LSAT prep company, plenty of people (especially on TLS) start off in the 140's/150's and using self study only, skyrocket into the 170's. Dont get discouraged with a low diagnostic, theres plenty of time to improve.

What i would do, to get an accurate representation of your LSAT ability, would be to take the test without any timers.. just take every section as it goes and than see how you fare, with more time i think your score would be somewhere in the 150's. Once you get that score, analyze your weakness... where did you go wrong? LG, LR, RC? Once you see where youre worst at, than you can decide where to spent the most time. To perfect the LSAT, first you need to know how to answer each type of question without time constraints, once you do that, THAN you aim for speed.

Best of luck!

PickMe!

Postby PickMe! » Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:45 pm

I agree with the comments above. Nine months of constant lsat prep is unnecessary and damn near impossible, I think. Talk about fried brain cells. :shock:

shock259

Postby shock259 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:05 pm

Most people hit a ceiling, but there's no way to know what your ceiling will be until you study. Hard. It's probably safe to say that your ceiling is not 140, though.

I have a plan for you:

1) Spend next 3 months figuring out if you want to go to law school. Talk to LOTS of attorneys of all ages, research the realities of the legal market, etc. If you do decide you want to put effort into going to law school, go to part 2.

2) Study for 6 months. Study hard. Follow the TLS study plans. Do tons of practice tests. Learn from your mistakes. Etc. Take the test after the 6 months has passed. If you do well enough to be competitive at a good-enough school for you (based on your previous research), then consider applying. If not, don't.

FloridaCoastalorbust

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:21 pm

My analysis of this stupendous plan leaves you in the 120-180 range.

alex.feuerman

Postby alex.feuerman » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:13 pm

[quote="LoriDevault"], because in my case, I have to make this my life, If I want a chance in getting into a good school.

quote]

You just answered your own pointless question. Yes you can achieve a 170.

Unless you're stupid. In which case you can't, ever.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”