Do I have any hope with this gpa and LSAT

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
vickiherman

Do I have any hope with this gpa and LSAT

Postby vickiherman » Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:11 pm

Alright, where to begin. When I graduated high school, I wanted at first to pursue nursing. Like most rigorous programs, before you can begin the sophomore sequence you have to apply and have a certain gpa and science gpa. I retook the sciences over and over, and after 3 years I changed my major and decided 2 years ago on law school. I have studied hard ever since I began college, however, I have horrible test anxiety, and I have gotten over it a couple semesters ago. I wish I knew then that I wanted to practice law or I would've withdrawn from those pre-nursing courses. My gpa at my school is 3.2, however, when LSAC gets done, my LSAC gpa will be 2.25. Awful I know.

I have studied for 13 months for the LSAT and am now scoring in the 167-169 range. I plan on taking the June test.

Lets suppose, I take the LSAT in June and score 169 and then take my 2.25 gpa. Given the fact that applicants are down 20 percent, and that I will address my test anxiety, and also I have a 2 semester 4.0 trend. Would I have even a morsel of a chance of getting into a school 49 or better?

My goal is to eventually work in NY, and would love to transfer, but am not getting my hopes up it can work out, but if I would get into a 49 or above school and by chance I place 10-20 percent, I could still possibly move up and I would make sure the school is one I would be happy graduating from not expecting to transfer.

Has anyone with a 2.25/169 broken the Top 50? I read on Law School numbers someone with a 160-165 LSAT and a 2.2 got into a 55 school, but I havent seen any others. Would appreciate any thoughts and feedback. In the back of my mind, I cant think even if I apply to 25-50 (and safety schools) that although schools with a 160 median might like the 169 score, they wouldnt accept a 2.2 and have their GPA mark decrease. Any thoughts?

teachmehowtoraji

Re: Do I have any hope with this gpa and LSAT

Postby teachmehowtoraji » Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:28 pm

Write a sincere but thorough addendum, break 170, you'll have a shot.

Systematic1

Postby Systematic1 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:37 pm

vickiherman wrote:Any thoughts?

Divert the energy you are expending worrying about this now to studying for the LSAT, and then come back and ask this question when you have a real score.

Ramius

Postby Ramius » Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:43 pm

Systematic1 wrote:
vickiherman wrote:Any thoughts?

Divert the energy you are expending worrying about this now to studying for the LSAT, and then come back and ask this question when you have a real score.

And do it in the "What are my chances?" forum where it belongs.

markymark0819

Postby markymark0819 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:53 am

Don't let people get you down.

2.5 GPA, 161 LSAT -- based on what everyone told me, I carpet bombed the 50-100 rankings. I didn't get rejected anywhere. I'm deciding between FSU, my reach with little to no hope of getting in, and Tulane, my other reach with little to no hope of getting in, with a scholarship.

You won't get a full ride and they'll express concern about your ability to thrive, but with a good resume, some soft skills, low application numbers, and a great personal statement, you have more than "any hope"

I got waitlisted to MD, Wake, Arizona, Tennessee, Temple and got accepted everywhere else... FSU, Cincy, Tulane, Seton Hall... half scholarships to a bunch of places... South Carolina... LSU.... Stetson...

15k per year at Tulane, waiting on FSU possibly getting a scholarship there too.

You can do it. Top 50 with your LSAT scores is MORE THAN REASONABLE in this economy with so few applications going out.

Hell, I got a fee waiver to every single one of my schools except FSU (didn't ask) and Wash U in ST Louis asked me to apply for free so I did and it's my last pending app... you're fine.

crestor

Postby crestor » Sat May 18, 2013 7:47 pm

markymark0819 wrote:Don't let people get you down.

2.5 GPA, 161 LSAT -- based on what everyone told me, I carpet bombed the 50-100 rankings. I didn't get rejected anywhere. I'm deciding between FSU, my reach with little to no hope of getting in, and Tulane, my other reach with little to no hope of getting in, with a scholarship.

You won't get a full ride and they'll express concern about your ability to thrive, but with a good resume, some soft skills, low application numbers, and a great personal statement, you have more than "any hope"

I got waitlisted to MD, Wake, Arizona, Tennessee, Temple and got accepted everywhere else... FSU, Cincy, Tulane, Seton Hall... half scholarships to a bunch of places... South Carolina... LSU.... Stetson...

15k per year at Tulane, waiting on FSU possibly getting a scholarship there too.

You can do it. Top 50 with your LSAT scores is MORE THAN REASONABLE in this economy with so few applications going out.

Hell, I got a fee waiver to every single one of my schools except FSU (didn't ask) and Wash U in ST Louis asked me to apply for free so I did and it's my last pending app... you're fine.

http://www.top-law-schools.com/florida- ... chool.html. "The median LSAT score for the 2012 entering class was 160, and the median GPA was 3.53."

Congratulations on getting into FSU with your stats but would you say that law schools significantly lowering their standards to the level you described is going to continue into the foreseeable future? Thanks

californiauser

Postby californiauser » Sat May 18, 2013 9:36 pm

I'm not sure that an addendum will really benefit you in any way. Was your anxiety diagnosed by a doctor? Plenty of people get nervous for exams...that doesn't seem like something that is a real extenuating circumstance.

Crush the LSAT, aim for a 170+, get some work experience, and apply to Northwestern -- maybe you'll have a shot.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/aroquentin

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”