GWU 2/3Ls: Hows every1 doing at OCI?

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
radar714

GWU 2/3Ls: Hows every1 doing at OCI?

Postby radar714 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:15 pm

What are your impressions of how you and your fellow classmates been fairing at OCI? Not just biglaw but PI as well. Typically what does your GPA/ranking have to be to have decent options?

LST's numbers seem a little skewed so I'd like to hear some impressions from current students.

manofjustice

Re: GWU 2/3Ls: Hows every1 doing at OCI?

Postby manofjustice » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:11 pm

Transparency! (You mean you didn't want to ask the admissions office??)

KidStuddi

Postby KidStuddi » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:28 pm

If you give me something more objective than "decent options" and I'll try and respond with the perspective of a GW 2L.

radar714

Postby radar714 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:01 pm

KidStuddi wrote:If you give me something more objective than "decent options" and I'll try and respond with the perspective of a GW 2L.

How good do your grades have to be to be competitive for non-IP biglaw?

KidStuddi

Postby KidStuddi » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:04 pm

radar714 wrote:
How good do your grades have to be to be competitive for non-IP biglaw?

Through OCI? Top 1/3rd. Probably more more like top quarter. GW is entirely preselect (employers get to choose which students they interview after you bid on them) making OCI great for those at the top and useless for everyone else.

If you're persistent and smart enough to direct write, most people over median ended up with at least a few chances. Unfortunately, a lot of people just assumed a job would be handed to them and didn't do anything but strike out at OCI.

More relevant information will be available after next fall, but obviously that will be too late to impact your decision. My class (2014) is like 80 students bigger than the current 1L class I believe. Not sure how that will change the dynamics.

islandrose0913

Postby islandrose0913 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:47 pm

As a recent GW admit, I have a couple of questions:
1. What are the job prospects like for GW law students wanting to work at government agencies/PI?
2. Is the DC location beneficial in terms of networking opportunities?
3. Do you find that GW law students often must compete with GULC students for the DC market?

Thanks in advance for your input!

KidStuddi

Postby KidStuddi » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:50 am

1. Don't know.

2. I don't know what this question is supposed to mean? If you're asking if being in D.C. beneficial if you want to work in D.C., the answer is yes. If you want to work in California, the answer is no.

3. D.C. is the second biggest legal market in the country after NYC, and probably the most selective. GW students compete for jobs against pretty much every other law school's students. There are six of them in D.C. alone. The entire T14 is full of students who want to work in D.C. too. GW places as well in D.C. as any school in the country, but that's not really saying much because no one places well in D.C.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”